FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Upgrade script does not work
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Upgrade script does not work [message #980] Mon, 18 March 2002 21:00 Go to next message
basse is currently offline  basse   Finland
I ran the upgrade scripts for 1.x to 1.2.3 and got this:

Must be able to write to the UPDATE_STATUS
Execute the following lines
chmod 777
chmod -f 666 UPDATE_STATUS

I tried to execute the lines but the file UPDATE_STATUS is nowhere to be found. What's wrong?
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #981 is a reply to message #980] Mon, 18 March 2002 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
djupsjob wrote on Mon, 18 March 2002 4:00 PM

I ran the upgrade scripts for 1.x to 1.2.3 and got this:

Must be able to write to the UPDATE_STATUS
Execute the following lines
chmod 777
chmod -f 666 UPDATE_STATUS

I tried to execute the lines but the file UPDATE_STATUS is nowhere to be found. What's wrong?

Nothing wrong, simply you're doing the upgrade for the 1st time and the file is not there...

Your safe_mode settings do not allow the upgrade script to create the file I believe...

Could you tell me what are the permissions (including owner) of the errors directory?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1004 is a reply to message #981] Tue, 19 March 2002 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Tue, 19 March 2002 12:13 AM

Could you tell me what are the permissions (including owner) of the errors directory?

drwxr-xr-x 2 99 apache 4096 mar 8 23:20 errors
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1008 is a reply to message #1004] Tue, 19 March 2002 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Okie 1 last question then, could you please open your GLOBALS.php file and tell me what is the path you have to the error directory.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1016 is a reply to message #1008] Tue, 19 March 2002 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Tue, 19 March 2002 6:43 PM

Okie 1 last question then, could you please open your GLOBALS.php file and tell me what is the path you have to the error directory.

/www/int2000/a/7676/html/forum_data/errors/
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1017 is a reply to message #1016] Tue, 19 March 2002 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
djupsjob wrote on Tue, 19 March 2002 6:29 PM

prottoss wrote on Tue, 19 March 2002 6:43 PM

/www/int2000/a/7676/html/forum_data/errors/

Is this what ALL your GLOBALS.php file say, especially the one in the forum's main web dir?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1034 is a reply to message #1017] Wed, 20 March 2002 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where should the other GLOBALS.php-files be? I can't find any others but the one in forum_data/include.
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1049 is a reply to message #1034] Wed, 20 March 2002 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
There should be ONLY 1 GLOBALS.php file and it should be inside the include dir. There are to symlinks to this file, 1 from adm/ directory and one from the forum's main web dir.

I wanted to make sure you do not have multiple copies of the GLOBALS.php file in your forum installation. Some FTP clients tend to replace simlinks with REAL files when you're uploading.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1052 is a reply to message #1049] Wed, 20 March 2002 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Wed, 20 March 2002 5:53 PM

I wanted to make sure you do not have multiple copies of the GLOBALS.php file in your forum installation. Some FTP clients tend to replace simlinks with REAL files when you're uploading.

OK. No, there are no additional GLOBALS.php files anywhere on the system. But there doesn't seem to be any symlinks either. I should be able to see those with a standard ftp client, shouldn't I?

Do you have any idea as to how I could get the upgrade script to work?
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1055 is a reply to message #1052] Wed, 20 March 2002 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
No symlinks?

Hmmm that would DEFINATELY be a problem.

Try creating them yourself and then run the update script.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1056 is a reply to message #1055] Wed, 20 March 2002 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could it be the lousy safe_mod that's behind the problems again?

This might be a stupid question, but how do I create symlinks with an ftp client? I've never done that before and when I tried it didn't work quite as I expected.
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1057 is a reply to message #1056] Wed, 20 March 2002 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
djupsjob wrote on Wed, 20 March 2002 3:36 PM

Could it be the lousy safe_mod that's behind the problems again?

This might be a stupid question, but how do I create symlinks with an ftp client? I've never done that before and when I tried it didn't work quite as I expected.

the command is called "symlink [source] [dest]"

ex: symlink /some/dir/blah/GLOBALS.php /new/dir/cool/GLOBALS.php

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1065 is a reply to message #1057] Wed, 20 March 2002 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there any other way to do this? All my ftp clients spit out "server said SITE SYMLINK not understood" in one form or another.
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1066 is a reply to message #1065] Wed, 20 March 2002 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
djupsjob wrote on Wed, 20 March 2002 4:59 PM

Is there any other way to do this? All my ftp clients spit out "server said SITE SYMLINK not understood" in one form or another.

you can use php to do that:

exec("ln -s /source/GLOBALS.php /dest/GLOBALS.php");

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1107 is a reply to message #1066] Thu, 21 March 2002 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No success, but no error messages either. I don't know what's wrong with this hosting company...

Can I create the UPDATE_STATUS file myself, instead of relying on the script to do that? Are there other symlinks that should have been created in the first place but wheren't?
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1121 is a reply to message #1107] Thu, 21 March 2002 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The 2 symlinks I've mentioned in previous messages are the only ones that the forum creates.

you can create UPDATE_STATUS file your self by doing:

exec("touch /path/to/file/UPDATE_STATUS");

This way the file will have webserver's UID & GID and the upgrade script will be able to edit the file...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1134 is a reply to message #1121] Thu, 21 March 2002 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just out of curiosity: which parts of the forum can I expect not to work as long as the symlinks are not in place? I have not been able to create them, not with the ftp clients and not with the exec-command.
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1135 is a reply to message #1134] Thu, 21 March 2002 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hm... if the symlinks are not there, I cannot imagine the forum working at all. Could it be that your FTP client is hiding the symlinks from you? Can you running ls -lia via your FTP client?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1143 is a reply to message #1135] Thu, 21 March 2002 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Thu, 21 March 2002 9:38 PM

Hm... if the symlinks are not there, I cannot imagine the forum working at all. Could it be that your FTP client is hiding the symlinks from you? Can you running ls -lia via your FTP client?

OK, the ftp clients must be hiding them for me then because the forum works just beatifully. I tried 'ls -lia' but it shows me exactly the same things as my normal 'ls -l'. No GLOBALS.php-symlinks anywhere.

On the other hand, if the symlinks are there and I cannot see them, the update script should work, shouldn't it?
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1145 is a reply to message #1143] Thu, 21 March 2002 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
yeah it should, I suggest we meet on IRC at some point, its realtime nature would probably help us solve this issue MUCH quicker Smile

Drop by our irc channel #fudforum on irc.openprojects.net and hopefully solve this problem.

From what I recall the MAIN problem was the fact that UPDATE_STATUS file was missing.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade script does not work [message #1151 is a reply to message #980] Thu, 21 March 2002 22:38 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Problem Resolved.

Once again we must thank the person who invented safe_mode in php, for that piece of "brilliant" code.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: E-mail Problem
Next Topic: Error
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 07:34:13 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02725 seconds