FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Unexpected Search Results
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Unexpected Search Results [message #16488] Mon, 02 February 2004 09:20 Go to next message
theboyhope is currently offline  theboyhope   United Kingdom

I can't seem to get the search working properly in FUD. For example, "CSS" must have been mentioned a million times but returns no results.

We're considering a move from phpBB and an improved search facility is one of the main reasons.

Is CSS too short to be indexed or something?
Re: Unexpected Search Results [message #16493 is a reply to message #16488] Tue, 03 February 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Works fine, I just search for "CSS" on this forum and found 2 pages of results.

If you have converted from phpBB to FUDforum using the conversion script, you need to click on the "rebuild search index" link in the admin control panel that will build the search database based on imported messages.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Unexpected Search Results [message #16501 is a reply to message #16488] Tue, 03 February 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I've already rebuilt the search index. (Sorry - I might have mentioned that, eh.Rolling Eyes)

I do believe I've found my answer though: http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Fulltext_Fine-tuning.html

Quote:

The minimum length of words to be indexed is defined by the MySQL variable ft_min_word_len. See section 13.5.3.4 SHOW VARIABLES. (This variable is only available from MySQL version 4.0.) The default value is four characters. Change it to the value you prefer, and rebuild your FULLTEXT indexes. For example, if you want three-character words to be searchable, you can set this variable by putting the following lines in an option file:

[mysqld]
ft_min_word_len=3

Then restart the server and rebuild your FULLTEXT indexes.

Re: Unexpected Search Results [message #16513 is a reply to message #16501] Tue, 03 February 2004 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum does not use MySQL's FULLTEXT.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Unexpected Search Results [message #16514 is a reply to message #16488] Tue, 03 February 2004 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Oh. I just assumed it did.

Bearing in mind that I've already rebuilt the search index ... any ideas?
Re: Unexpected Search Results [message #16526 is a reply to message #16514] Wed, 04 February 2004 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you are using FUDforum version 2.6.0 the indexing code had a mis-feature and didn't index words <4 characters long. This is fixed in CVS and will appear in the next release.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Unexpected Search Results [message #16533 is a reply to message #16488] Wed, 04 February 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I had a crack at updating the code ( as shown here: http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=2426) but now I'm just getting errors when I try to rebuild the search index.

When is the next release?
Re: Unexpected Search Results [message #16596 is a reply to message #16533] Mon, 09 February 2004 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
When it is ready, probably before the end of this month.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Unexpected Search Results [message #16611 is a reply to message #16488] Tue, 10 February 2004 00:06 Go to previous message

Excellent. Cheers. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: More category- og forum-levels
Next Topic: wrapping smilies
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon May 13 04:04:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03467 seconds