FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Mailing list configuration
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Mailing list configuration [message #20481] Sat, 16 October 2004 15:08 Go to next message
beorning is currently offline  beorning   Egypt
The solution is probably right under my nose, but that makes it invisible to me.

I have installed 2.6.6 on a linux server using Exim for mail processing. I am using mailman on the same domain to host the list in order to keep testing all in one place.
(I imagine this could be a problem in the long run, but for now dupes in the forum would be a welcome sight Wink )

I have set a filter and when I test it get the following result.

Quote:

Filter Trace Results:

Condition is true: $header_subject: contains eureka
Return-path copied from sender
Sender = webster(at)server3(dot)aplusservers(dot)com
Recipient = webster(at)server3(dot)aplusservers(dot)com
Testing Exim filter file "/etc/vfilters/nmweb.org"

Save message to: /home/webster/CIGforum/scripts/maillist.php 4 0660
Filtering set up at least one significant delivery or other action.
No other deliveries will occur.

AFAICS that means things are working. But the posts do not appear in the forum.

I have beaten my poor brain silly trying to get this to work. You are my last hope.

Orcs and trolls beware
Re: Mailing list configuration [message #20482 is a reply to message #20481] Sat, 16 October 2004 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I am not familair with Exim, so please bare with me here Smile

1) Does the exim filter actually pipe the message to the script or does it pass it as an argument?

2) Have you tried adding some debug code to the maillist.php script to see if it actually runs properly? (Did you by any chance forgot to unlock the forum?)

3) Try saving 1 message to a text file (headers n'all) and then run
cat message_file | /home/webster/CIGforum/scripts/maillist.php 4

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing list configuration [message #20484 is a reply to message #20482] Sat, 16 October 2004 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1 - I do not know for sure, but exim seems to pipe the whole message.

2 - n00b - don't know what debug code I would use.

As to the second half of the question - now I have real trouble. I went to unlock the files and it said they seemed unlocked, but I could try to hit the unlock button again (you know the drill, I'm sure.) I got literally around 600 lines of errors.

The paths are convoluted and shortened.

an example
Warning: opendir(public_html): failed to open dir: No such file or directory in /home/webster/public_html/cigforum/adm/admlock.php on line 42
ERROR: Unable to open "public_html" directory
ERROR: couldn't chmod "/home/webster/public_html/cigforum/../forumold/./blank.gif"
ERROR: couldn't chmod "/home/webster/public_html/cigforum/../forumold/./lib.js"
ERROR: couldn't chmod "/home/webster/public_html/cigforum/../forumold/./php.php"

Forumold is an earlier installation of fudforum that was trashed and renamed. I don't see why it even comes into the picture. The present installation (cigforum) used a completely new mysql database.

3 - sorry - no shell access at the moment

Orcs and trolls beware
Re: Mailing list configuration [message #20485 is a reply to message #20484] Sat, 16 October 2004 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
big crap

I can't access the forum via browser 403 permission error

Orcs and trolls beware
Re: Mailing list configuration [message #20486 is a reply to message #20485] Sat, 16 October 2004 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm I think you were running an old version 2.6.5 or 2.6.6 that has a bug with locking/unlocking. The 1st step is to upgrade the forum to 2.6.7RC2.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing list configuration [message #20487 is a reply to message #20486] Sat, 16 October 2004 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
d/led 2.6.7rc2 and ftp'd to the folder cigforum. set permission to 777 point browser to it and get a permission to access error along with 403 forbidden error

My entire site is toast. I am running an invision board on the same site, it also forbids access.

Nice bug Evil or Very Mad

Orcs and trolls beware
Re: Mailing list configuration [message #20488 is a reply to message #20487] Sat, 16 October 2004 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm I have to wonder what were the initial permissions to allow the forum to chmod directories it didn't have permissions to in the 1st place, unless all files were chmoded 666 in the 1st place.

You can run a unix commands:
"find -type f | chmod 644"
and
"find -type d | chmod 755"

These should restore the permissions.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing list configuration [message #20493 is a reply to message #20488] Sun, 17 October 2004 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Sat, 16 October 2004 16:02

Hmm I have to wonder what were the initial permissions to allow the forum to chmod directories it didn't have permissions to in the 1st place, unless all files were chmoded 666 in the 1st place.

You can run a unix commands:
"find -type f | chmod 644"
and
"find -type d | chmod 755"

These should restore the permissions.

As I said, I have no shell access on my server, only cpanel access. I have sent the script to my wholesaler, hopefully he will be able to run them in my space.

Orcs and trolls beware
Re: Mailing list configuration [message #20494 is a reply to message #20493] Sun, 17 October 2004 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can run it via PHP

<?php
shell_exec("the commands I gave you, one at a time");
?>

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing list configuration [message #20499 is a reply to message #20494] Sun, 17 October 2004 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but the entire site is unaccessible
I can access the cpanel
but can't reach any other http access

and no response from the wholesaler yet

If I can't run the script, how do I get back on-line. How could the script in fudforum have fucked me up so completely!!??

Orcs and trolls beware

[Updated on: Sun, 17 October 2004 18:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mailing list configuration [message #20500 is a reply to message #20499] Sun, 17 October 2004 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Upload it via ftp.

The only way this could've happened is that your files were all chmoded in such a way as to allow an application running as a webserver to change their permission. Normally, the worse thing the bug you were affected could do is screw up the forum's own permissions, which is something that is easily corrected.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing list configuration [message #20529 is a reply to message #20500] Mon, 18 October 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK - so it was drastic, but without access to the account and without the cooperation of my wholesaler, I had no choice but to trash the entire domain. I was able to rescue the mysql data, but most everything else would not even let me ftp it to my local rig.

Mad Crying or Very Sad Confused Smile

OK - so I got that over with.

Now 2.6.7 is installed and I will try again. Please tell me why I should unlock the files of the forum? The script is in the non-browsable folder and it is set at 644.
Do I have to use the unlock feature in the admin control panel? Do I run the forum unlocked???

Orcs and trolls beware
Re: Mailing list configuration [message #20531 is a reply to message #20529] Mon, 18 October 2004 13:02 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to unlock the forum because by default the forum's file permissions are such that only the webuser by from the forum was installed can access the forum's files. This is done to prevent other users on the system from reading and even possibly modifying your forum files.

You need to use the admin unlock feature.

Yes, you run the forum unlocked.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: CONTEST ON MAKING LOGOS FOR COMPANY$$$$ & WORK
Next Topic: e-mail confirmations sent to multiple e-mail addresses
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Jun 14 13:14:58 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02447 seconds