FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » "Invalid password reset key" when clicking the emailed URL when resetting passwords.
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
"Invalid password reset key" when clicking the emailed URL when resetting passwords. [message #15992] Sun, 11 January 2004 19:26 Go to next message
newbie   United States
When you click the "Login" link to a forum and then click "Forgot Password" and then type in a valid email address of the user you wish to have the password reset on and then click the URL it tells you to in the email received, FudForum 2.6.0 says:
"Invalid password reset key" on the page even though it is a perfectly valid password reset key. Anyways...despite it saying that, it does send a second email out with the newly reset password. The error message appears to be misleading when no error occured at all.
Re: "Invalid password reset key" when clicking the emailed URL when resetting passwords. [message #16062 is a reply to message #15992] Tue, 13 January 2004 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm cannot replicate, when I visit the reset_key URL I get a login form + a message saying that the password has been e-mailed.

What theme are you using?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: "Invalid password reset key" when clicking the emailed URL when resetting passwords. [message #16080 is a reply to message #16062] Tue, 13 January 2004 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newbie   United States
I am using the default one. I was even able to reproduce this bug on this forum site in Konqueror 3.1.4.
Re: "Invalid password reset key" when clicking the emailed URL when resetting passwords. [message #16081 is a reply to message #16080] Tue, 13 January 2004 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newbie   United States
heh.
It turns out that this is reproducible in one and only one browser and that is Konqueror 3.1.4. Only in Konqueror is when the forum says "invalid password reset key" when clicking the emailed URL, but the forum emails the new password just fine despite showing that error. In mozilla 1.5, I get a login form when clicking the emailed URL but not the invalid password reset key error message. Something unique to konqueror is causing the forum to generate that error message even when no error occurs and the forum still emails out the new password after clicking the URL in Konqueror.
Re: "Invalid password reset key" when clicking the emailed URL when resetting passwords. [message #16085 is a reply to message #16081] Tue, 13 January 2004 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newbie   United States
After packet sniffing my connection to see what is going on during this, it appears to not be caused by the forum at all but by what happens when a URL is clicked in kmail. It seems like Konqueror or something tests the URL to see if it works or not before actually opening a browser window to the URL later. The correct message is received when it does the initial test (according to what the packet sniffer shows) but isn't displayed, it is when it later opens up the same URL (1 second later) with konqueror's window being visible that it makes a second request and then shows "invalid password reset key" as a result since the key was already sent to the forum when it was testing the URL or something. When the URL is copied and pasted into an already open konqueror window, the error doesn't occur since only one request is being made. So this whole thing that I thought was a bug wasn't a bug, it is just caused by a double request with 1 second separating the 2 requests that konqueror (or something in kde) does when a URL is clicked from within kmail.
Re: "Invalid password reset key" when clicking the emailed URL when resetting passwords. [message #16086 is a reply to message #16085] Tue, 13 January 2004 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Oh wow, thanks for the detailed analysis. I guess that's something for people who use Kmail in combination with Konqueror to keep in mind.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: "Invalid password reset key" when clicking the emailed URL when resetting passwords. [message #16169 is a reply to message #16085] Sat, 17 January 2004 14:16 Go to previous message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
I never did a password reset so I don't know if it occurs in Netscape 6-7, neither ever I did packet sniffing with those browsers, but their mail was also opening a window only after it have got any response from the server which seems very much alike to the described behaviour, so the same error may be happened to those browser users. Netscape 7.1 doesn't do it any more - opens the url clicked in email in the browser window at once.

Lady of Avalon
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Bugs in IE 5.5
Next Topic: setup gets overwritten for PDF management
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Oct 06 08:24:27 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02601 seconds