FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » showing only one category at a time
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon4.gif  showing only one category at a time [message #11943] Wed, 23 July 2003 09:24 Go to next message
butonic is currently offline  butonic   Germany

Hi!

The Setup:
I have three Categorys, with 5-6 Forums each.

The Goal:
Create a link or view, which will show only one category and its forums.

any ideas?

thx in advance

butonic
aka Jörn Dreyer

p.s. this is urgent, or we might have to switch to another forum Confused
Re: showing only one category at a time [message #11946 is a reply to message #11943] Wed, 23 July 2003 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
See the little - sign beside each category, click on it beside each category that you want to 'hide'. Once all the categories are hidden use the link in the URL bar for your purposes.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: showing only one category at a time [message #11952 is a reply to message #11943] Wed, 23 July 2003 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

quite nice, thx (should have seen that by myself... Evil or Very Mad )

however, i dont want to minimize a category, but make it invisible (as if the visible tag had been set to false)

I know i cant change permissions on the fly, however, a dirty hack would be to change the behaviour of the forum renderer:
instead of showing the category only, just show nothing, when the flag is set...

i'm net to fudforum, thus if you gave me a hint on where to find the corresponding code snipped, id be more than glad.

i hope i could express myself, and you understood what i mean.

thx

butonic
Re: showing only one category at a time [message #11953 is a reply to message #11952] Wed, 23 July 2003 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
1 way to do this is to set the invisible flag (in forum control panel) for every forum inside the category. This would make the category invisible but permanently for all users.
The proper way is to do this with the permission system for select users.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: showing only one category at a time [message #11975 is a reply to message #11943] Thu, 24 July 2003 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

when i set a forum to invisible, it will be invisible, even if it is not minimized. i'll give you a detailed setup:

Category 1: News | Only a Moderator can post here
Forum 1.1: Project1 | Normal Users can only read...
Forum 1.2: Project2 |
Forum 1.3: Project3 |
Forum 1.4: Project4 |
Forum 1.5: Project5 |

Category 2: Discussion | Users can post here
Forum 2.1: Project1 |
Forum 2.2: Project2 |
Forum 2.3: Project3+4+5 |

Category 3: Downloads | Only Moderators can Post here
Forum 3.1: Downloads | Normal Users can only read...

I have a navigation frame with links to News, Discussion and Downloads: when clicking on a link, only the corresponding category ant its forums should be visible. I dont want the others to be seen, not even minimized. I know about visible Flag, and as far as I understand, it is not possible to make a Category and its forums visible, by using a different link.

Using the permission system wont help either:
Anonymous users should be able to read all forums.
Registered Users are able to read all forums and post in the discussion category.
Moderators can read and post in all forums.

All forums are visible to all of them.

When I set all forums to invisible, Id have to link to the forums individually, not the categorys, to see something.

when i create a new group for the users, which enables them to see the forums, i get the same effect as if i set all forums to visible. if i create three groups, one for each category, the effect will still be that logged in users will not be able to see only one category and its forums...

maybe im wrong, please tell me ...

thx in advance

butonic
Re: showing only one category at a time [message #11991 is a reply to message #11975] Thu, 24 July 2003 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If my understanding of your goal is correct the the group permission won't be able to accomplish what you are after. In fact I do not believe FUDforum has a feature capable of completely hiding the category, the closest thing avaliable is the ability to minimize it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: showing only one category at a time [message #12015 is a reply to message #11943] Thu, 24 July 2003 20:19 Go to previous message

Well, i already poked at the code:

the category is not shown anymore, however, when deciding, whether or not a category is minimized, i save the name of the category that isnt minimized. Later in the template i use that variable to show the user which category he is looking at.

Navigation is done via the saperate links, which include the minimized/not minimized information, as pointed out by you.

thx for the help!

Honestly, you do a great job moderating this forum and answering that fast!

Regards

butonic

[Updated on: Thu, 24 July 2003 20:20]

Report message to a moderator

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: login on my main news page
Next Topic: problems with french - charset issue?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Oct 28 23:19:31 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03451 seconds