FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Better Indentation in Posts?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Better Indentation in Posts? [message #4556] Tue, 30 July 2002 16:10 Go to next message
jbahr is currently offline  jbahr   United States
Forgive me if this is covered (I haven't seen this covered yet). We run a poetry board, but this probably applies to any text posting that requires varying indentation. Most boards I use deny the use of HTML for the usual security reasons, but do supply enough tags to get formatting done. FUDcode is a great start, but one often needs the equivalent of nbsp to get finer control over initial indentation. Justifification isn't enough. This is a big problem on poetry boards where indentation can be as important as line breaks.

Discus, for example, provides a number of special characters that get converted to HTML. It would be great to have a set such as of special character codes for other things as well (copyright symbol, etc.).

Thanks! This is really great software. Easy to install and wicked fast.
Re: Better Indentation in Posts? [message #4559 is a reply to message #4556] Wed, 31 July 2002 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Give me a list of characters you would consider useful, I'll review them and add the ones I believe to be of importance in the next version.

FUDforum Core Developer
Same question two years or so later - [message #21256 is a reply to message #4556] Tue, 23 November 2004 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nayomie is currently offline  nayomie   United States
Our forum is also a poetry forum and we often need funky formatting. I have also disabled HTML and find FUDcode just fine. I like the ability to highlight and select text editing options with buttons as in a word processor. And, of course, the [notag]
[notag] tag works just fine.

But - sometimes I just want to create two or three extra character spaces. Has a FUD equivalent of the HTML   been created in the meantime?

Thanks

[Updated on: Tue, 23 November 2004 23:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Same question two years or so later - [message #21257 is a reply to message #21256] Tue, 23 November 2004 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can use the [pre] tag, text inside this tag will preserve formatting.

Ex.
a                                          b

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Same question two years or so later - [message #21258 is a reply to message #21257] Wed, 24 November 2004 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, I'm aware of the [pre] tag, but the opening and closing tags together count for 11 keystrokes.   is about half of that if I want a quick fix.

Also - a suggestion: like I said, I like the text tools in FUDcode mode - how about adding a one tab space indent? Or maybe a dropdown box with 1 tab sp., 2 tabs, 3 tabs, etc.?

;>p
Re: Same question two years or so later - [message #21259 is a reply to message #21258] Wed, 24 November 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
By editing the post_common.tmpl you can add the tab drop down. I'll need to think about a [tab] tag, it be interesting to hear how many other people find this necessary.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Same question two years or so later - [message #21261 is a reply to message #21259] Wed, 24 November 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After I posted my last message I had that same idea about editing the template to add a drop down box. I'm slowly starting to get ideas about how to tweak things around here. Getting in this deep is new for me, but wheels are turning.

Btw. - I was able to change some things in the css template, but could not find the spot to edit the light blue and medium blue rows on the main forum page (the category and forum names) and Which template is that in?

;>p

[Updated on: Wed, 24 November 2004 01:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Same question two years or so later - [message #21263 is a reply to message #21261] Wed, 24 November 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
These rows use an image background, one it th {} and the other is catdesc I believe. Since they are the only 2 styles using image backgrounds they should be easy to find.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Better Indentation in Posts? [message #21275 is a reply to message #4556] Wed, 24 November 2004 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JamesS is currently offline  JamesS   United States
[tab] would be quite handy for code indentation...
Re: Better Indentation in Posts? [message #21276 is a reply to message #21275] Wed, 24 November 2004 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Code identatation has a[code] and [pre] tag for that purpose which preserve formatting.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Better Indentation in Posts? [message #21317 is a reply to message #4556] Thu, 25 November 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, if you copy and paste code. But, if you are just typing it in off the top of your head it would be nice to have. *shrug* Just giving you another reason for it.
Re: Better Indentation in Posts? [message #21318 is a reply to message #21317] Thu, 25 November 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Even if you are typing the code you'd probably want to have your formatting preserved without having to resort to hacks like [tab]

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Same question two years or so later - [message #21344 is a reply to message #21263] Fri, 26 November 2004 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, those were the correct spots and I found them easily. CatDesc was easy to edit - I just substituted a color for the image path and things looked OK.

However, when I did that for th{}, it resized the row.

Where are those images stored? I was looking at some of the folders on my server and there are certain things I try to open and I get an "access denied" message. All of this back-end stuff is very new to me so I appreciate your help.

;>p
Re: Same question two years or so later - [message #21348 is a reply to message #21344] Fri, 26 November 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
the images are stored inside the thm/default/images directory.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Same question two years or so later - [message #21365 is a reply to message #21348] Sat, 27 November 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aha! Found it - thanks.

;>p
Re: Better Indentation in Posts? [message #21516 is a reply to message #4559] Thu, 02 December 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't see the tab here (which I would still find useful for our writers' workshop), but I do like the indent decrease/increase feature:

http://www.weblynxdesign.com/test_vBulletin/vB.jpg

That button panel is from vBulletin.

;>p
Re: Better Indentation in Posts? [message #21519 is a reply to message #21516] Thu, 02 December 2004 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just from the screenshot I am going to assume that the panel only works with IE.
Re: Better Indentation in Posts? [message #21522 is a reply to message #21519] Thu, 02 December 2004 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I presume the ident make the entire paragraph indented a certain amount, or is it a single line only?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Better Indentation in Posts? [message #21547 is a reply to message #21522] Fri, 03 December 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   United States
The indent covers the entire paragraph. It acts like HTML BLOCKQUOTE.

Re: Better Indentation in Posts? [message #21554 is a reply to message #21547] Fri, 03 December 2004 14:51 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
I thought about adding such a tag, but the problem is that it can abused to screw up the page layout by moving the text too far to the right or the left.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Mass emails
Next Topic: class gzip_encode
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 15 08:40:06 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04733 seconds