FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » General Chit Chat » remote images
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
remote images [message #9722] Wed, 16 April 2003 01:20 Go to next message
philip is currently offline  philip   United States
Was looking at a members profile today and noticed a linked image that's hosted on geocities. This remote image (their avatar) does not show up, it's a broken image! But, loading it directly works fine.

Is this a new trend? I've looked around and it appears many large free hosts are disallowing such use. What happened to those times when everything was free free FREE!!! :-)

In relation to fudforum and a possible fluff feature, it can check the images and if hosted on known disallowers, it won't be allowed. Users should know better to not post the link but maybe fudforum can teach a few people why it's happening.

I put this in general chit-chat because, well, just because :)
Re: remote images [message #9724 is a reply to message #9722] Wed, 16 April 2003 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a pretty cool article:

Keeping Your Images from Adorning Other Sites:
http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/1132731
Re: remote images [message #9725 is a reply to message #9724] Wed, 16 April 2003 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Actually FUDforum does not link to remote images for URL avatars, the images are downloaded once and served of a local server. This is done mostly for security but it prevents problems due fickle web-hosts who disallow remote image linking.
Keep track of fickle hosts in nign impossible, since it's generally a good policy to disallow people to link to large files (images) off your server.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: remote images [message #9726 is a reply to message #9725] Wed, 16 April 2003 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Somehow this user has an url as the image, and it's in the profile under "image" and being called through the img tag remotely. The image url came straight out of her profile source html, swear to god! The image does show at first (cache) but dies on reload. This is also the first and only avatar used in my forum :)

I just created a user, tried the url and get "The specified url does not contain a valid image" and notice it's too large (over the 3000byte limit) but still, this doesn't explain how she has this url in her profile image tag. I can't replicate this and am PMing you the profile link now. The image does meet dimension requirements, just not size. I lack mogrify.

Avatar approval requirement is on yet no approvals have been requested or made, custom = All, 2.3.9rc1.

Re: remote images [message #9859 is a reply to message #9726] Sat, 03 May 2003 17:59 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
That's something else, that is user image, user has an option to specify a URL to an image other then their avatar that would be displayed on their profile. This can be anything such as a photo of themselves or a picture of their favorite car etc...

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Fud Gods
Next Topic: Fud installer - where did the technology come from?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 13:09:31 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02674 seconds