FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Step by step mailing list instructions
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Step by step mailing list instructions [message #22319] Thu, 27 January 2005 16:16 Go to next message
FuddyTom is currently offline  FuddyTom   Thailand
The install script is wonderfully self-documenting and the admin config pages similarly helpful. But where are the detailed instructions for integrating with a mailing list?

The Mailing List Manager tell me that
/home/<account_name>/FUDforum/scripts/maillist.php 1
is the execution line that you will need to pipe the mailing list messages to.

I'll assume the file is a result of piping the messages and I don't have to create it, because it doesn't exist now.
+-------------------------------------------------------------+
EDIT: I assumed wrong; maillist.php is a PHP script.
+-------------------------------------------------------------+

So, how do I pipe the messages to this file? I assume that is what the following example code does.

:0:
* ^TO_.*php-general(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net
| /home/forum/F/test/maillist.php 1

I assume I have to change the email address to the same address as I provided to the Mailing List Manager and change the target of the pipe to exactly the same path as the execution line.

Now for the tricky part: how to use this pipe command? Do I set something to run on a cron job?

Thankyou in advance for any help.

System:
Apache 1.3.33 (Unix) [Redhat actually]
PHP version 4.3.10
No shell access

[Updated on: Fri, 28 January 2005 07:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Step by step mailing list instructions [message #22321 is a reply to message #22319] Thu, 27 January 2005 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The address needs to be changed to reflect the address where the e-mails will be arriving to. The bit of code shown in the example is something you'd place inside your procmail file.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Step by step mailing list instructions [message #22327 is a reply to message #22321] Fri, 28 January 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank-you for that advice about the procmail file.

Now, I have a problem with maillist.php - it doesn't exist in my scripts folder. Does its absence indicate a failed install?

Thank-you for your help!
Re: Step by step mailing list instructions [message #22328 is a reply to message #22327] Fri, 28 January 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Make sure you have permissions to list the files inside the scripts/ directory.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Step by step mailing list instructions [message #22347 is a reply to message #22328] Sat, 29 January 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are right ... I don't have permission to see the files in script folder. It seems that the installer set the permissions to 'nobody', maybe for very good reasons, but, nevertheless, reasons I don't understand. Is this the permissions that Fudforum needs to run maillist.php?

My system administrator tells me that maillist.php is not in the scripts directory. So these are my problems:

1. I have no permission to see inside the scripts directory.
2. I understand that the needed file is not in the directory.
3. I don't know where to get maillist.php or how to add it to the scripts directory.

I have managed to configure Fudforum to send mail to my mailing list - that part is well documented in the usual high standard.

Thank-you for your support in this matter to date.
Re: Step by step mailing list instructions [message #22353 is a reply to message #22347] Sat, 29 January 2005 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The forum get's installed via the webserver, so any of the created files by it are owned by the webserver user, in your case "nobody". By default the forum sets secure file permissions on the files it creates to prevent other users on the system from reading them. You can "unlock" the file permissions via an admin control panel for this purpose.
If you don't make maillist.php inside the scripts directory (you can confirm this using the forum's built-in file manager) you can download one from the CVS or run the upgrade script which will create this file.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Step by step mailing list instructions [message #22357 is a reply to message #22353] Sun, 30 January 2005 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank-you very much... you have been most helpful. I do have the maillist.php program in the scripts directory, and it did have the wrong path to the php binary, as your documentation warned.

Now onto sorting out procmail! Once again, thanks for the program, it's documentation, and your support.
Re: Step by step mailing list instructions [message #28064 is a reply to message #22321] Mon, 10 October 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hurry   India
Greetings! Where and how do I get this procmail file or script and where do I install it and which files do I have to change and where to add the code in the procmail file? Please do help.
Re: Step by step mailing list instructions [message #28071 is a reply to message #28064] Mon, 10 October 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FuddyTom is currently offline  FuddyTom   Australia
I can't help you with procmail as I gave up on it. Sorry.
Re: Step by step mailing list instructions [message #28078 is a reply to message #28064] Mon, 10 October 2005 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Procmail is a system utility already available by default on most *nix systems. If you don't have it, you can find it on freshmeat.

As far as writing procmail recepies, there are many detailed guides online, just search for them.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Step by step mailing list instructions [message #28096 is a reply to message #28064] Tue, 11 October 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FuddyTom is currently offline  FuddyTom   Australia
Greetings Tom! Are you using Mailman now? I have just uploaded mailman and am trying to install it. I have uploaded it in the /public_html/mailman whereas my fudforum is in /public_html/emailforum . I hope that is ok.

Can you please please tell me what do I do after Mailman installation? Which file of mailman do I have change or what do I have to add in which file for piping it to fudforum?

I will be very obliged and grateful to you if you can help me by sending me a clear step by step process to link mailman with fudforum.

Awaiting your kind reply, Hurry.

Hi Hurry,

I'm not using Mailman, or FudForum, for that matter. Mailman is not really a replacement for procmail, it's more about maintaining a mailing list, whereas procmail is more about controlling mail coming into your inbox. It's possible that procmail could supply some mailing list functionality. Procmail is not easy... except for the experts.

I cannot suppy you with step by step instructions because I haven't done it myself! Sorry about that, it was too hard for me.

But if you do manage to get it to work, please do post a step by step of what you did, because I'm sure someone in the future would find it very helpful!

Regards, Tom

[Updated on: Tue, 11 October 2005 14:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Step by step mailing list instructions [message #28097 is a reply to message #28096] Tue, 11 October 2005 09:51 Go to previous message
Hurry   India
Hello! Thanks for the reply Tom. I am trying out Mailman now. Can you please remove my email id from your above post as soon as you can so that it does become a victim of mass-mailing bots? Thank you.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Manual Theme Rebuild
Next Topic: mysql port change
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 23:48:56 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02747 seconds