FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » changing from png's to gif's
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
changing from png's to gif's [message #16563] Fri, 06 February 2004 16:13 Go to next message
blueview is currently offline  blueview   United Kingdom
how do i change the default theme to point to the gif version of icons rather than the png version eg to top_login.gif instead of top_login.png etc etc.

Which files/template files do i need to change? is there an easy way? thanks.
Re: changing from png's to gif's [message #16566 is a reply to message #16563] Sat, 07 February 2004 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AzaToth is currently offline  AzaToth   Sweden

Had that problem earlier, then from gif to png, solved it with this one-liner (in tmpl-dir):
 $ for e in $(perl -e 'chdir("../images"); ($i = `ls *.png`) =~ s/\.png//g; print $i'); do perl -pi -e "s/$e\\.gif/$e\\.png/g" *; done

But... Why change back to gif?
Re: changing from png's to gif's [message #16567 is a reply to message #16566] Sat, 07 February 2004 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks but i don't understand, is this one line that has to be added to a specific file, if so which; or is it a one line standalone file? i don't understand these things

need to change to gif because the png's take an age to download in ie .. some kind of javascript problem the gurus tell me. how this becomes part of the default installation (95% of surfers use ie don't they?) is beyond me but what do i know.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 February 2004 18:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: changing from png's to gif's [message #16569 is a reply to message #16567] Sat, 07 February 2004 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

blueview wrote on Sat, 07 February 2004 19:29

thanks but i don't understand, is this one line that has to be added to a specific file, if so which; or is it a one line standalone file? i don't understand these things

need to change to gif because the png's take an age to download in ie .. some kind of javascript problem the gurus tell me. how this becomes part of the default installation (95% of surfers use ie don't they?) is beyond me but what do i know.

That's the holy question, follow rules of Redmond or use the official standars from w3c? (and it's good if ie loads it slowly, then more people is going to use alternative browsers Smile)

and that code, it's ment to be excecuted in some POSIX-compatible shell.
Re: changing from png's to gif's [message #16572 is a reply to message #16569] Sun, 08 February 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm not interested in a crusade against microsoft, i just want a forum that works nicely for my users. life's too short.

as for the posix stuff, presumably that means i need shell access, which i don't. is there another way? what files do i need to change. here's hoping ...

[Updated on: Sun, 08 February 2004 10:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: changing from png's to gif's [message #16573 is a reply to message #16572] Sun, 08 February 2004 13:58 Go to previous message

blueview wrote on Sun, 08 February 2004 11:31

i'm not interested in a crusade against microsoft, i just want a forum that works nicely for my users. life's too short.

as for the posix stuff, presumably that means i need shell access, which i don't. is there another way? what files do i need to change. here's hoping ...

ok, you need to change all entries for the specific files in your .tmpl-files from .png to .gif
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Persistent Connections
Next Topic: Getting rid of "Time taken to generate"
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 03:17:06 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03069 seconds