FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Post 2.6.0 TODO
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Post 2.6.0 TODO [message #15781] Sun, 04 January 2004 22:31 Go to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Now that the date for 2.6.0 stable release is set, it is time to considering where to go beyond that release. I anticipate that past 2.6.0 we'll have 2-3 'bug-fix' releases with possibly few small features. Other then that there are a few features that I'd like to implement and I am also looking for other suggestions on what sort of things you'd like to see in FUD.

TODO

• Date range for message navigator Done (Jan 08)
  • Export API
  • Title preview of the 1st message in the topic.
  • Show all IPs used by a particular user (new control panel for admins & moderators, possibly enable if public IP display is enabled). Done (Jan 08)
  • Image alignment tags Done (Jan 06)
  • Accesskey shotcuts for post things Done (Jan 06)

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Fri, 09 January 2004 04:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO [message #15802 is a reply to message #15781] Mon, 05 January 2004 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firepages is currently offline  firepages   Australia
a `quick reply` textarea when viewing a thread a`la VB ? ( apologies if its been discussed before )
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO [message #15808 is a reply to message #15802] Mon, 05 January 2004 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I don't like the idea for several reasons. The primary reason being that when using that "quick reply" the reply would be assigned to the primary topic message, completely destroying threaded views, made possible by replies to actual messages.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO [message #15815 is a reply to message #15781] Mon, 05 January 2004 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aha ok point taken , it would have to be a reply to either the primary or last post.

ok as a last gasp ...what about Wink a quick-reply button on each post which opened a hidden div at the bottom of the post/thread with a textarea ..

NOT trying to push the point BTW , simply chucking ideas around , the quick reply feature is not something that would bother me personally , just trying to cover whats out there ATM.
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO [message #15817 is a reply to message #15815] Mon, 05 January 2004 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
firepages wrote on Mon, 05 January 2004 12:40

aha ok point taken , it would have to be a reply to either the primary or last post.

Now it is not intutive and amazingly accurate. Some people would think they are replying to 1st post, some to the last and a third group would use it because it's simpler then clicking on reply link for the appropriate message.

Quote:

ok as a last gasp ...what about Wink a quick-reply button on each post which opened a hidden div at the bottom of the post/thread with a textarea ..

Too much magic (IMHO) plus harder to use. I mean if you click reply button you get to reply to the message and if you need to reread the topic it's display at the bottom of the page anyway.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO [message #15830 is a reply to message #15817] Tue, 06 January 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Mon, 05 January 2004 13:28

Too much magic (IMHO) plus harder to use...

thought perhaps as much ...

OK then Wink what about ...

HTML or multipart email option and/or user CP ability to declare whether they want HTML email or not.

Not so much for forum activity notification , but for mass mail which may benefit from being `prettier` depending on the content?
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO [message #15833 is a reply to message #15830] Tue, 06 January 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The full body notifications already use multi-part. As far as the mass e-mail, it can only be plain text anyway, there is no way to make it HTML.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO - email message format [message #16192 is a reply to message #15833] Tue, 20 January 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
Actually, I were thinking all the time of why the notifications are HTML? I personally prefer txt for it takes less space and were thinking to convert my notification template to plain text (I didn't use yet the maillist, although I think to do so in the future. What about it? Same thing? I mean when it's a forum post which gets distributed, it's HTML?)

Mass-mail in my comprehension is not to use too often and for the admin it seems quite OK to me to use plain text.

So may be, it could be a good idea for users to be able to select format for the notification (& maillist posted on the forum) for that matter in their preferences? That would take as far as I see as much as 1 additional template and 1 extra field to fud_users table + notify & maillist from forum sending functions with an extra comparison clause? And perhaps one more function for smilies replacement with its name, or had that been already done for maillist, I seem to have read it somewhere?

Lady of Avalon
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO - email message format [message #16195 is a reply to message #16192] Tue, 20 January 2004 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Notifications are both HTML and TXT, if your e-mail client does not support HTML the text version will appear.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO - email message format [message #16198 is a reply to message #16195] Tue, 20 January 2004 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But those messages are 3 times larger and there are those who prefer to receive plain text while they use clients which support HTML (most mail clients today), it's for another reason.

Man... you asked for suggestion, we gave you one, I even gave explanations. Either you listen to users wishes, or if not - why asking? Very Happy

Lady of Avalon
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO - email message format [message #16199 is a reply to message #16198] Tue, 20 January 2004 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
1-2kb is not going to hurt anyone and flexibility more then makes up for it.

P.S. Just because I ask for suggestions it does not mean any suggestion will be implemented.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO - email message format [message #16209 is a reply to message #16199] Tue, 20 January 2004 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia ÐÉÓÁÌ(Á) ÷ÔÒ, 20 ñÎ×ÁÒÑ 2004 16:53

P.S. Just because I ask for suggestions it does not mean any suggestion will be implemented.

Sure! It's just that we cannot know in advance what you're going to judge worth of implementing, so we find out this way, like the saying goes "it's for us to propose, it's for you to refuse" Smile

Lady of Avalon
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO - email message format [message #16435 is a reply to message #16209] Fri, 30 January 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Some suggestions you may or may not find useful:

If a new user has registerred it would be nice to have a log entry somewhere whith the name and the ip address, so it's easier to lock out troll attempts. Maybe the error log could be renamed to something like a more general log. Then we could add both errors and "system messages" like new registrations or future events which seem to be of importance.

With the previous point in mind, it would be beneficial if a new but still unconfirmed user would only be displayed as "new user" on the frontpage once the account as been confirmed and/or granted (depending on the forum configuration). The current approach makes it possible for trolls to to to choose offending names (like "foo_is_an_idiot" or such) which will immediately appear on the page. I think the approach should be not too feed such ill minded persons. Also it would solve the phenomenom that the forum members score would be more accurate as it only takes confirmed registrations into account.

On another note, it seems that some Windoze mailclients screw up the confirmation key, so people keep getting an error when attempting to reach that url. I know it's not Fud's fault, but maybe there's another way to make the key look like so that even the average WinXP /Outlook Express guy is able to succeed with registration.

bye
Olliver
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO - email message format [message #16447 is a reply to message #16435] Fri, 30 January 2004 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
IP logging is for the most part pointless. For example I have a DSL connection, which means that everytime I connect/disconnect my IP changes. Moreover, even if I stay connected 24/7 my IP would still change once a day. Most DSL providers also have many different IP masks, meaning that you can't even ban me by a small mask, without banning an entire ISP with tens of thousands (if not hundred thousands) of users. Bottom line is that very few people have static IPs, so tracking them is pretty pointless.

That said in 2.6.1, clicking on the user's IP beside the post will give you a lot more information and allow you to actually see all IPs used by a certain user and also find users by IP.

--- Point #2 ---

Unless you choose to manually confirm every account, waiting for an e-mail confirmation before showing the user's info is mostly pointless. Trolls will usually have >1 e-mail address and will be able to confirm the account easily. Since 'newest user' data is cached, by the time the cache is refreshed in most cases new account is already confirmed anyway.

--- Point #3 ---

I am suprised to hear win32 would mangle a simple URL, I have not see any reports to this effect previusly. Perhaps the issue is similar to the one some KDE's Kmail users experience where e-mail client would pre-open URLs inside the e-mail effectively confirming the user automatically. The effect is when they click on the confirmation URL they get an error since the account is already confirmed.
The only way to 'handle' this would be have the form be less automatic and actually require some user input such as a password before confirming the account. However, I'd like to know the scope of the problem and be able to confirm it myself (see the problem in real life) before applyng any fixed.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO - email message format [message #16451 is a reply to message #16447] Fri, 30 January 2004 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Ilia wrote on Fri, 30 January 2004 16:44

IP logging is for the most part pointless. For example I have a DSL connection, which means that everytime I connect/disconnect my IP changes. Moreover, even if I stay connected 24/7 my IP would still change once a day. Most DSL providers also have many different IP masks, meaning that you can't even ban me by a small mask, without banning an entire ISP with tens of thousands (if not hundred thousands) of users. Bottom line is that very few people have static IPs, so tracking them is pretty pointless.

Why is it pointless to know that someone is using a particular ISP? I think it's well known that most IP addresses will change after a disconnect. Persons may also tend to use anonymous proxies. My thought was rather, you already know that someone hides behind a registerred name and you only need to look up his/her current proxy used while registerring and add it to the block list.
Quote:

Unless you choose to manually confirm every account, waiting for an e-mail confirmation before showing the user's info is mostly pointless. Trolls will usually have >1 e-mail address and will be able to confirm the account easily. Since 'newest user' data is cached, by the time the cache is refreshed in most cases new account is already confirmed anyway.

You didn't get my point. You assume that people are registerring in order to get to the forum as confirmed users. But you can register with any non existing phantasy address. You won't be able to confirm it but still it shows up as new user until it will expire as unconfirmed. And stopping that annoyance is pointless? Seems you weren't carefully considering the implication of the current behaviour. Someone doesn't need to have an email address: It's sufficient to keep a valid format. So my argument is all but pointless.
Quote:

I am suprised to hear win32 would mangle a simple URL, I have not see any reports to this effect previusly. Perhaps the issue is similar to the one some KDE's Kmail users experience where e-mail client would pre-open URLs inside the e-mail effectively confirming the user automatically. The effect is when they click on the confirmation URL they get an error since the account is already confirmed.

I can only follow it in the error log. But the key seems to be people using html formatted mails and clients messing it up (Like Outlook Express). Outlook Express is known to add line breaks to a long URL so the clickable link (generated by the program) is trashed.

Olliver
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO - email message format [message #16460 is a reply to message #16451] Fri, 30 January 2004 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If a browser breaks the URL it's a bug in said browser, the browser can and in some cases should wrap the heading of the URL, but under no circumstances should it corrupt the URL itself. I'd say this is more of the result of incomplete copy & paste by the user rather then some mail client bug.

The new IP listing functionality will allow you to get far more information then just the initial registration IP.

If people are fooling around with registration system, simply stop showing statistics, they are pretty pointless anyway.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO - email message format [message #16471 is a reply to message #16460] Fri, 30 January 2004 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
It's not the browser, but Outlook Express itself which breaks them when displaying it as html formatted message. Regarding the IP feature, I'm looking forward to the update, but think I'm going to write something myself to suit that need.

Ilia wrote:

If people are fooling around with registration system, simply stop showing statistics, they are pretty pointless anyway.

I know that I can turn it off. That's not the issue it's about. I just meant to point out that a feature which is turned on as default can be abused. In which way they're pointless is probably something everyone has a different opinion of. If you don't want to fix it - your choice.

Nevermind
Olliver
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO - email message format [message #16474 is a reply to message #16471] Fri, 30 January 2004 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
But when outlook (just tried with Outlook Express) 'break' the URL the actual link is still valid, only the description is broken apart. Plus how do you suppose the URLs can be made shorter, they are just about as short as they can be at this point.

As far as IPs, wait till 2.6.1RC1 before writing any code, I am 90% certain that the new IP tracking code will more then satisfy your requirements.

Fixing it, which is really iffy (you could disallow certain words inside logins for example), since those users would still appear on member list etc... More importantly there is a technical issue here as well. To perform the check I'd need to add an index just for the sake of this 1 check ( index(id, users_opt) ), which seems like big waste to me. Without the index the query would be somewhat slow (versus instant ATM) and ultimately people who's want to have "fun", will simply validate their new accounts.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO [message #17245 is a reply to message #15781] Sun, 21 March 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AzaToth is currently offline  AzaToth   Sweden

How was it about sub-categories?
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO [message #17253 is a reply to message #17245] Sun, 21 March 2004 17:25 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Don't see too much need for sub-categories...

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Brake inn
Next Topic: how to include maillist?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 00:46:43 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02907 seconds