FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Fallen at the first hurdle
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14313] Wed, 12 November 2003 11:11 Go to next message
bunzer is currently offline  bunzer   United Kingdom
Hi there. I'm trying to install FUD 2.5.2 on my ISPs Linux/Apache CGI server. They run php 4.3.3 and mySQL 3.23.53, so I think I'm okay for version numbers.

I'm a DOS/Windows PC veteran of 15 years but I've done some UNIX admin and I've installed php applications successfully before, so I'm no stranger to things like ascii/binary transfers and chmod. Be gentle with me.

As far as I can tell, the server is not running in safe mode and has no functions disabled (php4 -i). There are several other customers running applications on the same server, so I guess that I must be running some sort of virtual server as I have my own cgi host name based on my account name, separate to my standard web space.

Anyway, I've uploaded the install.php a couple of times, once after unzipping locally and once unzipping on the server. I don't think it's corrupted, which seems to be a common problem.

I have chmodded the files' directory to 707 (apache runs as "user") and even tried the writeable fudforum_archive file thing.

I haven't told you what happens yet. Nothing. I browse to serverpath/install.php and after a few seconds wait I get the old Page Cannot Be Displayed error. I've seen this sort of thing before when I tried to install another package with an inadequate ISP installation of Pear.

So, anyone got any ideas? I've searched the forums already for similar symptoms, but come up empty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keith.
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14319 is a reply to message #14313] Wed, 12 November 2003 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
This sounds like a CGI/Fast-CGI problem that was fixed in 2.6.0RC4. Could you please try 2.6.0RC5 and see if you encounter the same problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14323 is a reply to message #14319] Wed, 12 November 2003 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 12 November 2003 13:04

This sounds like a CGI/Fast-CGI problem that was fixed in 2.6.0RC4. Could you please try 2.6.0RC5 and see if you encounter the same problem.

Nice one, thank you! I actually get set-up screen #1 now.

I created the appropriate directories chmodded to 707 and pressed Next. There was a long delay followed by a Page Cannot be Displayed.

I tried install.php again and this time I got Internal Server Error.

Looking at the new files and directories created by install.php with SmartFTP I see that they are owned by "nobody" with permissions of 600/700. Ouch. That means I can't delete them to start again without ISP intervention (or does it?).

Anyway, the server seemed to be running slowly when I started the install, so I deleted what I could and tried again. I got exactly the same result the second attempt.

Is this a permissions problem? I do not have root permissions on this server as it is owned by my ISP.

Keith.
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14326 is a reply to message #14323] Wed, 12 November 2003 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Uhm you are using CGI and the files are owned by nobody?

The permissions are fine, you can use uninstall.php to remove them and you can later unlock them if the forum is installed.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14327 is a reply to message #14326] Wed, 12 November 2003 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 12 November 2003 14:35

The permissions are fine, you can use uninstall.php to remove them and you can later unlock them if the forum is installed.

Ah, ehm yes, that saved me a lot of time. Sorry, I'm an idiot. I'll start again and search the forums if I get stuck again. Thanks for your help.

Keith.
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14328 is a reply to message #14326] Wed, 12 November 2003 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 12 November 2003 14:35

I failed another attempt just now.

I tried to run uninstall.php, but got Internal Server Error.

I deleted the newly installed .htaccess file and this enabled me to run uninstall.php. Has this got anything to do with the Page Cannot Be Displayed error going from step #1 to step #2, or is this Internal Server Error to be expected when trying to uninstall?

Keith.
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14329 is a reply to message #14328] Wed, 12 November 2003 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
uninstall.php should definately not fail with the error you mention.

Are you using memory limit on that server? (check phpinfo()).

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14338 is a reply to message #14329] Wed, 12 November 2003 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 12 November 2003 15:17

uninstall.php should definately not fail with the error you mention.

Are you using memory limit on that server? (check phpinfo()).

No idea. I can't see any reference to memory. I've attached the phpinfo output.

As a matter of interest, I decided to put an .htaccess at the root of the site to stop probing and to do redirects. The redirect works fine, but 'IndexIgnore *' causes '500 Internal Server Error'. Maybe there's something in FUD's htaccess which my ISP's server doesn't like? I dunno because I don't know what's in it.

Keith.
  • Attachment: phpinfo.zip
    (Size: 5.48KB, Downloaded 764 times)
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14343 is a reply to message #14338] Wed, 12 November 2003 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ok..

According to the phpinfo() you are using Apache sapi, not CGI as you have originally told me. This explains why the files are owned by the same user as the Apache server rather then you.

During the installer FUDforum does create .htaccess file, however it tries to validate that file by making a request to the server. If the request fails the .htaccess is removed and the installer continues.

You do not appear to have memory_limit enabled, so that is not the source of the problem.

However I do see 1 possible problem, installer tries to call to set_time_limit() functions, which in your case is disabled. This may result in the script generating an error. Try removing the set_time_limit() function, which can be found near the top of the script.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14348 is a reply to message #14343] Wed, 12 November 2003 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 12 November 2003 17:45

According to the phpinfo() you are using Apache sapi, not CGI as you have originally told me. This explains why the files are owned by the same user as the Apache server rather then you.

Oh, sorry! My ISP refer to that server as the "CGI server" because it's the one they let customers run Perl, FrontPage, Python, php etc on. I'm afraid, I've got no idea what the difference is between Apache CGI and Apache sapi.

Ilia wrote on Wed, 12 November 2003 17:45

However I do see 1 possible problem, installer tries to call to set_time_limit() functions, which in your case is disabled. This may result in the script generating an error. Try removing the set_time_limit() function, which can be found near the top of the script.

There are 14 references to this in the script, thirteen with and one without a leading "@". Will I need to comment them all out?

Keith.
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14349 is a reply to message #14348] Wed, 12 November 2003 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You should only remove the 1st one near the very top of the file.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14353 is a reply to message #14349] Wed, 12 November 2003 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 12 November 2003 19:15

You should only remove the 1st one near the very top of the file.

Okay, I did that.
Uploaded in Binary. Created separate script and data folders and chmodded 777.
Browsed the install.php script, answered the questions in step #1, pressed Next.

This time, there's no Page Cannot Be Displayed error. But, as I type this message, the globe has been spinning for probably 15 minutes now.

Looking at the file structure, it seem that the same files as last time have been created, and nothing more is happening as I wait. The script folder has directories called images and adm and files called php.php, lib.js, blank.gif and .htaccess. The data folder has 11 directories: thm, src, sql, scripts, include, errors, cache, tmp, template, messages and files.

Step #2 is still tantalisingly out of reach.

Is there any way I can generate some sort of error log to help diagnose the problem?

Sorry to be a pain.

Keith.
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14356 is a reply to message #14353] Wed, 12 November 2003 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Enable PHP's error logging to a file, that may help you. The fact that the files are being created is definately a good sign, it means decompression process is happening.

Normally this process takes no more then 1-2 seconds, so any prolonged delay would imply an error.

The one possible problem could be the request checks being made to the server itself. If your ISP implements some tricky mechanism to prevent PHP from making requests to the server itself.

You can test this hypothesis by commenting out call to htaccess_handler() and
f (fud_ini_get('allow_url_fopen')) { block from line 661 down to line 672.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14376 is a reply to message #14356] Thu, 13 November 2003 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 12 November 2003 22:12

Enable PHP's error logging to a file, that may help you.

I would if I knew how Embarassed
I'll have a google.

You can test this hypothesis by commenting out call to htaccess_handler() and
f (fud_ini_get('allow_url_fopen')) { block from line 661 down to line 672.

I'm not sure what you mean.
Do you mean: comment out the function call to "htaccess_handler" on line 781?
Do you mean: comment out the 4 lines of the "if" statement within the function, containing "fud_ini_get('allow_url_fopen')"? - and if so there is another similar "nested if" further down the function, do I do anything with that too?

Confused.

Keith.
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14379 is a reply to message #14356] Thu, 13 November 2003 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Enable PHP's error logging to a file, that may help you.

I can't access the server's php.ini nor Apache conf. The php directives aren't allowed in the htaccess file (another Internal Server Error). Bah!

So I added these lines to the start of the install.php:

ini_set("display_errors","On");
error_reporting (E_ERROR | E_WARNING | E_PARSE | !E_NOTICE);

This is on top of the set_time_limit mod suggested earlier.

The step 1 page still hangs after clicking Next, even though the files are created on the server. There's no error message. In other words the addition made no difference. I'm not sure how I can discover the error unless you know another way of logging them on virtual servers.

I still haven't made the other changes suggested (regarding php making server requests) as I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for your patience.

Keith.
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14402 is a reply to message #14379] Thu, 13 November 2003 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The modified FUD installer can be found here:
http://bb.prohost.org/install.tar.gz

Try it and let me know how it works out.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14404 is a reply to message #14402] Thu, 13 November 2003 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 13 November 2003 15:28

The modified FUD installer can be found here:
http://bb.prohost.org/install.tar.gz

Try it and let me know how it works out.

Hurrah! I'm on to Step 2.

But... I'm getting an error message in the Database field:

Failed to create table "fud_action_log" ("CREATE INDEX fud26_action_log_i_ul ON fud26_action_log (user_id, logtime)"), SQL Reason: index command denied to user: 'bunzer [at] physweb2.cgi.plus.net' for table 'fud26_action_log'

I bet you hate me Rolling Eyes

Keith.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 November 2003 16:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14405 is a reply to message #14404] Thu, 13 November 2003 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This error is already 'your fault', what it means is that your SQL account does not have permission to create table indexes. You need to contact your hosting provider and ask them to grant your MySQL user this permission.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14406 is a reply to message #14405] Thu, 13 November 2003 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 13 November 2003 16:29

You need to contact your hosting provider and ask them to grant your MySQL user this permission.

Okay, I'll get straight on it. Let's hope they are as helpful as you have been.

Thanks.

Keith.
Re: Fallen at the first hurdle [message #14451 is a reply to message #14405] Fri, 14 November 2003 14:34 Go to previous message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 13 November 2003 16:29

This error is already 'your fault', what it means is that your SQL account does not have permission to create table indexes. You need to contact your hosting provider and ask them to grant your MySQL user this permission.

This is what the support engineer had to say:
Quote:

After investigations into this there is no reason that you should not have the ability to create indexes.

I have raised this to change control then will get it inserted into the development teams workstack.

I do not know how long this will take however.

So, I'm stuck temprarily. Is there any way I can recreate this fault using phpMySqlAdmin?

On a more positive note, I have installed Apache 1.3, php 4.3.4 and MySQL 3.23.58 on my Windows 2000 box and I am running FUD 2.6 RC5 on localhost for evaluation purposes.

Keith.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: internal server error
Next Topic: Evil lag - More problems with v2.5.2 upgrade
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Oct 02 14:19:42 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02783 seconds