FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #11547] Sun, 06 July 2003 14:27 Go to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
Since the first RC of 2.5.0 I have a trouble moving the forums and the smiles to a new place I want. There seems to be an error with position count? For I see chpos=0 for my few forums in a section and smiles move in couples (e.g. not only the smilie I move changes position but also a smilie which follows this one). Now the stable release is out, it all remains the same - I can't manipulate properly with the ordering of whatever supposes my admin ability to reorder... Doesn't anybody else have this bug? Or is it something particular for my system?...

Lady of Avalon
Re: 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #11565 is a reply to message #11547] Mon, 07 July 2003 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm haven't seen this problem, try to remove all forums from affected category and then re-add then back in. That should fix the problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #11651 is a reply to message #11565] Thu, 10 July 2003 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, the change position script seems to be affected. Since all the categories and every place where there is "change position" function are affected! Smilies, forums, categories...

I created a new category to test about this and new test forums in it - the same problem. The preceding or following items are moving TOGETHER with the item I want to move, keeping their position relatively.

E.g.

test1
test2
test3
test4

I want to move test3 to the first line. I do all the operations and the result it:

test2
test3
test1
test4

Accordingly, I cannot move the last item one position up or first item one position down (since in this case they should change places with the item with which they are stuck).

The only operation resulting right is to move test2 in the first example to first line (don't know why).

ALSO, on the "where to move" page I often notice in the generated link "newpos=3" on pos3 and on pos4 TOO! Of course, I can't move then anything to pos4 since there is no link. OR I've seen newpos=0 in the link for all the positions except the 1st one (then, surely, I can't move anything anywhere at all). I tried to write urls manually but it doesn't help.

It seems to me that there is some problem with counting positions (in the script?). I understand that this bug can be worked around by adding everything at new in the order I need, but not countin about 40 new smilies, the whole forum is up and running! I can't just delete it... And what about the function to change position which doesn't work? It is strange that I am the only one to have this problem! What can it be? Database bug? Server misinterpreting or skipping the counted lines somehow? How can I fix the situation?

Lady of Avalon
Re: 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #11661 is a reply to message #11651] Thu, 10 July 2003 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Consistency checker should fix the problem, but I am unable to replicate the bug you are describing no matter what I try. I can alter positions of smilies, categories and forums without a problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #11665 is a reply to message #11661] Fri, 11 July 2003 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well... the consistency checker was run many times since the problem appeared. But i did it again and all other optimizer functions too - no effect... I have the problem ever since upgrading from 2.3.8 to 2.5.0 RC1, then RC3, RC4 and finally stable - but this bug remained...

I will try to find the solution myself, but I'm not a PHP pro and it's difficult for me to dechipher your code, so I might need an answer to a couple of questions.

Is the position stored in SQL tables or in the code? May be it is a database problem... But then again - why all the tables, not only forums order but smilies and categories (and newly created btw!) are affected too? rather seems like a script problem however!

Do you use the same code template for changing postion in all the pages with such funcion? May be I can find the problem there? Can I have a working change position script in a separate file for comparison?

(Or should I dig my SQL tables?...)

I will try my best but your helping answers are appreciated a lot! Smile

Lady of Avalon

[Updated on: Fri, 11 July 2003 00:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #11666 is a reply to message #11665] Fri, 11 July 2003 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, now my change position moves are very much alike with some logical game! Laughing I begin to get the catch: when I move down, the following item is stuck with the moved one; when I move up, the previous item is stuck with the moved one. which explains why I can't change positions of two adjacent items. The problem clearly has a mathematical flavour of enumerating error! But WHERE this error for the hell or heaven could be? Crying or Very Sad
Dearest developer, you should know it much better than me! Just tell me where to dig and I will dig like a mole.

Lady of Avalon
Re: 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #11683 is a reply to message #11666] Fri, 11 July 2003 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The positions are indeed stored inside the database. Since you say you can replicate the problem, take a look @ the code inside cat.inc, cat_change_pos() function. It has the code responsible for changing the order. The code used by smilies and forums is virtually the same.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #11846 is a reply to message #11547] Fri, 18 July 2003 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jrobbio is currently offline  jrobbio   United Kingdom
I have seen this bug as well when it takes numerous attempts to get one forum to another place. Along with the problem mentioned above what else happens is that if you have a large number of forums to move from (say top to bottom) and you click the bottom "move here" then it only goes 2-3 places down. Do the "move here" again and it gets closer to the destination. Finally, when its close enough it goes fine.

Rob
Re: 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #11851 is a reply to message #11846] Fri, 18 July 2003 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've just fixed a bug that prevented immidiate moving of a forum/category/smiley to the last position. Hopefuly, it'll solve the problems you are seeing as well.
You can try applying the fix if you cannot wait till 2.5.1
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=1682

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #12040 is a reply to message #11851] Fri, 25 July 2003 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I applied the change. IT still works the same way. Analyzed the function codes - everything seems logically quite right. Did not yet invent how to check it all step by step nor had time to, but will look more.

Interesting detail about your fix:

You have in admforum.php further after the changed line:
$cat_name = !$move_ct ? $cat_name : (ETC...)

and I have
$c_name = !$move_ct ? $c_name : (ETC...)

I mean it does work because I have the right variable determined, but why such difference? Is it not the same code?...

Lady of Avalon
Re: 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #12050 is a reply to message #12040] Sat, 26 July 2003 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Make sure your admforum.php is identical to the one currently in CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #12551 is a reply to message #12050] Wed, 13 August 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There seem to be a certain inconsistency in mySQL database at my forum which might have connection to this problem... (consistency checks and SQL table optimizer do nothing about that):

Certain forum start count in view_order from 0 and others from 1
I mean the fud_forum table. But considering that your script for changing view_order is identical for all elements in the forum, the view_order must be starting from the same number in all tables?
So what must be the first number: 0 or 1? May be the problem is in here? Quite likely counting that the error seem to be purely mathematical... Tell me please, I can edit the fields manually and then will see what it changes.

Lady of Avalon

[Updated on: Wed, 13 August 2003 12:07]

Re: 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #12553 is a reply to message #12551] Wed, 13 August 2003 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The numbering starts at 1.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #13146 is a reply to message #12553] Tue, 23 September 2003 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aitor is currently offline  aitor   Spain
I have problems moving forums in a category. I have more than 30 while i testing it.

I could want to have it ordered by forum name in that category.
What file should i need to change to automatically be ordered by name.

Hope that could be made i use 2.5.1 and cann´t manage forums because they go up and down while i go changing they.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 September 2003 13:02]

Re: 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #13157 is a reply to message #13146] Tue, 23 September 2003 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This is something fixed in later releases.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon12.gif  Re: 2.5.0 change order (forums, smilies) bug [message #13185 is a reply to message #13157] Wed, 24 September 2003 17:14 Go to previous message
aitor is currently offline  aitor   Spain
I have hacked the forum position manager to allow order forums in same category in one click by name, descript and by id in the fud 2.5.3. fixing this way the current bug moving forums manually in one category.

I have send to fud hacks forum if someone is interesated on it.
Remember that is for fud 2.5.3 could be that didn´t work the hack in other fud.
http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=2786&start=0&ri d=1118

[Updated on: Wed, 24 September 2003 17:57]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Error after every message post
Next Topic: Cannot Delete more than one user
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 22:37:26 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02422 seconds