FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » admin control panel - finding users
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
admin control panel - finding users [message #17856] Thu, 22 April 2004 20:55 Go to next message
lahoo is currently offline  lahoo   Sweden
My forum will just have a limited amount of users, less than 30 I think. When about to perform actions on users in the admin control panel a search form is shown.

In cases like mine gatting the full list of users, the first n (n=20 or so) users with possibility to go to the next n and/or a list of all letters in the alphabet being hyperlinks to searches on users having that letter initially in their username/alias would be nice.

If you think all of these ideas are crappy at least set focus() on the first firm field when pages in the admin control panel is loaded. This would make life easier for us keyboard-centric users. Removing the burden in having to locate the field, place the pointer over it and clicking to set focus would be nice. That's the way I build all my web applications - enterprise-wide or just for private purposes.
Re: admin control panel - finding users [message #17861 is a reply to message #17856] Thu, 22 April 2004 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
When you are logged in as the admin and are browsing the regular member list, you will see "Admin Opts" column with quick links to ban, edit and delete the user.

As far as automatic focus setting, that sounds like a good idea, I'll look into it.
Re: admin control panel - finding users [message #17873 is a reply to message #17856] Fri, 23 April 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newbie   United States
lahoo wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 16:55

at least set focus() on the first firm field when pages in the admin control panel is loaded. This would make life easier for us keyboard-centric users. Removing the burden in having to locate the field, place the pointer over it and clicking to set focus would be nice. That's the way I build all my web applications - enterprise-wide or just for private purposes.

I hate when sites set focus to anything. It screws over the "find as you type" feature that I use all the time in Mozilla. With this feature, jumping to the field I wish to go to is as easy as hitting "/" then typing a few of the letters that are part of the words in front of the field that I wish to go to then hitting tab. That way I could jump to almost any form field after loading a page (no matter how far down that field is), entirely via keyboard without touching my mouse.

[Updated on: Fri, 23 April 2004 09:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: admin control panel - finding users [message #17874 is a reply to message #17873] Fri, 23 April 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lahoo is currently offline  lahoo   Sweden
Citat:

I hate when sites set focus to anything. It screws over the "find as you type" feature that I use all the time in Mozilla. With this feature, jumping to the field I wish to go to is as easy as hitting "/" then typing a few of the letters that are part of the words in front of the field that I wish to go to then hitting tab. That way I could jump to almost any form field after loading a page (no matter how far down that field is), entirely via keyboard without touching my mouse.

In the case of searching for users in the admin control panel these pages, afaik, just contain two fields. Other admin pages may contain more but what's the problem in hitting tab to get to the field you choose?

Bear in mind that the user society of Mozilla is really tiny. For the vast majority of the users the feature I suggested will be a benefit.

[Updated on: Fri, 23 April 2004 11:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: admin control panel - finding users [message #17875 is a reply to message #17874] Fri, 23 April 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The admin control panels will be left as is for now. What I have done is added tabindex to the forms that previously did not have it and set focus on user forms.
Re: admin control panel - finding users [message #17879 is a reply to message #17875] Fri, 23 April 2004 14:46 Go to previous message
newbie   United States
awesome!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Avatar, post count and tagline persistence
Next Topic: Polls and text
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue May 14 18:29:57 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03351 seconds