FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Multiple groups in one
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Multiple groups in one [message #17140] Thu, 18 March 2004 09:21 Go to next message
humus is currently offline  humus   Norway
I know I'm pushing it, but hey - these are only suggestions to keep FUD five steps ahead!

Say you have split a topic into several groups. E.g. "Soccer" - with subgroups "Premier League", "national soccer", "international soccer" etc.

Now, some users are only interested in one of those groups, and will stay there. But others like to discuss everything concerning soccer, and HATE having to jump back and forth between those different groups to keep up-to-date.

Now, to keep them happy, would it be possible to give them the option to see all messages from several group gathered in one group? See what I mean?

One way to do it could be to define a "personal" page in their profile, where they can choose which groups they are interested in. Then they can open their "custom" page, whith the latest threads from several groups gathered.

Another, simpler(?) way might be to be able to split the current groups into sub-groups. Eg. you would have a group "Soccer", with the sub-groups "national,", "international" aso. If you click the main group "soccer", you'd get the threads from all the sub-groups.

Am I way off? 'Cause I really see the point of this in a forum with 200.000+ registered users an 3 million+ messages...

Re: Multiple groups in one [message #17147 is a reply to message #17140] Thu, 18 March 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Use subscriptions to do the same thing. Let users subscribe to the forums/topics they are interested in and then they can easily view messages inside just those topics/forums.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Multiple groups in one [message #17190 is a reply to message #17147] Fri, 19 March 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I can see, it's not the same thing. When you subscribe, you only gather links to the different forums/topics, and you still have to click back and forth, right?

What I 'm thinking about, is the possibility of "merging" the topics from several groups into one. Like here - if I'd like to see all topics from "FUDforum Installation Issues" and "FUDforum Suggestions", I'd have the option to create a "custom" group or something similar which looks exactly like the other groups, but which contains all the topics of both.

But yes, I guess what we're really talking about is a further improvement of the subscription page.
Re: Multiple groups in one [message #17194 is a reply to message #17190] Fri, 19 March 2004 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Not quite. If you use the controls at the left hand corner you can browse messages across all forums & topics that you are subscribed to.
Re: Multiple groups in one [message #17197 is a reply to message #17140] Fri, 19 March 2004 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Oh yes, there is also the subscription browser inside the user's control options that could allow easy browsing of subscribed to topics & forums.
Re: Multiple groups in one [message #17234 is a reply to message #17197] Sat, 20 March 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm... I seem to be just too plain stupid to figure this out. Sorry. Or are the features you mention disabled on this forum?

However - if I read you correctly, I should be able to read new messages from all forums I subscribe to on one page. That's not quite what I was thinking.

What I meant was being able to merge the THREADS from different groups into one. Taking it straight down to message level would be too detailed when you have two groups with 1000+ new messages each every day.

I'm really sorry to have to keep nagging 'bout this - but hey, if I can't figure it out, chances are our readers won't be able to do i eather... Confused
Re: Multiple groups in one [message #17252 is a reply to message #17234] Sun, 21 March 2004 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
On the forum's front page you have several links at the top left corner such as "unread messages", "today's messages" etc... Clicking on one of these links will display all matching messages, additionally you can then apply "subscribed topics/forums" filter to limit the output to just the subscribed content.
Re: Multiple groups in one [message #17263 is a reply to message #17252] Mon, 22 March 2004 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK. That's neat enough (doesnt' work in Opera, BTW, but that's no big deal).

BUT: This means I'll get every single message - and that's too much when the traffic is high.

I've tried to illustrate exactly what I'm looking for here. This is an example of what a "custom page" might look like. In this example, the user is "subscribing" to two forums: FUDforum Suggestions and FUDforum Installation Issues. As you see, the threads from those two forums are merges into one, neat group - with all the threads in reversed chronological - same as normal.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1051

[Updated on: Mon, 22 March 2004 14:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Multiple groups in one [message #17266 is a reply to message #17263] Mon, 22 March 2004 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've just tried it in opera 7.21 and works just fine, that page uses nothing other then plain html, so there are no browser specific problems.

Given the number of existing of message/topic view formats adding yet another would just add to the confusion.
Re: Multiple groups in one [message #17295 is a reply to message #17266] Tue, 23 March 2004 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Mon, 22 March 2004 09:54

Given the number of existing of message/topic view formats adding yet another would just add to the confusion.

Sad ...ok... You're the Boss, so I'll have to see if I can get someone here to work on it, because I really think it's a very useful feature, and without it I might not be able to use FUD for our forum.

I agree that there are a lot of view formats, but they all take you straight down to the single-message level.

Keep in mind that our newspaper is running a forum with 3000+ new messages every day. Even if a user only subscribes to two or three forums, using the existing filters he'd still get hundreds of new messages to try and relate to - filling lots of pages. That's simply too much.

That said, don't think I don't like FUD - I really think it's the best piece of code I've seen out there! Respect.
Re: Multiple groups in one [message #17300 is a reply to message #17295] Tue, 23 March 2004 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Please keep in mind that I do not necessarily think the functionality is bad, it is just that it is not applicable to most situations. You have a rather unique situation with extremely high traffic, so features such as this maybe applicable.
Re: Multiple groups in one [message #17310 is a reply to message #17300] Wed, 24 March 2004 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They defintely are - I might even say they're necessary too keep control over the content of the forum.

But does this mean that you doubt that FUD is the right tool for us? Which is, as far as you know, the largest forum using FUD as of today?
Re: Multiple groups in one [message #17318 is a reply to message #17310] Thu, 25 March 2004 16:00 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
I am not saying that, just that this is a very specialized tool that even on large forums is not always useful. FUDforum is sufficiently fast to use the existing interface on large forums.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Multiple deletion/moving
Next Topic: Option don't show last visit
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 15 01:07:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02554 seconds