FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » PDF
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: PDF [message #21331 is a reply to message #21328] Thu, 25 November 2004 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Anonymous   United States
I'm not sure if I agree that it would make it impractical. The PDF functionality (I've worked with both libpdf and fpdf class lib) never seemed to be a slow process in either case..

Sure, if one were to run FudForum on a very old and slow machine, yes it would be too slow to utilize since any PDF generation is horribly slow because it is a CPU intensive task.

For a very small project of my own, I tried out implementing the fpdf class, and I was surprised to see that, not only was it easy to implement (but somewhat of a pain to get the grid lines where you want them), it was rather robust.

The performance hit that a PDF class lib has is when it needs to generate a rather complex page, and the resulting pages from FudForum are straightforward, clean, and, generally not complex. :) (one of the things I like about FudForum as a whole!)

Anyhow, it was just a thought.. I didn't know if anyone had ever considered it...

Thanks for the response!

Ilia wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 08:59

Good question :)

Generating PDF is already a fairly slow process even when a PHP extension is used. Using a PHP class (much much slower) would only worsen the process and make this impractical on any significant scale.

[Message index]

Read Message icon3.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message