FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Upgrade question
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon5.gif  Upgrade question [message #13087] Mon, 22 September 2003 13:45 Go to next message
math_adm is currently offline  math_adm   France
Hello

I have fudforum version 2.3.8 installed here. I'd like to upgrade to the latest version via an upgrade script. However I am worry about the possibility the upgrade might overwrite my changes, most importantly in the message editor.

Indeed, I spent a lot of time editing the messages to suit my special needs (the forum is used in an engineer school), and I don't want to redo everything (even if keeping a local copy of the current msg file would probably help).

Since I'm no PHP expert, can someone explain me what to do in this situation ? Or maybe the upgrading process only adds the new strings that appeared in newer versions ?

Thanks for any clue

Frédéric.
Re: Upgrade question [message #13096 is a reply to message #13087] Mon, 22 September 2003 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
2.3.8 -> 2.5 is a major upgrade with A LOT of source code changes. It is virtually certain you'll need to redo some if not all of your customizations.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade question [message #13138 is a reply to message #13096] Tue, 23 September 2003 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
math_adm is currently offline  math_adm   France
prottoss a écrit le lun, 22 septembre 2003 10:19

2.3.8 -> 2.5 is a major upgrade with A LOT of source code changes. It is virtually certain you'll need to redo some if not all of your customizations.

Most (all) of my customizations are through the admin panel's settings and the i18n/french/msg file. I surely hope my settings (global, forums, moderators) will be converted by the upgrade script. What will happen to the msg file exactly ? Will it be overwritten ?

Another thing. In french, the "new thread" button got labelled "nouveau fil". I prefer "nouveau sujet" (which really means "new subject"). I can change it in the msg file, but I have to change the button graphics too. Is there a graphics template (for the buttons) available that I can fill to ease this process ?
Re: Upgrade question [message #13150 is a reply to message #13138] Tue, 23 September 2003 13:14 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The msg file MAY be changed if the French translation is updated or new text is added to it.

The button templates are avaliable in the CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: can't get attachments to work when piping from mail
Next Topic: Cookie problems on install (re-login loop!)
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 15:27:12 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02779 seconds