FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » How to receive every new post of my forum by email ? (i'm administrator)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
How to receive every new post of my forum by email ? (i'm administrator) [message #21049] Wed, 10 November 2004 18:11 Go to next message
matthieu_phpmv is currently offline  matthieu_phpmv   France
Hello,

First thanks for FUDForums, i love them (I used the old phorum3 before Wink)

I can't find the answer of my question : how can I receive all new messages by email ?

I could do this with forum3 it was very well because I didn't have to check forums to see new messages, I received them in my mailbox as if it was a newsletter.

Must I look around the newsletter feature ? Is it simple to implement ?

Thanks in advance for answer
Re: How to receive every new post of my forum by email ? (i'm administrator) [message #21050 is a reply to message #21049] Wed, 10 November 2004 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
In order to recieve e-mails about new messages you need to be subscribed to the topic where the messages are being made.
To recieve notifications about new topics you need to be subscribed to the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How to receive every new post of my forum by email ? (i'm administrator) [message #21051 is a reply to message #21049] Wed, 10 November 2004 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Really ?

I can't receive every new post by email ?
If not, wouldn't you think it would be a great (and simple ? Rolling Eyes) feature ?

By example for you, are you always browsing these forums to look after new posts ? I think it takes a lot of time !
When receiving new messages, i configured thunderbird to class them by post, and to automatically move them to a special sub directory (in thunderbird).
It creates a forum in my email box : VERY useful, simple, quick.
I loved this feature.
What do you think of that ?
Re: How to receive every new post of my forum by email ? (i'm administrator) [message #21052 is a reply to message #21051] Wed, 10 November 2004 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, you actually can by using the mailing list functionality. You can setup a mailing list for a a particular forum and have it "syncronize messages" to the mailing list. The effect will be that all forum posts will be e-mail to the specified address.

I don't browse for new posts, EVER, I just click on the "Unread Messages" link Smile.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How to receive every new post of my forum by email ? (i'm administrator) [message #21093 is a reply to message #21049] Fri, 12 November 2004 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dataj1998 is currently offline  dataj1998   Germany

Another nice feature you could use: make use of RDF. Then you get all the new posts in your prefered newsreader.

The advantage is, that you needn't read any post. You get only the headings and the first few words. So you can decide if you need to read the post or not.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 November 2004 17:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to receive every new post of my forum by email ? (i'm administrator) [message #24752 is a reply to message #21093] Thu, 12 May 2005 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
>Another nice feature you could use: make use of RDF. Then you get all the new posts in your prefered newsreader.

I'd like to yes, but how to do this please ? Smile

I tried to add http://xxx/forums/rdf.php
for example in thunderbird, as a RSS feed, but it doesn't work.
Titles of posts are catched well, but nothing else is ok (url, message, etc.)

weel don't laught please, i'm a really beginner with this tech.
Thanks for support!

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2005 22:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to receive every new post of my forum by email ? (i'm administrator) [message #24753 is a reply to message #24752] Thu, 12 May 2005 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Mexico
Administrator
Core Developer
Use the forum generated RDF feed (XML feed).

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How to receive every new post of my forum by email ? (i'm administrator) [message #24754 is a reply to message #24753] Thu, 12 May 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for a so fast answer but as you can see i edited my post explaining my problem.
Thank you
Re: How to receive every new post of my forum by email ? (i'm administrator) [message #24757 is a reply to message #24754] Thu, 12 May 2005 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=help_index&section=boardusage#syn dicate

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How to receive every new post of my forum by email ? (i'm administrator) [message #24759 is a reply to message #24757] Thu, 12 May 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank for link.

I tried your example, which should be as said 'readable by RSS readers'

http://www.phpmyvisites.net/forums/rdf.php?mode=m&l=1&n=10&basi c=1

but in thunderbird it's not readable.

I only receive these emails

Quote:

From - Fri May 13 2005 00:28:24 GMT+0200 (CEST)
X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
Date: Fri May 13 2005 00:28:24 GMT+0200 (CEST)
Message-Id: <rdf:///#$6FwSc1(at)localhost(dot)localdomain>
From: <phpMyVisites Forums | International support (english) / French support RDF feed>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: (no subject)
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Content-Base: rdf:///#$6FwSc1

<html>
<head>
<title>(no subject)</title>
<style type="text/css">

body {
margin: 0;
border: none;
padding: 0;
}
iframe {
position: fixed;
top: 0;
right: 0;
bottom: 0;
left: 0;
border: none;
}

</style>
</head>
<body>

<iframe id ="_mailrssiframe" src="rdf:///#$6FwSc1">
(no subject)
</iframe>

</body>
</html>

thanks for help

ps : are these great features available in others well know forums (phpbb, etc.)
Re: How to receive every new post of my forum by email ? (i'm administrator) [message #24790 is a reply to message #24759] Sat, 14 May 2005 14:40 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've just tried your feed in Mozilla Thunderbird and it works. The RSS feed validator also reports the feed as valid.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: forum_login.php
Next Topic: Multiple Functions
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:57:31 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02383 seconds