FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) (Vote For It!)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) (Vote For It!) [message #14136] Thu, 06 November 2003 01:44 Go to next message
AzaToth is currently offline  AzaToth   Sweden

Should this feature be added?[ 16 votes ]
1. Yes 15 / 94%
2. No 1 / 6%

This functionality was added in FUDforum 2.6.8

If you have a large forum You often split them into categories, but often you want to be able to concentrate one portion from the other, so there should be an option to have subcategories, one or mor. for example, if you have a product 'foobar' and three actual version, you want it to be more splitted:
+ foobar 3
   + Devel
     (forum) API
     (forum) CLI
     (forum) GUI
   + User
     (forum) FAQ
     (forum) Question
     (forum) Request
   - ZZzzz
   - etc...
+ foobar 2
   + Devel
     (forum) API
     (forum) CLI
     (forum) GUI
   + User
     (forum) FAQ
     (forum) Question
     (forum) Request
   - ZZzzz
   - etc...
+ foobar 1
   + Devel
     (forum) API
     (forum) CLI
     (forum) GUI
   + User
     (forum) FAQ
     (forum) Question
     (forum) Request
   - ZZzzz
   - etc...
Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #14138 is a reply to message #14136] Thu, 06 November 2003 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Good suggesion, not entirely sure what would be the best way to implent it. I'll need to think about it, definately a consideration for post 2.6.0.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #19847 is a reply to message #14138] Sun, 12 September 2004 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   United States
I just want to second this as a great enhancement.

My first question after installing fudforum (today) was whether I could subcategorize my categories.

The example given is pretty much what I was looking for: better organization of forums, easier to navigate and very clean presentation.

thanks

Mark
Re : Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #19850 is a reply to message #19847] Mon, 13 September 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
math_adm is currently offline  math_adm   France
I agree subcategories would be much useful. In the school where I work, FudForum is used for students to ask questions and such.

At the beginning of each universitary year, I move the forums to an "Archive" category and create new fresh ones.

Currently the archives are not very numerous, but next year there will be twice as much forums in the Archive category. Having subcategories like
Archives
- Archives 2003-2004
- Archives 2004-2005
(etc)

would surely help !
Re: Re : Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #19871 is a reply to message #19850] Wed, 15 September 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can simply create a new category for every year and have that category minimized by default making it take almost 0 screen space.
People who want to see older messages can expand it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #19953 is a reply to message #14138] Sat, 18 September 2004 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
Ilia писал(а) Чтв, 06 Ноября 2003 03:55

Good suggesion, not entirely sure what would be the best way to implent it. I'll need to think about it, definately a consideration for post 2.6.0.

So, what about it? You know, I'm since long ago among those people for subcats functionality to the point of thiking about trying to implement it for myself. Was the suggestion reconsidered as negative or can we hope you are still waiting for the elegant decision? Smile

Lady of Avalon
Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #19979 is a reply to message #19953] Mon, 20 September 2004 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Adding sub-categories with unlimited depth would be exceptionally slow for a main page that is being accessed rather frequently.
Limit category depth of 3-4 maybe less performance inhibitive, but I haven't seen too many requests for this feature.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #19983 is a reply to message #19979] Mon, 20 September 2004 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
Wow, during all this time that was the only feature for which I saw numerous different people requesting it all the time, well, may be they were only about 10 to speak out, but...

Should we vote for it?

Lady of Avalon

[Updated on: Mon, 20 September 2004 21:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #19985 is a reply to message #19983] Mon, 20 September 2004 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Vote sounds good, i've made this topic sticky and added a poll to it, so people can vote.

FUDforum Core Developer
I need subcategories too [message #20212 is a reply to message #14136] Sat, 02 October 2004 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spooky is currently offline  Spooky   France
The discussion board I have to set up needs subcategories badly.

It's for a people news website which wants to run a forum by star (at least 250 of them). To navigate through the message board the idea is to have them group by the first letter of their name :

Star
->A
-->Christina Aguilera
-->Fiona Apple
->B
-->Drew Barrymore
-->Jason Biggs

and so on...

There will also be categories like TV show, so there is no solution without the ability to add one level of subcategory.
icon14.gif  Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) (Vote For It!) [message #20360 is a reply to message #14136] Sat, 09 October 2004 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CirTap is currently offline  CirTap   Germany

Subcategories would certainly be a great feature.
I plan to use FUD for a linguists website. they have tens of committee for all the "languages" they discuss.
It'd be interesting how the access levels would integrate into this new hierarchy?
+ foobar 3
   + Devel
     (forum) API
     (forum) CLI
     (forum) GUI
   + User
     (forum) FAQ
     (forum) Question
     (forum) Request
   - ZZzzz
+ foobar 2

Depending on the "purpose" of the categories I may want to grant people to read "foobar3/Devel/GUI" and "CLI" but not "foobar3/Devel/API".
Or edit|create in "foobar3/User/*" but only read "foobar3/User/FAQ"

CirTap
icon12.gif  Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #20495 is a reply to message #19985] Sun, 17 October 2004 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vkhamenya is currently offline  vkhamenya   Germany
Ilia wrote on Mon, 20 September 2004 17:07

Vote sounds good, i've made this topic sticky and added a poll to it, so people can vote.

the sample size of this statistical experimrnt is not that big yet, but perhaps has a clear tendency.

sorry for reasoning to phpBB here, but those guys going to make the step forward i.r.t. subforums/subcategories in coming version...

I am going to use eGroupWare, which loves the FUDForum so much. Therefore it would be quite interesting for me to see this important feature in near future Cool

BTW, the eGroupWare and FUDForum have the same referencing weight in Internet (ask google to prove this fact). Both eGroupWare and FUDForum help each other today to get bigger audience. However lack of important features in FUDForum could cause the eGroupWare users to vote for other forum engines. One day eGroupWare developers could make forum engine replaceble being followed by such a requests from their users. For example with phpBB.

Let me sum this up:

1. FUDForum's popularity benefits from fact of being used by eGroupWare.

2. Ignorance to lack of important features could kill the exclusive role of FUDForum in eGroupWare.

All above is just IMHO

Long live FUDForum!

[Updated on: Sun, 17 October 2004 17:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #20497 is a reply to message #20495] Sun, 17 October 2004 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Judging by the overwhelming request for this functionality, sub-categories are something I will be looking at adding in the next FUDforum release 2.6.8.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #20498 is a reply to message #20497] Sun, 17 October 2004 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vkhamenya is currently offline  vkhamenya   Germany
Thanks Ilia!
Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #20501 is a reply to message #20498] Sun, 17 October 2004 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   France
Thanks Illia.
Re : Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) (Vote For It!) [message #20502 is a reply to message #14136] Sun, 17 October 2004 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spooky is currently offline  Spooky   France
Thanks a lot Illia
Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) (Vote For It!) [message #20504 is a reply to message #14136] Mon, 18 October 2004 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   France
Thanks Ilia
Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) (Vote For It!) [message #21650 is a reply to message #14136] Wed, 08 December 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tufan is currently offline  tufan   Turkey
Smile
I voted a bit late, I guess...
Thanks, and keep up the good work Smile

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/firefox2/firefox-spread-btn-1.png
Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #23688 is a reply to message #19979] Sat, 26 March 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   United Kingdom
Ilia wrote on Mon, 20 September 2004 16:48

Adding sub-categories with unlimited depth would be exceptionally slow for a main page that is being accessed rather frequently.
Limit category depth of 3-4 maybe less performance inhibitive, but I haven't seen too many requests for this feature.

Why specify a depth limit? Why not let the forum admin decide?!

BTW, what's the differnece between sub-categories and sub-forums anyway?
Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #23691 is a reply to message #23688] Sat, 26 March 2005 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
There is no hard limit set, you can have as many nesting levels as you want.

There is a big difference in the way that forums & categories are implemented.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #23710 is a reply to message #23691] Sun, 27 March 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   United Kingdom
Ilia wrote on Sat, 26 March 2005 10:00

There is no hard limit set, you can have as many nesting levels as you want.

There is a big difference in the way that forums & categories are implemented.

Hi Ilia,

Thanks for the reply.

Excellent sdoftware, by the way!

I take it that categories are easier to implement in the PHP source code than forums? I have only ever implemented categories in my code, so I guess it makes things easier to code than sub-forums.

Cheers.
Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #23718 is a reply to message #23710] Sun, 27 March 2005 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It's not so much that they are easier, but the fact sub-forum lead to all sorts of structural problems that make the application harder to use.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Sub-categories (not Sub-forums) [message #24524 is a reply to message #20495] Sun, 01 May 2005 15:20 Go to previous message
Anonymous   Italy
vkhamenya wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 13:34

Ilia wrote on Mon, 20 September 2004 17:07

the sample size of this statistical experimrnt is not that big yet, but perhaps has a clear tendency.

sorry for reasoning to phpBB here, but those guys going to make the step forward i.r.t. subforums/subcategories in coming version...

I am going to use eGroupWare, which loves the FUDForum so much. Therefore it would be quite interesting for me to see this important feature in near future 8)

BTW, the eGroupWare and FUDForum have the same referencing weight in Internet (ask google to prove this fact). Both eGroupWare and FUDForum help each other today to get bigger audience. However lack of important features in FUDForum could cause the eGroupWare users to vote for other forum engines. One day eGroupWare developers could make forum engine replaceble being followed by such a requests from their users. For example with phpBB.

Let me sum this up:

1. FUDForum's popularity benefits from fact of being used by eGroupWare.

2. Ignorance to lack of important features could kill the exclusive role of FUDForum in eGroupWare.

All above is just IMHO

Long live FUDForum!

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: groupmanagement : Show Admins/Moderators
Next Topic: New question for FAQ System
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:02:43 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03218 seconds