FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Forum for large hirachical structure
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Forum for large hirachical structure [message #14676] Wed, 19 November 2003 15:02 Go to next message
peduso is currently offline  peduso   Germany
Hello developers,

we have multiple scouttoops here and many of those like a forum on their homepage. so this is our strukture:

• national level 0
    • sub 1 Level 1
      • sub 4 level 2
      • sub 5 level 2
        • sub 6 level 3
        • sub 6 level 3
      • sub 20 level 2
    • sub 2 level 1
      • sub 9 level 2
        • sub 11 level 3
        • sub 12 level 3
      • sub 10 level 2

About 1000 Subs total.

I hope its understandable.

So this 4 level design needs some special treatment. The idea is, to register once for one subs FUDforum and be able to use all forums of all subs with this account. FUD does not fit in this strukture in the moment, I think. All subs need the features of one FUD as standalone but there must be only one machine serving the global FUD for all subs.

Anyone got an idea of what I am thinking about? Smile
Anyone done something like this before?

PeDuSo

hä?
Re: Forum for large hirachical structure [message #14682 is a reply to message #14676] Wed, 19 November 2003 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Sounds like you want sub-forums, which FUDforum does not support.

The alternative maybe to use minimized categories that users can maximize based on their needs.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Forum for large hirachical structure [message #14684 is a reply to message #14682] Wed, 19 November 2003 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peduso is currently offline  peduso   Germany
hm, do you know a (got) forum which supports subforums?

Peter
Re: Forum for large hirachical structure [message #14685 is a reply to message #14684] Wed, 19 November 2003 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I know there are some that do, but you're going to need to use google to find them.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Forum for large hirachical structure [message #15721 is a reply to message #14682] Fri, 02 January 2004 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
Ilia ÐÉÓÁÌ(Á) óÒÄ, 19 îÏÑÂÒÑ 2003 17:20

Sounds like you want sub-forums, which FUDforum does not support.

Is it something you considered and found too hard to implement for your existing code or just something you don't need?

The point is that I would like that too but I still prefer FUD over IPB. I try to figure out if I could make such a change for myself. As far as I see (and I don't see too far) I would need to make the following changes:
  1. Add a field for parent_id in *_forums table
  2. Write a function for listing subforums in the forum views & call it in t=forum
  3. Figure out the nedded changes for the hierarchy line links above the main forum & topic views
  4. Add another selection field in forum management admin to indicacte the parent forum & consequent function changes
  5. Figure out the posts & threads count issue (may be leave them as is, just add # of subforums count beside the forum name like in CMSs?)
  6. May be modify moderator's rights handling & admin allowing to moderate the whole forum with subforums from any level or just one forum.

Did I miss something important?
Is there anything too difficult to work around?
Will that engender much heavier load on the system/slowdowns?

As far as I understandm this would give FUD forum the ability to create unlimited subforum levels. even though I can't imagine a use for more than 3 levels, yet it could be limited in the code, right?

The basic question is: does it worth trying to make such a change (my trying) in your opinion and/or would you be willing to help with minor indications on important places for change if I decide to do it however?

What this question is NOT about: whether you'll be willing to include it as a feature of your forum - I will try to figure it as a hack for others (if successfull) if I can.

P.S. - Oups! bugs? On preview button hit it cicked me to the index of all forums!

Lady of Avalon
Re: Forum for large hierarchical structure [message #15722 is a reply to message #15721] Fri, 02 January 2004 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Slow, awkward (IMHO) and unnecessary thanks to collapsible categories.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Forum for large hierarchical structure [message #15724 is a reply to message #15722] Fri, 02 January 2004 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
Ilia ÐÉÓÁÌ(Á) ðÔÎ, 02 ñÎ×ÁÒÑ 2004 20:17

Slow, awkward (IMHO) and unnecessary thanks to collapsible categories.

But possible? I mean I wouldn't like to dig your code for a week just to discover some workarounds would be too difficult to find comparing to my need for sublevels?
Because there are times when just one level which collapsile cats present is not enough... And a wish for perfection of course wihtout the ability to write the whole new forum myself =)

Lady of Avalon
Re: Forum for large hierarchical structure [message #15726 is a reply to message #15724] Fri, 02 January 2004 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The forum display system was not designed to handle sub-forums, so you won't find any hidden hooks that would allow an easy implementation of this functionality.

Implementing this would be a MAJOR headache.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Forum for large hierarchical structure [message #19735 is a reply to message #15726] Sat, 28 August 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hyperbrain is currently offline  hyperbrain   Germany
Implementing subforums would be a "headache" but what about sub-categories ? IMHO it would be much easier because you don't have to worry about seen/unseen status.

For general it would be more friendly for the user that if you have a lot of forums this forums could be grouped in that way.

greetings

HyperBrain
Re: Forum for large hierarchical structure [message #19737 is a reply to message #19735] Sat, 28 August 2004 15:36 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
I think sub-forums or sub-categories only confuse the structure possibly hiding the content inside the forum completely.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Message Navigator name
Next Topic: Sure would be nice
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 11:21:32 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05196 seconds