FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Polls and text
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Polls and text [message #17869] Fri, 23 April 2004 06:09 Go to next message
humus is currently offline  humus   Norway

Should text be placed above the poll?[ 6 votes ]
1. Yes, of course - that makes sense! 2 / 33%
2. No, it's fine the way it is 3 / 50%
3. I really couldn't care less 1 / 17%

Just a minor suggestion:

When you start a thread with a poll, any additional text like this will be placed under the poll. Isn't this unlogic?

As I see it, you use the text to present the subject you want users to vote over. Thus, the text should be above the poll itself - alternatively wrapped to the right.

[Updated on: Fri, 23 April 2004 06:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Polls and text [message #17882 is a reply to message #17869] Fri, 23 April 2004 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
That could result in an unusual position of the poll. It could be between the message and the signature etc... And putting it next to text would make the appearance too busy.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Polls and text [message #17895 is a reply to message #17869] Fri, 23 April 2004 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lahoo is currently offline  lahoo   Sweden
Would it be possible to let the author choose where the poll will be placed by insertion of a hypothetical FUD-code [POLL]?
Re: Polls and text [message #17897 is a reply to message #17895] Fri, 23 April 2004 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This would require a fair bit of real time processing during the display of the message, which is something I would like to avoid.
I will consider possible solutions to this problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Polls and text [message #17899 is a reply to message #17897] Fri, 23 April 2004 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I imagined it just being a question of locating this pseudo code and there insert a table for the poll.
Re: Polls and text [message #17900 is a reply to message #17899] Fri, 23 April 2004 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The message you see on screen is generated at the time you submit the message to the forum. This means that during message display no processing is done on the message body itself.
To add what you suggest the forum would need to have a special tag {POLL} that unlike other tags would be parsed at the time of message display. Since poll information changes this cannot be done during message posting.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Polls and text [message #17901 is a reply to message #17900] Fri, 23 April 2004 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When and how is the information in the poll table heading about how many that has participated inserted?

I guessed that there was some kind of dynamig posting (rather than magic Smile) to ensure that the number of participants is kept updated.

You're the boss and the guy who knows it all so if you say it's hard to do I ought to accept that.
Re: Polls and text [message #17902 is a reply to message #17901] Fri, 23 April 2004 20:57 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
The poll is inserted at the top of the message by generating the poll realtime, that unfortunately cannot be easily avoided. However dynamic positioning of the poll would require parsing of the message body for every message that has a poll attached.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: admin control panel - finding users
Next Topic: Notifications and themes
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:41:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02563 seconds