FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » General Chit Chat » can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #20982] Sat, 06 November 2004 17:19 Go to next message
matthieu_phpmv is currently offline  matthieu_phpmv   France
Hello
I plan to change my forums on http://www.phpmyvisites.net/ (phpMyVisites official website)

And upgrading from phorum3 -> FUDForum.

However I really need a very important feature : Non registered users can check a box to receive notifications by email when answers to their posts are posted.

Is it possible to do this with FUDForum ?
Am I clear ?

Thanks in advance
Matthieu
Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #20983 is a reply to message #20982] Sat, 06 November 2004 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Yeah, registered users can subscribe to a topic when posting a new one or replying to an existing topic. They can also subscribe to a topic without posting to it by clicking the subscribe link.

The non registered users cannot do that however.

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Sat, 06 November 2004 17:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #20984 is a reply to message #20983] Sat, 06 November 2004 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for answer

>The non registered users cannot do that however.

What a shame Sad
I can't understand why this feature is very rare in forums. In my case it's VERY interesting because people often post 1 or 2 messages (bug report or feature request) and then won't come back again.. and I don't want to force them to register, it takes time and I don't like it Wink
So they activate the notifications request by mail, and when someone answer them they can Thank him or simply continue the discussion...

What do you think of that ?
Is this on the TODO list ? Wink

Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #20985 is a reply to message #20984] Sat, 06 November 2004 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This is not planned and I think this functionality is not needed. But let me explain my reasoning.

In order for an anon user to subscribe to a topic/forum they need to provide their e-mail address and they'll need to do it for every single topic they choose to subscribe to.
In order to register on a forum (you don't need to reply to a topic to subscribe to it) only 2 additional pieces of info are needed login name and a password of choice. The consequence of registration is that now you can subscribe with a single link click.

Allowing anon users to subscribe will require the forum to implement some sort of subscription verification scheme to prevent people from subscribing others to the forum's message, etc... Essentially duplicating the forum registration functionaliy.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #20986 is a reply to message #20985] Sat, 06 November 2004 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I see... Well I think you're right but... Confused

Another question : could you please tell me the main advantage of FUDForum comparing to phorum 5 ?

Does the conversion script from phorum3->FUD works well ?

Thanks Wink
Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #20988 is a reply to message #20986] Sat, 06 November 2004 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum is much faster, it is also more secure and has a lot more functionality in it.

The conversion script worked quite well at the time of writing, if there are any issues with it, they will be resolved promtly once I am made aware of those issues.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #20998 is a reply to message #20988] Mon, 08 November 2004 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Smile

I did install FUDForum on http://www.phpmyvisites.net/

And i'm quite happy of it Wink Much more powerfull than my oooooooold phorum3 Wink

BUT
- I can't find where disallow anonymous poster to post new messages.
- I can't find where to restric one forum From being viewed by users. I'd want one forum to be allowes only for a group of users. Not only posting restrictions, but viewing messages restrictions

I also found a bug in the phorum converter (wihch is GREAT however, very very very simple to use !) :

line 386 is
$r = q("SELECT poster_id, MAX(post_stamp) AS mx, MIN(post_stamp) as mi FROM ".$DBHOST_TBL_PREFIX."msg GROUP BY poster_id");
instead of
$r = q("SELECT poster_id, MAX(post_stamp) AS mx, MIN(post_stamp) as mi FROM fud26_msg GROUP BY poster_id");

I'm waiting for your help,
Thank yo

[Updated on: Mon, 08 November 2004 14:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #21000 is a reply to message #20998] Mon, 08 November 2004 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok sorry... i read the documentation and understood..

I didn't imagine that it could be so powerfull ! I love the possibilities given for groups management..
The difference between it and phorum is incroyable Wink great work ! Smile
Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #21001 is a reply to message #20998] Mon, 08 November 2004 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Quote:

I can't find where disallow anonymous poster to post new messages.
I can't find where to restric one forum From being viewed by users. I'd want one forum to be allowes only for a group of users. Not only posting restrictions, but viewing messages restrictions

This is done via the group manager linked to from the front page of the forum. Each group has a special user called "Anonymous" this user controls the access priveleges for the anon user. Alternatively if you have many forums you can create a new group which would control access privs for all forums and use that group to disallow anon access.

The second thing can be done via the group manager as well.

Thanks for letting me know about the harcoded DB prefix, I've corrected it in the CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #21002 is a reply to message #21001] Mon, 08 November 2004 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for reply

I still get one problem :
My development forum is set to Visible only in the group management (only "Visible" is set to "yes" for this group).
But when i'm anonymous OR when i'm loggued but not with a developper login (a normal login, with no special rights), the number "141" appears instead of the normal forum name.

See it here http://ns2551.ovh.net/~phpmyvis/forums
Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #21004 is a reply to message #21002] Mon, 08 November 2004 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That is due to a bug inside the template that I've juste corrected.
Here is the patch:
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=3110

Once you apply the fix be sure to rebuild the theme so that the change takes affect.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #21005 is a reply to message #21004] Mon, 08 November 2004 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank for bugfix but i can't find
install/forum_data/thm/default/tmpl/index.tmpl

I have a /forums/theme/default/ but no index.tmpl
And i have a /adminforums/thm/ but it's empty.

Where is this file ?
Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #21008 is a reply to message #21005] Mon, 08 November 2004 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The directory will be forum_data_dir/thm/default/tmpl, the data dir being the dir you've specified during the install process.

Given how small this change is you can use the forum's template editor to implement the change.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #21009 is a reply to message #21008] Mon, 08 November 2004 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know what i tried (Optimize i can remember ?) but now the admin tool doesn't work at all :
"Fatal error : Call to undefined function: q_singleval() in <b>/home/phpmyvis/www/forums/adm/admloginuser.php</b> on line 22"
When I try to log in I have :
"Login Into the Forum
_hs
Login:
Password:
"

The _hs seems strange doesn't it ?

What did I do and what to do to correct this problem ?
Thanks
Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #21011 is a reply to message #21009] Mon, 08 November 2004 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Sounds like you've used the experimental theme optimization which does not always work :/. The easiest fix is to run the upgrade script that in the course of it's operation will rebuild the theme, which will fix the problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #21015 is a reply to message #21011] Mon, 08 November 2004 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, it worked with the upgrade script, hopefully Wink

I patched my index.tpl but it's not perfect
http://ns2551.ovh.net/~phpmyvis/forums/

I'd like that it would be presented exactly as the others boards (left image, number of posts, number of subjects, Last message, etc.)

Could you help me ?

I think after this questions it would be ok for me Wink
I love fudforums Smile Long to configure but pretty to use !
Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #21019 is a reply to message #21015] Mon, 08 November 2004 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The message layout is something you can customize by editing the drawmsg.tmpl there are a lot of topic on this matter on the forum. Use the search Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #21020 is a reply to message #21019] Mon, 08 November 2004 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually i was talking of the Board title presentation and organisation because I think it's a bug that my board doesn't display like the other ones

Here : http://ns2551.ovh.net/~phpmyvis/forums/

Thanks
Re: can a non register user receive email notifications if needed ? [message #21021 is a reply to message #21020] Mon, 08 November 2004 23:34 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Are you referring to the numbers that appear on the front page rather then the forum name/description? If that is the case the patch I've listed earlier should've done the trick as far as fixing that.
Your best approach is to upgrade to 2.6.8RC3 atm and then apply the patch.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: CFDD
Next Topic: In case you haven't heard...
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:40:01 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02241 seconds