FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » New question for FAQ System  () 1 Vote
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
New question for FAQ System [message #24101] Fri, 15 April 2005 05:52 Go to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi,

Please consider adding the following question to the FAQ/ Help System. I've lost track of how many times I had to tell people how to post to the forum.

Q) How does one post messages to this forum? (add it as the second faq)

A) If required, you need to register and login to the forum. After selecting a forum, you will see a "New Topic" buttons on top and at the bottom of the page. If you select a topic/post, you will see the "Post Reply" and "Reply" buttons.

Best regards.

Frank

Re: New question for FAQ System [message #24199 is a reply to message #24101] Tue, 19 April 2005 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I just received another complaint:

"I'm sorry for this question... however I cannot find any info on how to post a question... that's it??? thx Karen"

It would be great if such a question can be added to the Help/FAQ system. If not, I will have to add it to mine only Sad

Best regards.

Frank
Re: New question for FAQ System [message #24231 is a reply to message #24199] Wed, 20 April 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Added to CVS.
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=3508

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New question for FAQ System [message #24239 is a reply to message #24231] Wed, 20 April 2005 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Perfect - thank you so much!
Re: New question for FAQ System [message #24450 is a reply to message #24239] Thu, 28 April 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Please fix this spelling mistake in CVS:

priveleges -> privileges:

"...or register on the forum to gain posting privileges or that the posting in this forum is restricted."

Also, can you please add an FAQ entry for this question:

"How do I subscribe/ get notified of new forum posts?"

Best regards.

Frank
Re: New question for FAQ System [message #24460 is a reply to message #24450] Thu, 28 April 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Typo corrected. Given that subscriptions are "one link/button" click event I feel there is no need to explicitly document them. If we start documenting every "obvious" operation the operational "manual" would become unwieldy.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New question for FAQ System [message #24475 is a reply to message #24460] Thu, 28 April 2005 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   South Africa
Hi,

Well, a user contacted me to ask how they can subscribe. Being lazy as I am, I thought this needs to be documented somewhere so I can reply: "please read the FAQ"!

Would it make more sense to group forum subscription and messages under a single FAQ heading?

Best regards.

Frank
Re: New question for FAQ System [message #24476 is a reply to message #24475] Thu, 28 April 2005 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dennisp is currently offline  dennisp   Belize
Hi nce again illia,
about sbuscriptions......

I know that when you post a msg, you are subscribed to it and automotically get notified if someone replies.....

how do i turn of this notification by default....??
regards
Re: New question for FAQ System [message #24477 is a reply to message #24476] Thu, 28 April 2005 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
There is an option to turn this off inside your profile.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New question for FAQ System [message #24478 is a reply to message #24475] Thu, 28 April 2005 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Anonymous wrote on Thu, 28 April 2005 13:52

Hi,

Well, a user contacted me to ask how they can subscribe. Being lazy as I am, I thought this needs to be documented somewhere so I can reply: "please read the FAQ"!

Would it make more sense to group forum subscription and messages under a single FAQ heading?

Best regards.

Frank

Users are ... well ... users. There are always be questions, if we try to document every possible questions, we may as well halt development and spend the rest of our lives writing documentation. And probably not be done still...
I agree that less then obvious parts of the application should be documented, but documenting something that is a single click?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New question for FAQ System [message #24480 is a reply to message #24476] Thu, 28 April 2005 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dennisp is currently offline  dennisp   Belize
dennisp wrote on Thu, 28 April 2005 14:32

Hi nce again illia,
about sbuscriptions......

I know that when you post a msg, you are subscribed to it and automotically get notified if someone replies.....

how do i turn of this notification by default....??
regards

illia replied with

There is an option to turn this off inside your profile.

yes i know..but i want it off by default.....for everyone..
which bit is set to turn this off for everyone by default...?

if someone wants notifycation, then they can, on their own chhnage it in their own profile but by default it should be off
Smile
where do i do it?
regards
Re: New question for FAQ System [message #24481 is a reply to message #24480] Thu, 28 April 2005 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Modify register.php.t to turn it off by default for all users.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New question for FAQ System [message #24482 is a reply to message #24478] Thu, 28 April 2005 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Quote:

Users are ... well ... users. There are always be questions, if we try to document every possible questions, we may as well halt development and spend the rest of our lives writing documentation. And probably not be done still..

Well, thank you for at least considering it. I will update my forum's FAQ templates and be done with it.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: New question for FAQ System [message #24558 is a reply to message #24482] Tue, 03 May 2005 11:06 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
For those forum administrators that want to add this FAQ to their forum templates, here are the suggested text:

How do I subscribe/unsubscribe to/from forums and topics?

If you want to receive notifications when someone adds a new topic to a forum, click on the "Subscribe" (or Unsubscribe) link - top left corner of the particular forum's page.

Users are automatically subscribed to all topics they participate in (unless disabled by the user or forum administrator). Users can also click on the "Subscribe to topic" (or "Unsubscribe from topic") link to be notified of replies added to a particular topic. This link is presented when a topic thread is displayed.

To list your current subscriptions, navigate to the "User CP" -> "Subscriptions" page. Click the "unsubscribe" link next to any undesirable subscriptions.

Best regards.

Frank
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) (Vote For It!)
Next Topic: Enhancement request: Reduce consistency check lock time
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue May 14 00:13:35 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02888 seconds