FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Installation Script Failure - Parse errors and unexpected characters.
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Installation Script Failure - Parse errors and unexpected characters. [message #13438] Mon, 13 October 2003 15:32 Go to next message
sjanes71 is currently offline  sjanes71   United States
I thought that FUDForum was pretty cool-- it installed at home on my Gentoo machine without a hitch with its strange install.php setup. Then the troubles began.

I've downloaded the zlib and non-zlib versions of 2.5.1 with web-browers and wget. I've even used CVS to checkout a copy of the current FUDForum sources and built "install.php" according to the readme. Everything I do has the same result: the PHP parser gives a parse error buried somewhere in the archive appended to the end of install.php. Is there any way to install FUD forum without relying on this install.php format? What ever happened to a nice, easy to use, .tar.gz file?
Re: Installation Script Failure - Parse errors and unexpected characters. [message #13448 is a reply to message #13438] Tue, 14 October 2003 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The installer is there because the non-installer way is way to complex and prone to errors. Hence, there is no way other then the installer to install the forum.

Is the PHP version on your Gentoo box & your server the same? Are the md5s of install.php that works and the one does not the same?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Installation Script Failure - Parse errors and unexpected characters. [message #13473 is a reply to message #13448] Tue, 14 October 2003 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Throwing up some info:

On the Gentoo Box:

sj@gentoo3 FF $ md5sum ~/FUDforum_zl_2-5-1.tar.gz
c6ffaf04cca0077da50b6bab05e319a2 /home/sj/FUDforum_zl_2-5-1.tar.gz

PHP Version on Local Machine:

echo "<?php echo phpinfo()?>" | php |head
phpinfo()
PHP Version => 4.3.2

On the shared hosting provider:

[sjanes71b@curve FF]$ md5sum ~/FUDforum_zl_2-5-1.tar.gz
c6ffaf04cca0077da50b6bab05e319a2 /home/sjanes71b/FUDforum_zl_2-5-1.tar.gz

PHP Version on Remote Machine:

[sjanes71b@curve FF]$ echo "<?php echo phpinfo()?>" | php -- |head
Content-type: text/html
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.3.2

The checksums seem to agree and the PHP versions are not anything wildly antiquated. Is there something in the archive that depends on how PHP was built?
Re: Installation Script Failure - Parse errors and unexpected characters. [message #13479 is a reply to message #13473] Tue, 14 October 2003 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Wrong md5s I am afraid.
I was asking for the md5 of the install.php not the archive.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Installation Script Failure - Parse errors and unexpected characters. [message #13488 is a reply to message #13479] Tue, 14 October 2003 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

[sjanes71b@curve FUDforum2]$ md5sum install.php
476e7fbd84f5426aaa27abce5734b042 install.php

sj@gentoo3 FUDforum2 $ md5sum install.php
476e7fbd84f5426aaa27abce5734b042 install.php

They match.
Re: Installation Script Failure - Parse errors and unexpected characters. [message #13489 is a reply to message #13488] Tue, 14 October 2003 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
And you are saying that one install.php works fine while the other gives parse error and the files are identical?

That would imply a problem with PHP that gives parse errors.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Installation Script Failure - Parse errors and unexpected characters. [message #13499 is a reply to message #13489] Tue, 14 October 2003 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it is a problem with the PHP that gives the errors (we already knew that). However, it's on shared webhosting and I cannot change the PHP there.

Are you telling me that I cannot use FUD Forum at all because no one understands why any particular version of PHP gags on the install.php archive and there is no other way to install it?
Re: Installation Script Failure - Parse errors and unexpected characters. [message #13500 is a reply to message #13499] Tue, 14 October 2003 14:59 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
If there is a problem with PHP there is nothing to say that this problem won't materialize else where & cause problems.

I'd say you should compare the configurations between the two systems and see if you can spot any differences. I think the problem could be the result of
session.use_trans_sid or automatic page prefix/postfix script being added to the file or output filter being used on the server. Once you determine the culprit I can help you resolve the problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Polls and Listmaker fail to update...
Next Topic: Help cant get into admin section and im locked out of directories
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Oct 07 08:20:06 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04415 seconds