FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » make the forum look up the mail
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
make the forum look up the mail [message #17711] Tue, 13 April 2004 18:00 Go to next message
cyberscribe is currently offline  cyberscribe   United States
I'm stupid... really stupid. Just so there are no illusions here. So if you undertake to help me fix this problem please remember that I have the intellect of an 11 year old. No scratch that make me six.

I installed the forum, I created the topics, I linked the email accounts (after I created them), I set the mailserver to the proper domain.

but I don't know how to make the rest of it work (how to make the forum go get the emails off the mail server), the manual says having a procmail utility... I'm assuming that I don't. I saw the sample script for the procmail process, but I don't know how to implement it or where to find the utility that I would need to make it work.

the forum is located at www.godshosts.net/fudforum/index.php

I have set up a general admin account for anyone who wants to try fixing it, just contact me.

Thanks in advance.

hey... I'm drawin a blank on this one...

[Updated on: Tue, 13 April 2004 18:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: make the forum look up the mail [message #17716 is a reply to message #17711] Tue, 13 April 2004 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Having an admin account is not going to allow anyone to help you. Basically what you need to do is via an external utility make any e-mail that goes to the addresses you've created by piped to the forum's maillist.php script.
This can be done in any number of ways, the one I prefer happens to be procmail, but if you search the archives on this forum you will find a variety of different implementations that also work.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: make the forum look up the mail [message #17718 is a reply to message #17716] Tue, 13 April 2004 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK.. so I need to install procmail on my server? I'll try to figure out how to do that. Get back to you later.

Re: make the forum look up the mail [message #17721 is a reply to message #17716] Tue, 13 April 2004 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about mailman, can it do what you're talking about? It comes with the CPanel manager.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 April 2004 19:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: make the forum look up the mail [message #17723 is a reply to message #17721] Tue, 13 April 2004 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
mailman is a mailing list manager iirc, so I do not think it'll do what is needed, which is pipe messages to a script.
Re: make the forum look up the mail [message #18197 is a reply to message #17711] Thu, 13 May 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shep is currently offline  Shep   United States
Hello folks I am new to Fudform, and use it in the eGroupWare setting. I need to use the maillist to get messages from a mailing list into a given forum.

My installation is on a Windows 2000 server with PHP and MySQL. So, how do I get this thing to work?

I read elsewhere on the forum here that someone was working on this, but there has never been a reply to indicate that it is working for Windows users.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shep
Re: make the forum look up the mail [message #18204 is a reply to message #18197] Thu, 13 May 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It should work the same way... Just make sure you are using the latest version of EgroupWare. I have not tried it on windows myself, since I don't have a windows development environment, but the code should work fine in it non the less.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: make the forum look up the mail [message #18211 is a reply to message #17711] Thu, 13 May 2004 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cannot seem to find or create maillist.php? I had to create the "scripts" folder manually, but the file is not there.

Shep
Re: make the forum look up the mail [message #18216 is a reply to message #18211] Thu, 13 May 2004 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
look inside the setup directory.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: make the forum look up the mail [message #18217 is a reply to message #18216] Thu, 13 May 2004 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK - I found maillist.php - and I have set my maillist in the admin - how do I activate it? Or run it manually? OR??? I am not sure what needs to be done next.

Shep
Re: make the forum look up the mail [message #18219 is a reply to message #18217] Thu, 13 May 2004 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You write a utility that would pipe the messages to this script, this script would that take that data and import the message into the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: make the forum look up the mail [message #18232 is a reply to message #18219] Fri, 14 May 2004 00:31 Go to previous message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 13 May 2004 14:40

You write a utility that would pipe the messages to this script, this script would that take that data and import the message into the forum.

Not being a programmer - I have no idea how to do this.

Shep
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: How do I make changes to thread_view_common.tmpl
Next Topic: migrate from fudforum 2.4 -> 2.6
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 00:03:55 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02577 seconds