FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Show my posts link
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Show my posts link [message #14307] Wed, 12 November 2003 04:43 Go to next message
hy2jinxnc is currently offline  hy2jinxnc   United States

I think it would be nice to have a "show my posts" link in the Show line at the top once the user is logged in. Similar to viewing a member's info and clicking the "show all posts by...".

This would allow the user to quickly find something they have posted and see any replies to it. Post notification is nice, but some folks sign up with their home emails that they cannot easily monitor at work or maybe they are at a public station and just want to check in quickly.

And a quick thanks to the programmers for a great bit of work. You might just change my mind about forums. Very Happy
Re: Show my posts link [message #14320 is a reply to message #14307] Wed, 12 November 2003 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Show all my posts & post notification are unrelated because one would show you your own posts and the other notify you of new messages posted by other users and the other. For the new/unread posts you can already use the "unread messages" links.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Show my posts link [message #14337 is a reply to message #14320] Wed, 12 November 2003 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

"Show my posts" and "post notification" are unrelated unless one considers them/their use a certain way. "Post notification" is great in that it lets one know there is a reply to their post and lets one go right to the topic and post in question. However it requires being able to monitor one's email.

If one prefers not to have such things coming to their email - low storage due to email viruses, only have email at work, email service is not reliable, just because, etc; it can be hard, in a forum that generates an average of 150 posts per hour for example, to wade through current discussions to first find the topic and then your past post to see if anyone has replied to it.

However, I, and others, have found that by looking up one's login name in Member Search and then clicking "Show all posts by..." one can quickly access topics one is involved in and see if there are any replies. Actually I think that having a tab in the user's profile that would show unread replies to the user's posts would be a nicer feature, but I assumed the "show my posts" link would be easier to implement because there is already a foundation for it.

Unread messages is not the same to me in that it simply shows everything that hasn't been seen, often with little context since quote-backs seem to be rare in pure (ie no nntp back-end that is the primary form of access) forums. Not to mention it can be rather lengthy to wade through in a high volume forum. I do think, though, that unread messages is a handy view to have in the case of a support forum or a low volume forum.
Re: Show my posts link [message #14341 is a reply to message #14337] Wed, 12 November 2003 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Unread messages can be limited to a particular forum and even to forum/topics you subscribe to. To me browsing through my own posts to look for unread messages seems rather cumbersome and uncomfortable.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Show my posts link [message #14352 is a reply to message #14341] Wed, 12 November 2003 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

It's ok. Just a thought. Smile
Re: Show my posts link [message #37863 is a reply to message #14352] Tue, 26 June 2007 20:54 Go to previous message
gordon is currently offline  gordon   United States
I have used boards before that allow you to view all of the threads you have posted to. If there is any new activity on one of the threads it is highlighted and moved to the top of the list. It was the first thing I checked on the board to see if anyone had replied to me. I do not like the email notifications because the only time I want to know is when I get on the site to get caught up with what I had been working on. I think it is a great feature to have.

Gordon
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: From header when sending to mailing list
Next Topic: Holiday mode/ Disable mail notifications
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 11:07:10 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03273 seconds