FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Corrupt
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Corrupt [message #10386] Fri, 30 May 2003 11:11 Go to next message
zushiba is currently offline  zushiba   United States
I tried two different files the tar.gz and the .zip from this site. and used winzip and winrar to unzip them both making for 2 installations to try. then I tried them BOTH on two diffrent servers one with PHP safe_mode on and the other without. uploaded in ascii and set correct permissions. Both gave me a corrupt archive error. whats going on?
Re: Corrupt [message #10387 is a reply to message #10386] Fri, 30 May 2003 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You should've uploaded as BINARY not ASCII.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Corrupt [message #10389 is a reply to message #10387] Fri, 30 May 2003 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stevie is currently offline  stevie   United States
Yeah, this is a little tricky for a person new to FUDforum.

Almost always, php files should (or at least can) be uploaded in ascii mode, so people get used to doing that. The install.php file is mostly binary, but people don't expect that in a file with a .php extension.

On top of that, some ftp client software (like Fetch, for Mac OS X, which I use) has a pretty nice automatic feature where it "decides" which mode to use. It works great nearly all the time, but it also assumes that any .php file should be uploaded as ascii. So with Fetch, the user has to override the automatic function (which isn't hard, it's just rare that you have to do it).

I wonder if the install.php program could have a line in the beginning that could "autodetect" when run if it was uploaded in ascii mode -- and if so give a clear explanation to the user?

-Steve

Re: Corrupt [message #10395 is a reply to message #10389] Fri, 30 May 2003 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
install.php & upgrade.php already have a special string at the start of the file that makes most programs consider it binary. Unfortunately some Win32 programs (decompression utils & ftp clients) choose to ignore it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Corrupt [message #10399 is a reply to message #10395] Fri, 30 May 2003 17:38 Go to previous message
zushiba is currently offline  zushiba   United States
Thats weird considering the error told me that it might be caused BECASUE I uploaded in binary instead of ascii and to try ASCII upload.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: FUDforum 2.5.0RC3 / Win32 / Unlock
Next Topic: Permissions FUDforum - chmod
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 03:27:58 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02441 seconds