FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » ID For Messages to Move
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
ID For Messages to Move [message #162312] Sat, 24 April 2010 13:44 Go to next message
jm2morri is currently offline  jm2morri   Canada
I tried to move a message from one forum to another and I don't understand what goes into the text box labelled "Specify the ID of the destination topic (can be in other forums)".

I tried the message number as listed on the forum. For example, to the right of the message title I see "[message #124411]" so I tried to enter that number. But it didn't like it. Is there some other ID I should be using?

Cheers,

James.
Re: ID For Messages to Move [message #162313 is a reply to message #162312] Sat, 24 April 2010 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
This is starting to become a FAQ.
I've documented the process at http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/Moderation#Move_Messages
Feel free to improve or expand it.
icon6.gif  Re: ID For Messages to Move [message #162315 is a reply to message #162313] Sat, 24 April 2010 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
naudefj wrote on Sat, 24 April 2010 12:56
This is starting to become a FAQ.
I've documented the process at http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/Moderation#Move_Messages
Feel free to improve or expand it.

I added the following: Quote:
Specifically the ID of the destination topic is the number and only the number located between (th= and the &) ampersand in the url of the topic target.

NOTE: Be aware that navigating to the topic through the user's profile, or by using search may give you the url of a specific post as opposed to the target topic itself...

I believe that is accurate, please understand that many of us (me especially) have difficulty fully comprehending what yourself and other coders relay and understand in just a few words.

In my case that lack of certainty makes me reluctant to add to the help files, even though I wish to help more.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: ID For Messages to Move [message #162329 is a reply to message #162315] Mon, 26 April 2010 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What permissions do you need for this? My account has authority to do everything (I think) but I can't move a message.

James.
Re: ID For Messages to Move [message #162330 is a reply to message #162329] Mon, 26 April 2010 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
jm2morri wrote on Mon, 26 April 2010 13:01
What permissions do you need for this? My account has authority to do everything (I think) but I can't move a message.

James.

Interesting question!

My 1st thought was "Move Topics", "Split Topics" but then I suppose you would need whatever permissions were required to make the Moved files themselves.

In the target forum of course! Somewhere in the old online manual there was something about the software "intelligently resolving conflicts" So I would imagine that if you did not have all the needed permissions to post images etc. then the software might not allow the action.

That may apply to the user who made the posts in the 1st place, and that's not even considering the Anonymous and Registered users masks or where they inherit from; so like I said "Interesting question!".

I have always presumed that having moderator permissions of both forums was required or that permissions to "Move Topics", "Split Topics" implied the ability to add the users to the new forum even if its group memberships were different than the original forum.

So the first place I would look is the group manager panels or have the admin look for conflicts in the permissions settings for the 2 forum groups.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: ID For Messages to Move [message #162348 is a reply to message #162329] Wed, 28 April 2010 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
jm2morri wrote:

This link, quite rightly so, only shows for topics with more than one message.
Re: ID For Messages to Move [message #162353 is a reply to message #162348] Thu, 29 April 2010 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Wed, 28 April 2010 15:29
jm2morri wrote:

This link, quite rightly so, only shows for topics with more than one message.

Right, that is fine. I can go through the whole process and it makes sense. But when I click the final button to move it then I get a page that says I don't have permission to do that action.

James.
Re: ID For Messages to Move [message #162359 is a reply to message #162353] Thu, 29 April 2010 18:17 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've tried it on my forum and are unable to reproduce. Can you prepare a test case or provide me access to a forum where it can be reproduced?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Allowing only particular domain email registrations
Next Topic: ldap user login
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 20:28:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03901 seconds