FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Calendar Discussion
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Calendar Discussion [message #23708] Sun, 27 March 2005 00:07 Go to next message
Jorakae is currently offline  Jorakae   United States
I've just been halted in my migration status to FUDforums just because of the lack of having a calendar. I'll lose it on my current forums and I'm not sure my members will be satisfied with that. I've done some research on the topic and found that it's been suggested often but there hasn't been much in the pursuit of implementation. Here is how I think it should work with answers to the questions once posted some time ago:

Who can access?

This should be allowable by group permissions.

Show birthdays or not?

Optional setting by user with option to turn on or off through registration/profile settings/calendar control panel by admin.

Allow forum calendar and personal calendar?

Never thought about that, but that would actually be a great feature. This should probably also be a feature only enabled through a calendar control panel.

Who can add events?

Set by group permissions.

Recurring events?

Yes.

Additionally it would be nice to see some sort of current events on the main page somewhere. Probably near the bottom. Again, this could be an optional display and location feature set by admin in control panel.

Why FUDforum should implement?

First of all, if people don't want to use it, this should be an optional item set by the admin. However, in my humble opinion it would greatly enhance the already outstanding base feature set. Here is how it is used on old forums (in the process of migration) today:

1. Events are posted on the calendar.
2. My members find they like to meet up with other members before events and like to be able to post their schedules to compare with other members for coinciding times. This creates a real bond amongst my members.
3. Holidays are posted from several cultures.
4. Birthdays are shown, but an optional setting by the user.
5. Grouping of events so that where there are 2 birthdays, 1 events, and several people attending it doesn't run off the calendar. Instead of listing all the events in that scenario, it lists the total number of events for that day. That is then clickable to show all events and descriptions of each event.
6. Members that have permission can post topics and replys to the calendar as events.

A great feature I don't have now would be have events with enrollement and the ability to allow users to attend events. Maybe even send invites to other users through PM? For example, an event could be posted in the calendar and users could sign up to attend that event. Someone could then look at the attendees to see who's attending. Also the ability to send that event through PM and/or e-mail to users either globally (by admin/group permissions), or individually.

I would definitely like to further this a bit more so if there is anything else I can add, please don't hesitate ask.

Re: How about a Calendar [message #23711 is a reply to message #23708] Sun, 27 March 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   United Kingdom
Ilia wrote on Tue, 13 May 2003 12:44

Hmm... to those of you who are genuinly interested in calendar code and wish to see it in FUDforum at some point, here is my suggestion. Write detailed description of how such a feature would work (and I mean detailed) and why do you think it would be of use to at least 1/2 of FUDforum users.
If you do that there is a very good chance I'll add a calendar myself.

Hi Ilia,

Here are a few links that might help you write a calendar. I'd prefer it if you could have it starting on a Monday. You could have the option of which day to start it on - one calendar I use lets you start in on any day of the week.

http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/PHP/A-Useful-Event-Calendar-Written-In-PHP/
http://www.jtr.de/scripting/php/calendar/index_eng.html - Starts on Monday

Hope this helps.

Re: How about a Calendar [message #23717 is a reply to message #23708] Sun, 27 March 2005 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agreed with Anonymous above, what day your calendar starts on should be an optional item, then displaying 7 days in the week.

For example: If your week starts on Sunday, it will end on Saturday. If your week starts on Monday, it will end on Sunday.
Re: How about a Calendar [message #23729 is a reply to message #23717] Sun, 27 March 2005 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   United States
http://www.townofgreenfield.org

Check out Events Calendar

OR

http://www.montaguema.net

The calendar along the left side

This is what I am looking for to add to my site.
Re: How about a Calendar [message #23759 is a reply to message #23729] Mon, 28 March 2005 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I've isolated these messages as they contain some practical ideas and concepts regarding the addition of calendar to the forum.
What I'd like to see happen in the next while is the further refinment of those ideas as well as getting information about how trully needed is this feature.

Based on this information I will be making my decision about expending time towards it's development.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #23763 is a reply to message #23708] Mon, 28 March 2005 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JamesS is currently offline  JamesS   United States
The only forum based calendar that I have ever found useful is the one at Lunar Magazine. It does make it easier to find out what events are going to take place when they will occur. I think that such a calendar would be extremely useful for sites that revolve around events. However, a majority of the forums that I visit the calendar is nothing more than a birthday reminder.

I think it really depends on how the calendar would be implemented as to whether or not it would be useful and worth the development time. Should the calendar require its own forum or should it just be a link off of the main index? Either way, an API to work with the data would certainly be needed so that it could be integrated with the rest of the web site.
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #23764 is a reply to message #23763] Mon, 28 March 2005 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I must say that personally I have not seen forums where the calendar feature was @ all useful. As James had pointed out, in 99% of the cases it is merely a birthday reminder and that can be done in a far simpler fashion without the need for a full blown calendar.

The calendar would not a be a "forum" but a genuine calendar application linked from the control panel links (pm, members, etc...).

Proper implementation will likely require many new group permission settings, global vs private calendars, etc...

So there is definately A LOT of work to make this possible and given that I see very little need for it you can imagine my reluctance in adding it.

Given the exposed forum APIs it would not be that hard to tie in a stand-alone calendar app with the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #23787 is a reply to message #23764] Tue, 29 March 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia,

Regarding my above post, number 23711, calendar in a forum maybe quire useful. I have seen other forums where users can add their birthdays to their profiles, and this is then shown on the calendar. Also, important and/or useful information is also displayed, such as software releases e.t.c.

A standalone calendar, intergarated with the forum is also a good idea, and I favour this more. The above links should get you started with the code, if you were going to intergate, that is.

Hope this helps.
Re: How about a Calendar [message #23789 is a reply to message #23711] Tue, 29 March 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=Anonymous wrote on Sun, 27 March 2005 05:43You could have the option of which day to start it on - one calendar I use lets you start in on any day of the week.[/quote]

BTW, the calendar is Sun[TM] ONE Calendar Express.
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #23790 is a reply to message #23708] Tue, 29 March 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi,

There are better things to add to FUDforum than a calendar. However, if you do, please provide an option to switch it off for those of us that would not like to use it.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #23798 is a reply to message #23790] Tue, 29 March 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While there can be arguements all day about the usefullness of a calendar by those that don't use it, you will find the exact opposite arguement by those that do. I don't think one is right or wrong.

Here is what I think it comes down to. If you don't use it, or don't plan to use it, its of no obvious use. However, if you do use it, and plan to use it, it will be of tremendous use.

How needed is it by people that don't have one today? It isn't, because they don't have one. But for people But for people who have one and don't want to lose it, it's needed.

What have the people that don't use it lost? Nothing. What have the people that will use it gained? Everything.

Have any of you looked at the threads for calendar mods of other boards that don't have one built in? They are probably one of the most popular threads.

The important thing I think is the option. It would set FUDforums further apart from the competition. Having something like a calendar allows people to organize themselves and spawns return visits and thus more traffic. That's what were all after anyway isn't it? More traffic?

Not to mention, it would probably further the conversion of other boards that have calendars and don't want to lose it. I see it as a win/win/win situation. Those that don't use it or have a use for it, don't have to (make it optional). Those that will use it will make use of it. And finally, those that don't have a use for it now, but might in the future, have the option to turn it on at a later date.

As far as implementation, personal calendars might be going a bit far. It's a nice idea, but that would probably be the thing that gets the least use (but again it's nice to have the option!). A global calendar is the most important in my opinion. If there were to be versions of this calendar application, I would suggest in version 1, just to have a global calendar. Perhaps personal calendars could be implemented in version 2 if there were to be a version 2.

Just another 2 cents in to the bucket.
Re : Calendar Discussion [message #23807 is a reply to message #23708] Wed, 30 March 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DogManStar is currently offline  DogManStar   France
To be honest i was a "fan" of all this mods, calendar, blog, gallery etc. in forum.
In fact with some experiences with my site, i'm not sure it's a good idea.
The real problem is not today to find a good calendar or gallery but to have "single login" feature between all this scripts.
I wish to have a "single login" for my cms, forum, calendar or gallery for example because i want the best of all this programs.
I don't know a forum who is using a real good calendar, all are "half finished", lacking for some real features i need...
Ldap login could be a solution but not everyone can use a ldap server...

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die.
Re: Re : Calendar Discussion [message #23823 is a reply to message #23807] Wed, 30 March 2005 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenjb is currently offline  kenjb   United States
I have looked at and used many calendars for the web. To keep this short, this particular calendar has gotten my attention and I am currently using it on my website. I know this is not what this particular thread is about, choosing a calendar, but it's about integrating a calendar into FUD. At this time I choose site integration. If I have to wrap up FUD to match my site, then why not wrap up a gallery and a calendar as well. It all works out good in the end, with a little more work on my part. Hey! I even get reminders to my cell phone from my web calendar. What more could you ask for.

If you want to check it out in detail for my particular setup, pm me here.

http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php

kenjb
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #23825 is a reply to message #23708] Wed, 30 March 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I personally like this calendar. It is well integrated (which is the direction I agree it should go) in to the forum itself. It's also the calendar that I use on my current forums.

http://www.ubbdev.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=calendar

It's not the best example of how useful it is, but it is an example of a style of calendar that I think might go really well with FUDforums. It's also not the most fully featured calendar but it does the job at the moment. This is where I think FUDforums could improve and accel on the idea and style and make it its own.

Re: Calendar Discussion [message #23830 is a reply to message #23708] Wed, 30 March 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After carefully reading over the above posts I thought I'd just drop my website url here. Notice top right I have calendar events that actually could be listed anywhere, even on FUD (as per another post near the top here). Then clicking on the public calendar link take you to the full blown calendar app, that truly no one really needs unless they are counting days or using it as a scheduler.

Anyway, another penny in the bucket!

here

kenjb

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2005 01:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24076 is a reply to message #23708] Wed, 13 April 2005 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
radiox is currently offline  radiox   Switzerland
I would enjoy a calendar in fudforum. It should have the functionality to create events that are longer than 24h. That way our community could plan common activities! I don't really care about birthdays, this could be an option... Smile

I prefer a calendar application linked from the control panel. Single logon and printer friendly pages are musts. What if you would combine calendar and project management from egroupware but make it much slimmer?

Finance- and time-management are not necessary, but planning of activites over several days. Forum members should be able to register for participation or be invited and added by the poster of the event.

Additionally I suggest that you can create for each event a new topic, which is linked from the event.

webcalendar (above) could also be an alternative, after a short overview it seems as if it has all these features on board.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 April 2005 22:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24277 is a reply to message #23708] Thu, 21 April 2005 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, refusing to let this die, I took it upon myself to summarize what has been posted in the threads about the features the calendar should have. It was hard to summarize posts that only had links to other places as in most cases there was nothing descriptive about what features in particular were appealing in those calendars. So here is what we have so far:

1. Integrated functionality
  2. Seperate Calendar Control Panel
  3. Permissioned by group (event posting/viewing)
  4. Birthdays optional set by user/admin
  5. Recurring events
  6. Spanned events (events occuring over several days)
  7. Event enrollment
  8. Event descriptions
  9. Event invitations (by PM and/or e-mail)
  10. Optionlly post threads as events
  11. Listing of events on main page
  12. Week start day optional (calendar adjusts)

Now if there is something anyone else would like to see as a feature in the calendar, please continue on in this thread and I will try to update my post with the latest calendar feature suggestions so that they are all in one place and easy for Ilia to read.
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24691 is a reply to message #23708] Mon, 09 May 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keneisman is currently offline  keneisman   United States
I just use eGroupWare. It already has FF and a calendar kind of integrated together (along with lots of other things). It works fine for me. So, I guess my vote is: spend time on other things rather than a calendar.

Ken
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24706 is a reply to message #24277] Tue, 10 May 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeff is currently offline  jeff   Canada
I would love to see a calendar added. My forum is used entirely for event planning. The summary provided above by Jorakae is spot on.
I'm sure any calendar feature would be a great help attracting new users to FUDforums.

Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24719 is a reply to message #24277] Wed, 11 May 2005 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorakae wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 23:55

1. Integrated functionality
  2. Seperate Calendar Control Panel
  3. Permissioned by group (event posting/viewing)
  4. Birthdays optional set by user/admin
  5. Recurring events
  6. Spanned events (events occuring over several days)
  7. Event enrollment
  8. Event descriptions
  9. Event invitations (by PM and/or e-mail)
  10. Optionlly post threads as events
  11. Listing of events on main page
  12. Week start day optional (calendar adjusts)

Probably I do not understand point 10 correctly, but I think it should be possible to discuss each event separately, so that if somebody creates an event in the calendar, you should be able to post threads on this event. Not the way that you have to create an event as topic or thread. If you could also link easily from threads in other topics to an event and find the threads on events in a special category, it would be perfect.

Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24783 is a reply to message #23708] Sat, 14 May 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For point 10, I specifically mean that if the user has permission, they can post a thread to the forum and have it post as an event in the calendar. Discussion about that event can follow there then in that thread. So each event could be discussed seperately as it should be, it would just be in its own thread. Does that explain it better? I think it is exactly what you are asking for.
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24792 is a reply to message #24783] Sat, 14 May 2005 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the bottom line is the same. But I would appreciate if you have a special post form for events, to include standard information for each event the same way. E.g. date, time, place, organizer/chairperson, persons to invite, etc.

Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24813 is a reply to message #24792] Mon, 16 May 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
radiox wrote on Sat, 14 May 2005 11:15

Yes, the bottom line is the same. But I would appreciate if you have a special post form for events, to include standard information for each event the same way. E.g. date, time, place, organizer/chairperson, persons to invite, etc.

I think what you are asking for there is covered in point 8, but you certainly have given a bit more detail to it.

Post as event form with those types of fields added is what I think you are looking for. The question is how to implement something like that so as not to clutter it up. If anything, I think something like this should only be available for new threads and directly posting events to the calendar. Not something that would be on a reply form.
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24884 is a reply to message #23708] Wed, 18 May 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marticus   United States
Is this a CMS or a web-based discussion forum? I like the idea of being able to integrate external apps into fud or fud into external apps, e.g. fud into mambo (I really would like to see that happen), but I don't see why it is necessary for a discussion forum app to have a built in calendar. The birthday reminder option could be a nice addition because it makes the member birthday field more useful.

Having said all this, you need to know that my opinion on this matter comes from the unix world where we believe you should have several small apps that do one thing efficiently than have one bloated app that does lots of things less efficiently. All of these things integrate quite nicely.

Maybe we should focus on ease of integration of fud rather than adding bloat to fud when it does what it does quite nicely.

I am all for modular integration. If fudforum had modules that could alter the tables and templates for different apps, e.g., web calendar, mambo. Then you could focus on updates and tweaks while others focus on updating modules for each new release.

I digress.
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24902 is a reply to message #24884] Wed, 18 May 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I totally agree with you. But as the entire calendar should be an option in fudforum, that you can switch on or off, I don't think that this would bloat Fudforum. It should be a calendar not a project management tool, but something that could enhance Fud-communities.

Fudforum is made for discussions, but there are not only the three dimensions who, what and why, there are a fourth and a fifth: where and when.

Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24904 is a reply to message #24902] Wed, 18 May 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Looks you can find reasoning for virtually any feature. I mean hey it would be useful to have photo galleries for each user as well, etc...

The question is whether you want the forum to act a CMS or as a bulletin board...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24913 is a reply to message #24904] Wed, 18 May 2005 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a cms (content management system?) has a totally different scope, so that's not what i'm looking for.

i'm also not a fan of photo galleries. people should not dream of the past, they should shape their future. that's why I use fudforum: for communication in our association. additionally because it is fast and well maintained.

but communication has also to take part f2f, not only virtually. that's why i want to give users of our forum the opportunity to plan common events, and that's also what they want me to do.

sure, if it is not in the scope of fudforum to let people communicate better in reality too, then there is no reason to let people plan their events.

but i would appreciate if this would be in scope. Smile

Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24916 is a reply to message #24913] Wed, 18 May 2005 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That's the thing, no two uses of the forum are completely a like. While you have a preference for a calendar someone else would much prefer to have a gallery or perhaps a news managment being part of the forum. Soon, enough instead of a forum you have a big bloated CMS system that tries to do everything to satisfy all imaginable needs.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24919 is a reply to message #24916] Wed, 18 May 2005 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Switzerland
anyhow i have the feeling you don't understand, what i'm talking about. that's probably my english.

however, you have the perspective of a software developer that wants to keep his code simple - no problem. but there is a difference between functionality that improves communication and functionality that doesn't...

Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24920 is a reply to message #24919] Wed, 18 May 2005 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

sorry, was not logged in.
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24921 is a reply to message #24920] Wed, 18 May 2005 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Code simplicty is certainly one factor, but the other and arguable a more important one is design. This application was designed to be a bulletin board to facilite discussion between various users.
It's not there to be an event calendar, gallery or a mailing list manager. In my opinion it is better to do one thing well, then try to do a billion things poorly.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24924 is a reply to message #24921] Wed, 18 May 2005 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

you do it well! and you know how to defend it... Wink

Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24926 is a reply to message #24924] Wed, 18 May 2005 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
While this was not the case years a go now a days FUDforum provides a whole series of mechanism tools to accesss & use fudforum data. These include XML/RSS feeds, FUDAPI and forum login script that allows logging in of users into the forum from 3rd party applications.

With those tools in place, I see little need to stuff everything including the kitchen sink into the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24957 is a reply to message #23708] Thu, 19 May 2005 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   France
What about webcalendar for example using fudforum users table, and of course login script?
Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24959 is a reply to message #24957] Thu, 19 May 2005 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That'd work.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re : Re: Calendar Discussion [message #24961 is a reply to message #24959] Thu, 19 May 2005 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DogManStar is currently offline  DogManStar   France
Ilia a écrit le jeu, 19 mai 2005 22:50

That'd work.

Sorry it was me the anonymous.
My idea is one script to one task.
How? by using a single login between all php scripts.
FUDforum will be my, i hope, my spinal cord, using the users table.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die.
Re: Re : Re: Calendar Discussion [message #27207 is a reply to message #24961] Tue, 30 August 2005 01:15 Go to previous message
Small update for anyone that may have picked up and started using the webcalendar from k5n. I'd pay attention to the last update and remove (or move) scripts from the default "tools" directory. It's currently at version 1.0.1.

kenjb
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: How to stop recording in the table forumsfud_ses ?
Next Topic: Simple logged in check
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:43:13 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03082 seconds