FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » General Chit Chat » Can I / should I try doing this with FUDforum?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Can I / should I try doing this with FUDforum? [message #27469] Fri, 09 September 2005 07:27 Go to next message
headspin is currently offline  headspin   United States
Hi, I haven't done anything web-related in years, even though I was right there with C, Perl and CGI 10 years ago. Now I'd like to start a personal web site, and I'm not really sure if I can do what I want with software like FUDforum or maybe another type.

What I want is a way for me to post articles and have people respond to them - close to a blog. However...

* I'm not interested in an index page - the articles may make no sense when viewed in chronological order; I can write a page that lists them all in logical order, with links to the right pages.

* I want to have a view that only shows the article (and maybe a number of replies, click here to view) and never directly show the other forums or articles.

* Except for that forum which shouldn't typically be accessed directly (only for the main page) I still want to have other forums and give users the normal forum abilities - create threads, respond to each other in the threads or in PMs, etc.

Can I do this with FUDforum (or maybe with similar software)? Is there maybe some other type of software that's better suited to my needs?

Re: Can I / should I try doing this with FUDforum? [message #27487 is a reply to message #27469] Fri, 09 September 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
if you want a blogging software you really should use a blogging software like s9y for example. A forum CAN be modified and adjusted to very closely resemble a blog, the basic functionality, post mesages and have people reply to them is common...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Can I / should I try doing this with FUDforum? [message #27514 is a reply to message #27487] Sat, 10 September 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
headspin is currently offline  headspin   United States
Here's the problem: a blog and a forum have a lot - almost everything - in common: the need to register users, verify them, let them post comments, moderate comments, etc etc. It's just a small part - who creates the articles, how they're connected, and how the list of articles is viewed - that's different. If the system is flexible enough, I could create some kind of 'blog article view (with comments)' and 'blog article view (without comments)' for a forum thread, and be almost done. If not... I need to find a forum and blog that work in tandem (single registration / single login, look and feel as close as makes sense).
Re: Can I / should I try doing this with FUDforum? [message #27536 is a reply to message #27514] Sun, 11 September 2005 17:27 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, FUDforum provides APIs from nearly every operation you can think of (look inside the scripts/ directory) so it'd be easily integretable with another app. That said you can use that very same API to use the forum as an engine and blog-like data presentation layer.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: moderation queue
Next Topic: http://acidgraffix.com/forum/index.php - cool new forum
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Jun 14 19:58:49 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05021 seconds