FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » message storage file, foff and length question  () 1 Vote
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
message storage file, foff and length question [message #31633] Wed, 10 May 2006 20:27 Go to next message
mdruta is currently offline  mdruta   United States
Hello,
We are using FUDFORUM 2.3.2.
I have downloaded the msg_1 file from under the /forum/forum_data/messages/ on a windows machine and opened it in a text editor.
I am now trying to find messages in this file using the 'foff' and 'length' values from fud_msg table and they seem to be off. Tried this for many different messages, none matched.
The messages do look fine online though, so there is no corruption here.
Am I missing something? Am I looking at the wrong file?
Thank you.
Re: message storage file, foff and length question [message #31677 is a reply to message #31633] Thu, 11 May 2006 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Your text editor probably converted \n into \r\n messing up the offset/length information.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: message storage file, foff and length question [message #31685 is a reply to message #31633] Thu, 11 May 2006 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdruta is currently offline  mdruta   United States
Hi Ilia,
Thank you for your answer. Still no luck though. I'm looking at the file using a hex editor and only \xOA characters mark the end-of-the line.
The very first message in the table (at offset 0) has length=159, but that's somewhere in the middle of an img tag, so it cannot be the end of the message.
So I'm still stuck (and frustrated, as this seems pretty straight-forward). Could this be some sort of character encoding issue I'm running into?
Re: message storage file, foff and length question [message #31707 is a reply to message #31685] Sun, 14 May 2006 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The message file is using offset based on binary string lengths so the character encoding plays no role in this instance. If the forum shows the messaqes correctly then the file is definately file and you must be not accessing the offsets correctly.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: message storage file, foff and length question [message #186488 is a reply to message #31707] Mon, 25 August 2014 09:03 Go to previous message
DaveQB is currently offline  DaveQB   

I am fascinated by how this is done. Do you have any further documentation? Unix command line tools to use to extract messages?
Thanks.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Working with a read only database
Next Topic: how to add some new fonts to FUDforum
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Jun 14 14:35:17 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02601 seconds