FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Forum Styles » changing the page layout
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
changing the page layout [message #14693] Wed, 19 November 2003 16:30 Go to next message
bobmurphy is currently offline  bobmurphy   Ireland
are there any general guidelines to changing the location of the various parts of the forum ? - i have a few changes i need to make;

a few examples - i want to move the line Show: Today's Posts :: Unanswered Posts :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator to the bottom of the page as i dont anticipate the users will use it !!!
also i want to move the register/reset bar on the register page up higher so that it appears just under the required fields and above the optionals ( actually a duplicate set would even be better !! )
lastly but most important i need to adjust the layout of the login form so that it takes up less vertical space ( and more horizontal ) as i have the forum installed in a window and i dont want the users to have to scroll down to hit the login button.

these are really just examples - what would be ideal is if someone could give me some rough general pointers, thanks
Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 19 November 2003 16:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: changing the page layout [message #14695 is a reply to message #14693] Wed, 19 November 2003 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
There are no general guidlines, the templating system gives you a complete freedom of action, you can do whatever you want.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: changing the page layout [message #26879 is a reply to message #14695] Fri, 19 August 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
langer is currently offline  langer   Australia
Any tips for centering the site? I have adjusted the width to 770px, and want to center it. Driving me nuts!!
Re: changing the page layout [message #26880 is a reply to message #26879] Fri, 19 August 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
<div align="center">

usually does the trick.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: changing the page layout [message #26882 is a reply to message #26880] Fri, 19 August 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not for me it didn't..

However, this does work
body {
	background: #E5E5E5;
	text-align:center; /* for IE */
	font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, "Myriad Web", Syntax, sans-serif;
	font-size: 12px;
}

div.wrapper {
	text-align:center; /* reset text alignment */
	width:760;
	margin: auto;  /*for the rest */
}

with the extra div.

Only problem is that <pre> content does not add horizontal scroll bars in IE only, making the page width go to max. This does not appear to be related to my changes?!?
Re: changing the page layout [message #26888 is a reply to message #26882] Fri, 19 August 2005 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Inside message body?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: changing the page layout [message #26901 is a reply to message #14693] Sat, 20 August 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry. I'm not sure what you mean??
Re: changing the page layout [message #26910 is a reply to message #26901] Sat, 20 August 2005 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
In which instances does <pre> tag cause problem, which part of the page it is in?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: changing the page layout [message #26921 is a reply to message #14693] Sun, 21 August 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.portability.com.au/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=12&start=0

Just fine in firefox, and all other pages ok in IE except this one, which I asssume is because of <pre> tags...
Re: changing the page layout [message #26923 is a reply to message #26921] Sun, 21 August 2005 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, pre tag is controlled by CSS, I suspect you may need some IE specific hack to address the "stretch" problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: changing the page layout [message #26988 is a reply to message #14693] Wed, 24 August 2005 06:03 Go to previous message
simple fix was all that was required...

just add width attribute to div.pre in CSS to prevent IE blowing it out of site width.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Change Format/Theme Question
Next Topic: A slight modification of the default theme
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 15 07:53:34 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02793 seconds