FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » I have an error
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
I have an error [message #15642] Mon, 29 December 2003 18:50 Go to next message
aircool5(at)bellsouth(dot)net is currently offline  aircool5(at)bellsouth(dot)net   United States
When I try to post a massages , look what happend.

Warning: fopen(/home/pigeons4/FUDforum/messages/msg_1): failed to open stream: Permiso denegado in /home/pigeons4/public_html/FUDforum2/theme/default/post.php on line 1819

Warning: fseek(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/pigeons4/public_html/FUDforum2/theme/default/post.php on line 1820

Warning: ftell(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/pigeons4/public_html/FUDforum2/theme/default/post.php on line 1821

Warning: fstat(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/pigeons4/FUDforum/include/core.inc on line 146

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/pigeons4/public_html/FUDforum2/theme/default/post.php on line 1831
FATAL ERROR: system has ran out of disk space
Re: I have an error [message #15643 is a reply to message #15642] Mon, 29 December 2003 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aircool5(at)bellsouth(dot)net is currently offline  aircool5(at)bellsouth(dot)net   United States
Never mean I fix it. Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 29 December 2003 19:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: I have an error [message #26494 is a reply to message #15643] Fri, 22 July 2005 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gjenkins is currently offline  gjenkins   United States
I have the exact same thing. some things a screwy with the themes directory. How did you fix it?
Re: I have an error [message #26495 is a reply to message #26494] Fri, 22 July 2005 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Well the error is permissions related, so the fix would involve changing the permissions of the affected file to allow the web server to read/write to it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: I have an error [message #26498 is a reply to message #26495] Fri, 22 July 2005 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gjenkins is currently offline  gjenkins   United States
Yeah, I figured that, but I am wondering how thay got jacked up. We will probably just load the whole theme dir again and make sure the permissions are the same as a fresh install.
Re: I have an error [message #26511 is a reply to message #26495] Sat, 23 July 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Astoria is currently offline  Astoria   United States
Ilia wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 14:24

Well the error is permissions related, so the fix would involve changing the permissions of the affected file to allow the web server to read/write to it.

I am also having problems with file permissions, in V2.6.15. I ran into the posting problem yesterday which is described in the first post. This is on a new forum which had only been up for a day, less than 100 posts on it. Just to get the forum back up I ran a chmod 777 for all the files.

Then, figuring that something had happened to my permissions, I ran a clean install of a test forum. After I changed the permissions of the sub-directories in my production forum's Data Root directory to match the permissions of the clean install (711), I got fopen() errors for the cache subdirectory when I tried to change the name of one of the forums. The forum name was changed in the admin list but not in the home page display.

I was able to fix the problem by changing the permissions on cache to 733.

What relationship should a user and/or admin of the forum have with relation to the (linux) file permissions? At this point it seems that we must be "world".

Also, is there a list somewhere of what the file permissions normally are for a FUDforum on a linux system?

Thanks,
Astoria
Re: I have an error [message #26512 is a reply to message #26511] Sat, 23 July 2005 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The permissions do not need to be world, by default the forum files created during the install process are owned by the web server user. So very strict permissions can be used 0700 for dirs and 0600 for files.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: I have an error (file permissions) [message #26513 is a reply to message #26512] Sat, 23 July 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 16:36

The permissions do not need to be world, by default the forum files created during the install process are owned by the web server user. So very strict permissions can be used 0700 for dirs and 0600 for files.

Could my forum have become disassociated from the server user somehow? It definitely does not work when I set the permissions that strictly.
Re: I have an error (file permissions) [message #26514 is a reply to message #26513] Sun, 24 July 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
What user/group the web server runs as and what is the user/group who owns the files?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: I have an error (file permissions) [message #26515 is a reply to message #26514] Sun, 24 July 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 17:00

What user/group the web server runs as and what is the user/group who owns the files?

I am not sure I understand your question. We are using a hosting service. Our account with them owns the files for our site - it is just above the "public_html" level. ("public_html" is the same level at which I created the "non-public" files directory) The accounts I specified when creating the FUDforum are the one I created to be the owner of the MySQL database, which is different than the hosting account. The forum admin account (last one created by the install script) is not the same as the hosting account.
Re: I have an error (file permissions) [message #26517 is a reply to message #26515] Sun, 24 July 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I am asking about file permissions, on *nix system each file/directory has an owner and owner group. My question to you was if those are the same as the user/group web server application runs as.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: I have an error (file permissions) [message #26519 is a reply to message #26517] Sun, 24 July 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The web server application is run by the hosting service, not by us.
Re: I have an error (file permissions) [message #26520 is a reply to message #26519] Sun, 24 July 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I realize that, but you can still find out what user it runs as...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: I have an error (file permissions) [message #26521 is a reply to message #26520] Sun, 24 July 2005 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will try to find out.

The problem didn't start occurring right away; it seems to have started after one of the admins ran a "rebuild theme" on the default theme.

addendum: I just installed another piece of software, this time using a script provided by the hosting service, and when I tried to log into its admin account I also got file permission errors. Looks like this could be a problem with the hosting service rather than anything we did to our FUD installation.
Thanks for your time

[Updated on: Mon, 25 July 2005 19:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: I have an error (file permissions) [message #26538 is a reply to message #26520] Tue, 26 July 2005 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still haven't heard back from the hosting service. The files that were initially created when I set up the forum are owned by my site admin account.

The forum admin who ran the "rebuild theme" is not a site admin.

Subsequent files created by the forum seem to have an owner of "nobody".

I realise that this still does not tell for sure who is the owner of the web server application--unless perhaps it is "nobody". Apologies that I am unable to do so.
Re: I have an error (file permissions) [message #26539 is a reply to message #26538] Tue, 26 July 2005 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Creating a new instance of fudforum I get the following msg:
Quote:

Directory "(our directory name)" exist, however install script has no permission to write to this directory. Chmod it 777 or make it's user/group same as the (nobody/)

So it looks like "nobody" is the webserver owner.
Thanks
Re: I have an error (file permissions) [message #26542 is a reply to message #26539] Tue, 26 July 2005 20:17 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
If all forum's files are owned by user nobody then 700 for directories and 600 for files are sufficient permissions.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Redundant Code?
Next Topic: Question on FUDForum capacity....
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 01:04:50 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03175 seconds