FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Don't show Reply and Quote Buttons when Permission isn't High Enough
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Don't show Reply and Quote Buttons when Permission isn't High Enough [message #158188] Sat, 07 February 2009 18:59 Go to next message
jm2morri is currently offline  jm2morri   Canada
I think it makes more sense to simply not show the reply and quote buttons if the user doesn't have the permission to do so.

James.
Re: Don't show Reply and Quote Buttons when Permission isn't High Enough [message #158189 is a reply to message #158188] Sat, 07 February 2009 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Sounds like a good suggestion. Can you please write a patch to fix it?

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Don't show Reply and Quote Buttons when Permission isn't High Enough [message #158190 is a reply to message #158189] Sat, 07 February 2009 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jm2morri is currently offline  jm2morri   Canada
naudefj wrote on Sat, 07 February 2009 16:13
Sounds like a good suggestion. Can you please write a patch to fix it?

That's funny. Don't let my pragmatic ability to fix what I need immediately with any sort of ability to actually program. Smile

If I get a minute I'll see, but I'm a hardware guy, not a software guy. Don't hold your breath though.

James.
Re: Don't show Reply and Quote Buttons when Permission isn't High Enough [message #158191 is a reply to message #158188] Sun, 08 February 2009 00:17 Go to previous message
Marticus   United States
I disagree. I think it is better to see a button that I can click to reply. If I haven't logged in, it prompts me to do so and then redirects me back to where I was. Most forums are hidden to members only, so I should already be logged in in most cases.

Anyway, changing the permission is easy enough. I believe you need to modify line 381 in src/drawmsg.inc.t Search these forums for working with permissions and associated values.

Again, the way it is now should be fine for most installations. IT is another way to get people to signup if they want to reply and don't have an account. It is human nature to lazily leave the site if they don't see a way to reply. They are more likely to signup if they are prompted to do so upon attempting to reply.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Member list management
Next Topic: Remove topic description field.
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 22:31:13 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02918 seconds