FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » CODE vs QUOTE
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
CODE vs QUOTE [message #10709] Sun, 08 June 2003 01:39 Go to next message
esm2002 is currently offline  esm2002   United States
fudforum does not put CODE items in a hightlighted table

This is inside CODE tags. not impressive
and the same thing in QUOTE tags
Quote:

This is inside QUOTE tags

I think CODE should be similar...

I know, what is the difference...

CODE is for program/html/etc code and QUOTE is for quoting what someone said

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #10710 is a reply to message #10709] Sun, 08 June 2003 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Code is displaying text as is, without any formatting so that the data is shown without any modifications. If you want pretty output and want to display PHP code use the [php] tag.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #10713 is a reply to message #10710] Sun, 08 June 2003 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I understand that.

Just thought it would set it apart by highlighting it inside a table. Don't format it. Keep it just like it is, just put it inside a highlighted table.

I was not aware of the PHP tag. I don't see it listed.

It too suffers from the same thing as CODE. It is not highlighted but at least it is colored. Plus, it adds the <? php and ?>. Not exactly what I had in mind.

Here is the PHP tags
<?php
this inside the PHP tags
?>

Oh well.

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #10721 is a reply to message #10713] Sun, 08 June 2003 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
it adds <?php because it is intended for PHP code only.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #10738 is a reply to message #10721] Mon, 09 June 2003 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   United States
Thanks. Looks like I'll just stick to using QUOTE to highlite code and quoted text.
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #10739 is a reply to message #10713] Mon, 09 June 2003 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm....allowed posting by anonymous.

Thanks. Looks like I'll just stick to using QUOTE to highlite code and quoted text.

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12124 is a reply to message #10710] Tue, 29 July 2003 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just an example of what I was referring to:

http://www.cgi-central.net/forum/index.php?s=812f18146ce34c26f6f73b90066d4f 67&act=ST&f=8&t=1699

nothing wrong with
Quote:

"displaying text as is, without any formatting so that the data is shown without any modifications."

But that is for quoting some prior msg

I just think setting it off like the example above has merit. Kinda hard to tell where the code begins/ends as compared to the rest of the text. I am after functionality. If I wanted pretty, I could use invision board.

One of the two following paragraphs uses the code feature. can you tell which one?

<th><b>Encrypt Admin Password?</b><br>encrypt password in config file to hide it?</th>
<td><input type=checkbox name=@ADMIN_PASS_ENCRYPTED@ value=1 checked></td>

<th><b>Encrypt Admin Password?</b><br>encrypt password in config file to hide it?</th>

Can you even tell that the code feature has been used...!

Wouldn't it look so much better like this ( with the word Code replacing the word Quotes )

Quote:

I said my piece. I'll shut up now...
Very Happy

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12136 is a reply to message #12124] Tue, 29 July 2003 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The whole idea behind the code tag is to format the text in such a way that it is shown as is. This is very important when showing code of various programs.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12146 is a reply to message #12136] Tue, 29 July 2003 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 18:01

The whole idea behind the code tag is to format the text in such a way that it is shown as is. This is very important when showing code of various programs.

hmmmm...I did say in my last post
esm2002 wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 11:54

nothing wrong with
Quote:

"displaying text as is, without any formatting so that the data is shown without any modifications."

As you can see from my post, if you want to not format it, I have no problem with that. But it would seem that it would be appropriate to identify that section as a separate section

Maybe if I am persistent like the guy who wanted to "Deleting Old Members"

prottoss wrote on Thu, 24 July 2003 18:29

FYI:
Deleting Old Members

I've just added the edit, delete, ban/unban links to the member list allowing the administrator to quickly perform these actions on the listed users. This feature will be avaliable in the 2.5.1 release.

Thanks for being persistent and coming up with this idea.

But this is still great software! Very Happy

I still continue to promote it....

http://www.sentraweb.com/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1397
http://www.cgi-central.net/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=9&t=1701&s= 65ef6fbcf39420b3d5a528c19e4b90c2

usually, I recommend it sooner or later at any message board I sign into... Smile

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12152 is a reply to message #12146] Wed, 30 July 2003 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The problem with making such a change is that it would break backwards compatibility with earlier versions of the [code] tag. Meaning that if you were to quote or edit an older message using the old [code] format the message would not get parsed correctly.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12155 is a reply to message #12152] Wed, 30 July 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He weakens! Cool

I'm sure you could figure out how to handle both! Very Happy

Hey, ask others if they would like to see the code section somehow set apart from the text of the msg...

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12158 is a reply to message #12155] Wed, 30 July 2003 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I am mostly undecided on this issue at this point. Let's see what other FUDforum users have to say. Then I will make my, hopefully more educated decision.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12159 is a reply to message #12158] Wed, 30 July 2003 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 22:36

I am mostly undecided on this issue at this point. Let's see what other FUDforum users have to say. Then I will make my, hopefully more educated decision.

well, at least you have moved from being against it to being undecided. Razz

Next, I'm going to work on moving the buttons ( Preview, spell check and submit ) to the left instead of the right side of the screen...

Hmmm...how about that: You already have them on the left side of the preview box. Might as well be consistent! Very Happy yeah, we disagree on this issue too... Cool But I am still hopeful! Twisted Evil

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12173 is a reply to message #12155] Wed, 30 July 2003 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gady is currently offline  Gady   Canada
What's wrong with that:

myReq = (HttpWebRequest)WebRequest.Create(url);
     myReq.ContentLength = byteArray.GetLength(0);
     myReq.ContentType = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded";
     myReq.Method="POST";

You always can imitate, you know ... Smile

Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12175 is a reply to message #12173] Wed, 30 July 2003 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Good idea, by putting a titleless [quote] with a [code] you get the desired effect.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12189 is a reply to message #12175] Wed, 30 July 2003 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Wed, 30 July 2003 15:47

Good idea, by putting a titleless [.quote.] with a [.code.] you get the desired effect.

hmmm....that is interesting...and a good idea

but it just highlights the need to have the code feature do that itself. You could even make an argument that if you are going to use the QUOTE feature to do that, then the CODE feature is unnecessary and should be eliminated...

Not to mention that almost every other major forum software does it pretty much the way I describe. Not that that is a reason to "follow the crowd." But if you want to do it differently than the crowd, just make sure that you have built a better "mousetrap" for that area that you deviate.

Code

[.QUOTE title=Code]with your text here [./QUOTE]

but that is a workaround that not everyone will know about.

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12190 is a reply to message #12189] Wed, 30 July 2003 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gady is currently offline  Gady   Canada
But what if I'd like to post something like that:

Some of them want to use you 
     Some of them want to get used by you 
       Some of them want to abuse you 
         Some of them want to be abused 

Why should I make it looks like a quote, while it's my own text (not exactly that one)?

Be creative ... Smile

Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12191 is a reply to message #12189] Wed, 30 July 2003 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Code tag is still necessary because it makes sures that the formatting of the text inside the code tag is not modified in any shape or form.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12192 is a reply to message #12190] Wed, 30 July 2003 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess it just matters which is the most common way to use the feature.

I'm sure somewhere, someone wants to do it the way you show. I've just never seen it; not that I am anywhere near an authority on the subject. What I have seen is the way I describe it.

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12197 is a reply to message #12192] Thu, 31 July 2003 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
One way to do this would be to make [code] tag be converted to a special type of quote. Which as far as displaying of the data is concerned would do: [quote title=Code][code]some code...[./code][/title].

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Thu, 31 July 2003 00:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12201 is a reply to message #12197] Thu, 31 July 2003 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check out the following: a code inside of a quote...

Code

on the other hand you can format the text inside the code format. Check it out!

or

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12202 is a reply to message #12201] Thu, 31 July 2003 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
But you could apply the same sort of formatting inside the quote, no?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12205 is a reply to message #12202] Thu, 31 July 2003 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Wed, 30 July 2003 21:23

But you could apply the same sort of formatting inside the quote, no?

ahhh, not exactly...

Quote:

well, at least I have figured out how to use the code feature inside the quote feature to do what I want. and other users will almost never figure it out...

not exactly the solution I think is best but maybe you will have change of heart.

take a look at how the G-T folks handle it...
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=247964;#247964

even that would be acceptable!

Gene

[Updated on: Thu, 31 July 2003 02:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12288 is a reply to message #12205] Sat, 02 August 2003 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I think the argument is not the 'how will it look' but whether or not special code is needed or not. Ultimately
doing [quote][code][./code][./quote] is hardly something complex, just perphaps not obvious.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12310 is a reply to message #12288] Mon, 04 August 2003 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Sat, 02 August 2003 18:36

I think the argument is not the 'how will it look' but whether or not special code is needed or not.

aaahhh, but the 'how will it look' was my argument from the beginning while your argument has been whether any 'special code is needed or not.'

remember the post above where I stated you could not even tell that the code feature had been used...1?:

esm2002 wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 11:54

One of the two following paragraphs uses the code feature. can you tell which one?

<td><input type=checkbox name=@ADMIN_PASS_ENCRYPTED@ value=1 checked></td>[/font]

Can you even tell that the code feature has been used...!

Wouldn't it look so much better like this

Code:

prottoss wrote on Sat, 02 August 2003 18:36

Ultimately doing [.quote][.code][./code][./quote] is hardly something complex, just perphaps not obvious.

Yes, it is not complex. Yes, it is not obvious. Yes, almost no one will figure it out. Yes, there will those who ues it and like it. Yes, there will those who don't use because it don't "set apart" the text. Yes, IMHO, those is the latter group will far exceed the former group, making the code feature irrelevent.

It is code and not some free form text. Generally, it will be used in post that lots of paragraph of text interspersed with snippets of "code." Wouldn't it look better to set off the code form the other paragraphs?

Maybe we could have a code_two feature... Twisted Evil

Sleep tight...don't let the bed bugs bite! Smile

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12320 is a reply to message #12310] Mon, 04 August 2003 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I never found a need for identifying code more then it is and given that in a year since forum's inception neither did other users this does not appear to be an issue of concern. While [quote][code] combination may not be obvious to most people those who absolutely need for some reason to identify code will surely figure it out eventually.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12344 is a reply to message #12320] Tue, 05 August 2003 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sad

oh, well...it was just a suggestion

just seems like that if the feature is not going to do somehing to distinguish itself as a feature then it is kinda a useless feature.

Since no one has voiced their opinion, I suggest we delete it as not needed. Crying or Very Sad Cool

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12346 is a reply to message #12344] Tue, 05 August 2003 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I disagree the feature works as intended, and is quite useful.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12352 is a reply to message #12346] Tue, 05 August 2003 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Tue, 05 August 2003 15:37

I disagree the feature works as intended, and is quite useful.

Smile

It works as you have coded it. I find it useless in terms of presenting code and no other major forum software does it the way you have coded it. The all do it the way I describe it ( not that it is a question of who's right or who's wrong ).

As I said earlier, I don't have a problem with doing it differently than what every one eles does if you can present good reasons for doing it differently. So far, I havently seen any reasons.

You stated earlier that "this does not appear to be an issue of concern...to other users." But users of other major forum software use the code feature as I describe and it "does not appear to be an issue of concern to them" (my quotes) or they would be complaining to the software developers.

This is a message board. Lots of folks use it to present snippets of code ( and from what I have seen on the web this is certainly one of the more popular uses of forum software ). Snippets of code are akin to quotes and just need to be highlighed as such when using the code feature.

once again, "apenas mis dos centavos"

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12357 is a reply to message #12352] Tue, 05 August 2003 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you find it useless don't use it, no one is forcing you to. That said keep in mind you gotta convince me to add a feature and not have me convince you of why the current implementation works. The wonderous nature of open source allows you to take the forum sources and modify them to your liking.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12363 is a reply to message #12357] Wed, 06 August 2003 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Tue, 05 August 2003 19:24

If you find it useless don't use it, no one is forcing you to. That said keep in mind you gotta convince me to add a feature and not have me convince you of why the current implementation works. The wonderous nature of open source allows you to take the forum sources and modify them to your liking.

Nice try, but I'm just a user Smile ( and supporter Smile Smile ) of FUDForum.

So, you have avoided the question: why is the code feature implemented differently inf FUDForum than all the other major forum software ( i.e., not highlighted in some some way as I have suggested )?

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12386 is a reply to message #12363] Wed, 06 August 2003 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The reason is very simple:
[code] tag is ment to display source code. It is likely people will copy & paste that code into actual applications. It is highly important that the data remains as is, so that when it is pasted the browser does not add any special characters that would corrupt the code.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12390 is a reply to message #10709] Wed, 06 August 2003 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Wed, 06 August 2003 14:21

The reason is very simple:
[.code] tag is ment to display source code. It is likely people will copy & paste that code into actual applications. It is highly important that the data remains as is, so that when it is pasted the browser does not add any special characters that would corrupt the code.

so all the other major forum software is handling the [.code] feature incorrectly by highlighting the [.code] section??? Confused

Seems like only one of you can be correct on this issue.

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12395 is a reply to message #12390] Wed, 06 August 2003 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If all of the forums decide to switch from PHP to ASP does it mean I have to follow suit? Each developer chooses an implementation they like and implement it. In some cases for the sake of ease of uses certain things may be addapted from other similar applications, but that's not always the case.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12406 is a reply to message #12395] Wed, 06 August 2003 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in other words, you have no real reason other than that is just the other way you want it. You don't cite ease of use, code efficiency, speed, it looks better or anything of substance. you want it that way because you want it that way.

I have said it before: if you can build a better mousetrap than what is on the market, I am all for it even if no other one does it that way. But the crowd is not always wrong. Most times, something is done the way it is done because it really is the "best" way. If you deviate, then your reasons needs to be sound.

So far, all you have provided is form over substance. you want it a certain way because you want it a certin way without any substantive reason: form over substance.

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12408 is a reply to message #12395] Thu, 07 August 2003 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't mean to be critical. By and large, you have built a better mousetrap than the other forum software available. I think my position on that subject is without question. Do I think that there are some features that could be made better? Yes. this is one of them. ( the preview, submit and buttons should always be accessable on the screeen [where the other buttons are] without having to scroll to the right to access them when the text extends off the screen to the right; and the today's post feature should be controllable by the user - cutting it off at midnite kinda makes it useless at 1 minute past midnight - I'd kinda like to reviews the posts from the day just concluded and I can't always get there just before midnite to to review them or do it for the past 24 hours or show the previous day's post for the first two/three hours after the end of the day - besides much of the activity will occur in the few hours just before midnite ).

so, you are not going to change this now even if you thought it was a good idea. And you don't think it is a good idea. Well, I've make my suggestion known and provided my reasons. I have done what I can do...

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12409 is a reply to message #12406] Thu, 07 August 2003 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
1 person hardly consitutes a crowd. And you are right, I did it in a certain way because I like it, since I am the developer that is my decision to make. If you fail to convince me to change my opinion and do not want to modify the source code yourself, tough luck.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12410 is a reply to message #12409] Thu, 07 August 2003 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just thought you might have a substantive reason as opposed to a frivolous reason for doing it a different way.

so, we will just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

ps: the crowd I was referring to is not me but the major forum software producers who do highlight the code feature.

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12411 is a reply to message #12409] Thu, 07 August 2003 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In finality, I concluded about half way thru the current part of this thread that the change would not take place if for no other reason than that I had pressed too hard. I just wanted to find the reasons for the current method.

I appreciate you allowing me state my reasons. Maybe someone else can make a better case to you...

Thanks for listening.

Smile

Gene
Re: CODE vs QUOTE [message #12413 is a reply to message #10709] Thu, 07 August 2003 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
JamesS is currently offline  JamesS   United States
Leave the code tag as is. If someone is going to be posting code that they want sectioned off and they don't realize how to embed it in a quote tag then they probably shouldn't be posting code. With the code tag as it is it is possible to
#inline
code. A very useful feature if you are actually trying to explain some form of code.
Pages (2): [1  2    »]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Groups
Next Topic: Group management - Downloading files.
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Oct 28 19:10:09 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02913 seconds