FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Forum for large hirachical structure
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Forum for large hirachical structure [message #15721 is a reply to message #14682] Fri, 02 January 2004 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
Ilia писал(а) Срд, 19 Ноября 2003 17:20

Sounds like you want sub-forums, which FUDforum does not support.

Is it something you considered and found too hard to implement for your existing code or just something you don't need?

The point is that I would like that too but I still prefer FUD over IPB. I try to figure out if I could make such a change for myself. As far as I see (and I don't see too far) I would need to make the following changes:
  1. Add a field for parent_id in *_forums table
  2. Write a function for listing subforums in the forum views & call it in t=forum
  3. Figure out the nedded changes for the hierarchy line links above the main forum & topic views
  4. Add another selection field in forum management admin to indicacte the parent forum & consequent function changes
  5. Figure out the posts & threads count issue (may be leave them as is, just add # of subforums count beside the forum name like in CMSs?)
  6. May be modify moderator's rights handling & admin allowing to moderate the whole forum with subforums from any level or just one forum.

Did I miss something important?
Is there anything too difficult to work around?
Will that engender much heavier load on the system/slowdowns?

As far as I understandm this would give FUD forum the ability to create unlimited subforum levels. even though I can't imagine a use for more than 3 levels, yet it could be limited in the code, right?

The basic question is: does it worth trying to make such a change (my trying) in your opinion and/or would you be willing to help with minor indications on important places for change if I decide to do it however?

What this question is NOT about: whether you'll be willing to include it as a feature of your forum - I will try to figure it as a hack for others (if successfull) if I can.

P.S. - Oups! bugs? On preview button hit it cicked me to the index of all forums!

Lady of Avalon
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message