FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » 2.5.2 Feature Discussion
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: 2.5.2 Feature Discussion [message #12427 is a reply to message #12414] Thu, 07 August 2003 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Let me explain how template upgrading works (and why), maybe it'll clarify the process for people and maybe even give someone an idea on how to design a better template upgrading scheme.

First of all, why do we need to modify templates?
If a template changes it is due to two reasons, new feature was added and in order for it to work new sections need to be added or old sections need to modified. The other reason is that there was a bug in the template and fixing it required some changes.
If these changes do not occur, the template may end up missing crucial sections resulting in theme compilation error or end up trying to not displaying new information or trying to display nonexistent variables.

How does the upgrade work?
First of all the upgrade script compares the md5 checksum of the new file to the old, if they are the same the file remains the same. No need to replace a file if it's identical. If the files do differ then the upgrade script checks the CVS id of the new file & the original. If they are the same it means that the user modified the template, BUT the template in the upgrade script is still the same as in the old version. In this case the user's template is left as is. ONLY when the cvs ids differ will the upgrade script replace the template.

I do try to make sure I don't touch forum.css.tmpl, header.tmpl & footer.tmpl which are the templates most people modify. Thus making sure that most people can upgrade their forums without having to reapply their template changes. However, if you've made more extensive modifications and the templates were modified I have no choice but to replace the affected templates.

FUDforum Core Developer
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How many can view the forum at the same time???
Next Topic: New in 2.6.0RC1
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Sep 09 09:56:13 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06550 seconds