FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Error when post topic
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Error when post topic [message #9176] Fri, 14 March 2003 09:55 Go to next message
goddens is currently offline  goddens   United Kingdom
Installation all went fine.

Listing of the forum works fine.

But when I try to create a new topic, I can enter everything, but when I click on 'Create topic', I get the generic error screen.

I cannot find any logs anywhere at all to see what might be wrong.

Can someone tell me how to make the application perform logging?

Also, I don't think this is an installation issue. I had FUDForum working a few months ago, and then it suddenly stopped working with this error. I have performed a re-install, but still the same.

So it could be something that was changed on our machine. But as I can't find any logging, I am now stuck as to how to analyse this problem.
Re: Error when post topic [message #9206 is a reply to message #9176] Sun, 16 March 2003 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm... did you make a clean install of the forum, or did you install over an existing forum?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Error when post topic [message #9219 is a reply to message #9206] Mon, 17 March 2003 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was a completely clean install.

It seems to me to be a problem when it tries to do inserts into the forum database. Listing OK, but creation of new topics not.

Frustrating - great product, and it was working well, and I want to keep using it.

Is there no logging in the application?
Re: Error when post topic [message #9247 is a reply to message #9219] Tue, 18 March 2003 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
There is logging, infact there is a dedicated control panel for viewing errors caused by the forum. As i,s without known the exact error that is happening I cannot do much as far as helping you with the problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Error when post topic [message #9267 is a reply to message #9176] Wed, 19 March 2003 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes there is a logging control panel, but it reports that the logs are empty.

Do I detect in the tone of your previous reply that you think I'm having a go at the quality of the product due to lack of logging.

Sorry, that was not my intention. This product is great. It meets urgent needs I have very well indeed. But I can't use it.

Is there any way you can help me find out what is causing this error? As I say, the error logs are empty.

My system settings (reported on System info) are as follows:

PHP built On: Linux daffy.perf.redhat.com 2.4.18-11smp #1 SMP Thu Aug 15 06:41:59 EDT 2002 i686 unknown
MySQL Version: 3.23.54
PHP Version: 4.1.2
Web Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) PHP/4.1.2 mod_gzip/1.3.19.1a mod_jk/1.1.0
WebServer to PHP interface: apache
Forum Version: 2.3.8
Relavent PHP Settings:
Safe Mode: OFF
Display Errors: ON
File Uploads: OFF
Magic Quotes: ON
Register Globals: ON
Output Buffering: OFF
Disabled Functions: none
PSpell Support: Yes

Any clue here (a long shot I know).
Re: Error when post topic [message #9319 is a reply to message #9267] Mon, 24 March 2003 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Which database system are you using, PostgreSQL or MySQL?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Error when post topic [message #9338 is a reply to message #9176] Mon, 24 March 2003 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MySQL
Re: Error when post topic [message #9346 is a reply to message #9338] Mon, 24 March 2003 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmmm... I see no such problems here, there was an issue with PostgreSQL based forums, but it is limited to only those forums. MySQL based forum (such as this one) work just fine.
The only reason I could see this happening if you are using old version of PHP and have file uploads disabled.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Error when post topic [message #9370 is a reply to message #9176] Tue, 25 March 2003 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But it was working fine, and the version of PHP has not been changed.

The only other thing I can think of is that we set up a virtual host within Apache, which seemed to roughly coincide with when it stopped working.

But I've completely reinstalled it since then, to no avail.

Do you have any idea why there is no error log?
What's the physical location of the logs?
Re: Error when post topic [message #9374 is a reply to message #9370] Tue, 25 March 2003 13:37 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
The forum's error log files are located inside the errors directory and if logs exists the Error Log Viewer control panel should show their contents. One possible cause for lack of log is the fact that the forum has no access to write to the log files.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare yn()
Next Topic: Upgrade suggestions
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 17 09:04:01 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02898 seconds