FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Move a forum to a different category
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Move a forum to a different category [message #166137] Tue, 27 September 2011 15:57 Go to next message
j66st is currently offline  j66st   Netherlands
I am reorganizing and want to move a couple of forums to a different category. Is that possible?

Or can this only be performed by creating a new forum of the same name in the new category, then moving all topics over to that new forum, and deleting the then empty forum in the old category?
Re: Move a forum to a different category [message #166138 is a reply to message #166137] Tue, 27 September 2011 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j66st is currently offline  j66st   Netherlands
To answer my own question: follow these steps:

• Go to Forum management and select the old category
  • In the list at the bottom, click the Delete link for the forums you want to move. The forum will not be lost, but saved in the trash bin.
  • Open the trash bin by clicking on the link "Deleted forums" at the top of the page.
  • In the trash bin view you can now assign each of the forums just deleted to a different category.

Re: Move a forum to a different category [message #166139 is a reply to message #166137] Tue, 27 September 2011 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Funny that you mention that! I was certain that versions before 3.0.3 allowed you to move entire forums directly from one category to another, but the other day I needed to do that on a 3.0.3 install and couldn't figure out how to do it!
http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/Forum_Management_System says Move: "This option allows the administrator to move a forum from its current category to a different category"
But the move option is no longer in the management system.

What I did was back everything up! Then delete the entire forum I wanted to move.....! Then open the [deleted forums] section in the 'Forum Management System" and reassigned the forum to the category where I wanted it.

Yes it looks like you figured it out as well!

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Move a forum to a different category [message #166140 is a reply to message #166139] Tue, 27 September 2011 21:01 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Not sure why the "move" control was removed. Will look into it later.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Mailing list confusion
Next Topic: Display problems in Chrome
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 17 10:50:40 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03086 seconds