FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » subscription - what's wrong?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
subscription - what's wrong? [message #16534] Wed, 04 February 2004 10:14 Go to next message
Sebastian_T is currently offline  Sebastian_T   Poland
FUD 2.6.0 (stable). before was 2.3.8

don't know, what is wrong with the subscribtion (now, but also was before, more rarely). almost no one of our users don't receive mails with subscribed forums (notifications about private messages are ok, also during registration, mass mailing is also ok).
what we are doing wrong or where should we check?

Sebastian
Re: subscription - what's wrong? [message #16599 is a reply to message #16534] Mon, 09 February 2004 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Tell you users to mark the entire forum read, it should work fine after that. I suspect some users may have messages that they've been notified about and never visited. So the forum is thinking that it does not need to notify the user.

FUDforum Core Developer
Odp: Re: subscription - what's wrong? [message #16605 is a reply to message #16599] Mon, 09 February 2004 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope... All of posts read, there is no subscription...

Sebastian
Re: Odp: Re: subscription - what's wrong? [message #16606 is a reply to message #16605] Mon, 09 February 2004 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If there is no subscription how do you expect to get e-mail notifications?

FUDforum Core Developer
Odp: Re: Odp: Re: subscription - what's wrong? [message #16619 is a reply to message #16606] Tue, 10 February 2004 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, no, no. forums are subscribed, but "there is no subscription received" Wink (it's just my English not so good Wink )
I marked all posts read (as I found about it somewhere in forum here), but did not receive most of subscribed forums (I receive, for example, 2-3 posts, but another 20 I don't receive)

Sebastian
Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: subscription - what's wrong? [message #16628 is a reply to message #16619] Tue, 10 February 2004 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The reason for this could be simple. To avoid spamming the user the forum only sends notification is the user had visited the topic they were last notified about. So, if you get a notification about topic ABC and don't read that topic you would not see any further notification for about 1 week.

FUDforum Core Developer
Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: subscription - what's wrong? [message #16785 is a reply to message #16628] Wed, 18 February 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hm, we tried everything what you wrote... all posts marked as "read", when sometimes notification is received, we click on it to visit a topic, but still receive only 0,1% of all posts (it's not counted, just for imagination Wink ). we receive all notifications about private messages.

where could be something wrong? where to check? or maybe it's our mailserver? but if mailserver, there won't be any notification, not only for subscribed topics...

TIA

Sebastian
Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: subscription - what's wrong? [message #16789 is a reply to message #16785] Wed, 18 February 2004 14:28 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you receive some messages and not others it is VERY unlikely that the problem is with the mail server. That said checking mail server logs won't take more then a few minutes, just in case.

The reason for the notification confusion can be due to the logic applied when sending notifications for forum messages.
As I have mentioned previously, if you received an e-mail notification and not acted upon it (viewed the message) you will not receive further notifications for a minimum of 1 week regarding that topic.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: CHANGE MY HOME URL??
Next Topic: Upgrade to MySQL 4 from 3.23
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 17:33:32 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08824 seconds