FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Forum Styles » phpBB style?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
phpBB style? [message #13940] Sat, 01 November 2003 10:51 Go to next message
Niklas Forsberg is currently offline  Niklas Forsberg   Sweden

Is there anyone who made a phpBB look-a-like style?

Or do I have to be the first one?
Re: phpBB style? [message #13949 is a reply to message #13940] Sat, 01 November 2003 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You can be the first, keep in mind phpbb style is not open source. So you may encounter licensing issues if you duplicate it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: phpBB style? [message #15042 is a reply to message #13940] Sun, 30 November 2003 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dindal is currently offline  Dindal   United States
The actualy phpBB subSilver is opensource if you:
A. Give credit to phpBB
B. Don't copy everything exactly

I've used phpBB for years and I know this stuff by heart.
Re: phpBB style? [message #15047 is a reply to message #15042] Sun, 30 November 2003 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Not interested, if you want to make your forum like exactly like phpBB you are more then welcome to do so, the tools to do it are in place. But I prefer to have FUDforum with a unique identity rather that of phpBB.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: phpBB style? [message #17427 is a reply to message #15047] Tue, 30 March 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RushFan is currently offline  RushFan   United States
Ilia wrote on Sun, 30 November 2003 14:02

Not interested, if you want to make your forum like exactly like phpBB you are more then welcome to do so, the tools to do it are in place. But I prefer to have FUDforum with a unique identity rather that of phpBB.

Yeah, I don't like phpBB because they all look the same. Its the same with InvisionPowerBoard. Great forum, but they all IPB sites look the same. I've applied to two free hosting sites with PHP and MYsql. If/When I get an account, I plan to make a new site with Fudforum... By the way, does anybody know of a plugin for Fudforum and Xoops (so Fudforum will appear "inside" a Xoops website.
Re: phpBB style? [message #17434 is a reply to message #17427] Tue, 30 March 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
There is no FUDforum -> Xoops intergration but you can probably write one really quickly via FUDAPI.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: phpBB style? [message #17459 is a reply to message #17434] Wed, 31 March 2004 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RushFan is currently offline  RushFan   United States
Ilia wrote on Tue, 30 March 2004 09:02

There is no FUDforum -> Xoops intergration but you can probably write one really quickly via FUDAPI.

Hmm, FUDAPI? How can I get ahold of this?
Re: phpBB style? [message #17461 is a reply to message #17459] Wed, 31 March 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you download FUDforum version 2.6.1 you will find fudapi.inc.php inside the scripts directory.
Re: phpBB style? [message #17777 is a reply to message #13940] Sun, 18 April 2004 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkavanagh is currently offline  mkavanagh   United Kingdom
Quote:

Is there anyone who made a phpBB look-a-like style?

Or do I have to be the first one?

Hmm..FUDforum initially took things verbatim from phpBB, and I think anyone with eyes can still see the resemblance..though the FUDforum layout is cluttered and the graphics are barely readable Smile

Quote:

You can be the first, keep in mind phpbb style is not open source. So you may encounter licensing issues if you duplicate it.

phpBB's subSilver is released under the GNU GPL, just like the rest of phpBB; if you don't consider that open source you probably shouldn't be trying to run an open source project Smile

Quote:

The actualy phpBB subSilver is opensource if you:
A. Give credit to phpBB
B. Don't copy everything exactly

You only have to give the credit required under the GPL, which is actually quite permissive; notice in the source/authors files is 'fine' Smile

And there is nothing in the GNU GPL to prevent you copying the style exactly Smile

Quote:

Good thing that FUDforum doesn't copy phpBB's stylistic elements verbatim any more then, eh? Smile

If you want a truly unique stylistic identity for FUDforum you should develop a professional-quality, well-thought-out and useable style that doesn't look like a poor ripoff of phpBB's subSilver Smile

Oops, I trolled Rolling Eyes
Re: phpBB style? [message #19078 is a reply to message #17777] Thu, 24 June 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alansmith is currently offline  alansmith   United Kingdom
Quote:

though the FUDforum layout is cluttered and the graphics are barely readable Smile

I agree with this point, I run a large monitor with a high res and it is quite hard to see things. In the UK the goverment recentally passed new accessiability laws, most of us are ifnoring them however visually impared users probably wouldnt be able to see th buttons thus making your software now illegial in this country.

Good old Poodle Blair.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 June 2004 00:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: phpBB style? [message #19088 is a reply to message #19078] Thu, 24 June 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tufan is currently offline  tufan   Turkey
Hi,

Quote:

Quote:

though the FUDforum layout is cluttered and the graphics are barely readable Smile

I agree with this point, .... visually impared users ....

I can't agree more, and so are nearly all of the users of our forum.

Not only visually impaired users, but also users with healty eyes complain about the current default and only theme of fudforum. The biggest problem is the low contrast, I guess.

Our forum is one where social and religous matters are discussed, so quite long messages are posted (Not just a link and many "thanks" messages like in a warez forum, for example). I'm sure there are many forums like ours.

Now, since it's not guaranteed that your custom theme will work in the next version of fudforum, perhaps at least the colors of the default theme may be changed as a solution Rolling Eyes ? Just a suggestion...

I don't like the phpbb style either, and actually I don't mind the color/layout of the fudforum, but that's mainly because I don't read the messages posted to our forum Smile I got this complain nearly from every member Smile

From an administrator point of view, I guess most of us choose fudforum due to its technical features. However, the users who will ACTUALLY USE the fudforum aren't interested in them at all, they just want a beautiful interface, and that's nearly the only thing they want (primarily).

I think either it should be guaranteed that your themes will work in all (at least minor) new versions of the fudforum and perhaps the themes made by other people should be added to source, or at least the default and the only theme should definitely be changed.

cya,
tufan

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/firefox2/firefox-spread-btn-1.png
Re: phpBB style? [message #19090 is a reply to message #19078] Thu, 24 June 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
alansmith wrote on Wed, 23 June 2004 20:39

Quote:

I agree with this point, I run a large monitor with a high res and it is quite hard to see things. In the UK the goverment recentally passed new accessiability laws, most of us are ifnoring them however visually impared users probably wouldnt be able to see th buttons thus making your software now illegial in this country.

Good old Poodle Blair.

I very much doubt that will be the case. I use FUDforum on a fairly large resolution 1280x1024 and have no problems making out buttons. More over all browsers have this wonderful feature that allows you to increase the size of the text and some like opera even zoom in.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: phpBB style? [message #19091 is a reply to message #19088] Thu, 24 June 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
tiufang wrote on Thu, 24 June 2004 07:51

Hi,

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with this point, .... visually impared users ....

I can't agree more, and so are nearly all of the users of our forum.

Not only visually impaired users, but also users with healty eyes complain about the current default and only theme of fudforum. The biggest problem is the low contrast, I guess.

Our forum is one where social and religous matters are discussed, so quite long messages are posted (Not just a link and many "thanks" messages like in a warez forum, for example). I'm sure there are many forums like ours.

Now, since it's not guaranteed that your custom theme will work in the next version of fudforum, perhaps at least the colors of the default theme may be changed as a solution Rolling Eyes ? Just a suggestion...

I don't like the phpbb style either, and actually I don't mind the color/layout of the fudforum, but that's mainly because I don't read the messages posted to our forum Smile I got this complain nearly from every member Smile

From an administrator point of view, I guess most of us choose fudforum due to its technical features. However, the users who will ACTUALLY USE the fudforum aren't interested in them at all, they just want a beautiful interface, and that's nearly the only thing they want (primarily).

I think either it should be guaranteed that your themes will work in all (at least minor) new versions of the fudforum and perhaps the themes made by other people should be added to source, or at least the default and the only theme should definitely be changed.

cya,
tufan

Personally I like the current design and have not heard many complaints about it. In fact most people seem to prefer it to the older FUDforum designs. That said if you can give me a better designs I'll certainly consider it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: phpBB style? [message #26878 is a reply to message #13940] Fri, 19 August 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
langer is currently offline  langer   Australia
"Busy" is a word that springs to mind....

Spacing between things needs to be slightly increased for readability. I assume there is a style sheet lurking somewhere for this, as well as to reduce the page width.

Are there any sites dedicated to FUD Forum themes yet??
Re: phpBB style? [message #26881 is a reply to message #26878] Fri, 19 August 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, we are having design contest for just that reason Wink

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: phpBB style? [message #26883 is a reply to message #13940] Fri, 19 August 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
langer is currently offline  langer   Australia
excellent!
Re: phpBB style? [message #36431 is a reply to message #19091] Fri, 23 March 2007 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhiteFire is currently offline  WhiteFire   United States
I think my biggest complaint is that the post 2.5.x or so the width of each row in the tables for both the forum listings and topic listings has grown vertically in a very drastic way.

This reduces the number of lines you can see at once.

The topic display is especially bad if you are a moderator with each and every row being three lines high. Not only that, but personally I think the subject column is now hopelessly cluttered.

IM(ns)HO.
Re: phpBB style? [message #36433 is a reply to message #36431] Fri, 23 March 2007 03:35 Go to previous message
Marticus   United States
While that wasn't exactly on topic, I do agree with what WhiteFire had to say about the height. I haven't played around with this aspect of the default style, but it certainly would be better to reduce it to two lines again. Maybe the subject and the author/date stamp can be on the same line when moderator options are present.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Editing Template does nothing
Next Topic: Dark with greys, yellows, blues, browns
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 17:20:53 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02254 seconds