FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Smarter message length cutting (Vote!)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Smarter message length cutting (Vote!) [message #19923] Thu, 16 September 2004 22:19 Go to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine

Do you need a smarter message length cutting mechanism?[ 5 votes ]

In certain forums there is a specific of long messages (like RPG topics or some other kinds), which are mostly read only once, but loaded every time - and that could increase the time of page loading considerably. For such cases in FUDforum it is very convenient to use the great "lenght limit" feature in forum individual settings. Then only indicated number of chararcters is loaded and shown and if the message exceeds them, it is cut off having a link "read more", upon clicking on which the one who needs to read it, loads the entire message. However, it becomes quite disapppointing if one have to click on the link and wait for the new page to load (and there is still the world of dial-up and slow servers!) only to discover that 2-3 words were cut off.

So I thought, it can be enhanced quite easily: say, the script determining the length to show could have one more "move around" to see whether there is much of a message left and in case there is little of the message left - to show it completely instead of cutting off a couple of words. This could be a fixed number (e.g. compare full length against the limit number plus 100 or 150 characters) but probably even more flexible it could be if it comapred full message length against a determined portion of the limit number of characters (because maximum lenghts may vary a lot from admin to admin judgement):
Example: delimiter 3500 characters, the script comapres message full length against 3546 + rounded (3546/10) (one tenth or limit length) and if full message length is smaller than limit number and a tenth part - then it doesn't put "read more" but publishes the message entirely.

I don't know how hard it would affect the quiery time and server load, but implementing it seems simple enough, so that I might even consider a hack, but perhaps this would be found as useful for the entire distribution?...

Also, I often thought it might be quite useful for disiplined users who wish to cut down their messages themselves (very long messages perhaps) to have this limit of chars # or even simpler - a "read more" tag just for this concrete message, so that only those who need it would click and load the rest! But I understand that this is more difficult (the point over the spoiler tag even if it becomes collapsible - to not have to load the rest when reading the topic!). Any chances for this one?

Lady of Avalon

[Updated on: Fri, 01 October 2004 01:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Smarter "read more" [message #19941 is a reply to message #19923] Fri, 17 September 2004 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The best (and fastest) way of doing something akin to what you want would be to add a "fudge" parameter to the forum settings.
It would allow the admin to specify X characters that a message can over the limit, but still remain in once piece.

What do you think?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Smarter "read more" [message #19949 is a reply to message #19941] Fri, 17 September 2004 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Surely, that's the most "admin flexible" way for more! If it adds a setting for each forum together with limit number... but that's another cell in the database?.. No problem for me anyway! Smile

Lady of Avalon
Re: Smarter "read more" [message #19951 is a reply to message #19949] Sat, 18 September 2004 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, this option would require an additional field inside the database, there is no way to avoid that.

Let's see if more people see a use in this functionality and if there are, I'll add it.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon3.gif  Re: Smarter "read more" [message #19988 is a reply to message #19951] Mon, 20 September 2004 21:21 Go to previous message
Could you make this topic sticky as well for some time to collect the maximum possible response?...

Lady of Avalon
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: why so small avatar
Next Topic: NOT remembering passwords
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:28:18 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02713 seconds