FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Notifications and themes
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon4.gif  Notifications and themes [message #17955] Tue, 27 April 2004 15:18 Go to next message
wfjmueller is currently offline  wfjmueller   Germany
Currently, the language used for a notification email is determined from the 'theme' the posting user has chosen. In a forum setup like this one, where the 'forum language' is english, but folks from many countries participate, some will pick a 'theme' in their local language. So if they post, the notifications will be send in their local language to all subscribers. This way, a guy from Spain gets a notification in russian about a posting in english....

Clearly, the logically correct way in this case would be to determine the language of the notification from the theme of the recipient.

I'm aware, that this breaks the whole theme logic, but maybe there is a simple way to reach the same effect.
Re: Notifications and themes [message #17958 is a reply to message #17955] Tue, 27 April 2004 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
It is recommended to have separate forums within the larger forum install for each language. The technical issue with solving this problem is speed. Having to send a message in the recipient language would require the forum to generate individual (e-mail) message content for each notification recipient and send it to them. This would be quite slow since non-current theme code is not in lined and in addition to extra body/subject processing also require a number of includes.

At this time I do not see a solution would not sacrifice inordinate amount of performance to correct the situation.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Notifications and themes [message #17976 is a reply to message #17958] Wed, 28 April 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wfjmueller is currently offline  wfjmueller   Germany
I perfectly see your point, sending the notifications based on the recipient theme causes too much overhead. But separate forums isn't a solution either. Take this very forum. The forum language is obviously English. However individual users sometime use a theme in their native language. So I got some time ago a notification in Russian:

Quote:

Для просмотра темы следуйте по указанной ссылке:
http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=rview&goto=17609

Если вы не хотите получать извещения о новых темах в этом форуме в дальнейшем, следуйте по этой ссылке:
http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=rview&unsub=1&frm_id=7

Clearly, this wasn't a real problem, I clicked on the link Razz .

A solution for forums like this might be to define a 'board lanuage' and introduce the installation configuration option, that notifications are send in the board language, independent of the chosen theme.

But this is something for the backlog, certainly not an pressing issue.
Re: Notifications and themes [message #17979 is a reply to message #17976] Wed, 28 April 2004 13:31 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
This forum is an exception of sorts where multilingual themes are only enabled for the sake of demonstrating their availability. This forum does not have any forums specifically targeted towards users of a specific language, which is the common situations on forums that use this functionality 'for real'.

Board language setting maybe be an interesting solution to the problem that I'll need to consider.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Polls and text
Next Topic: Rebuild all themes
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue May 14 02:00:01 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03878 seconds