FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » How to do Simplified Chinese search?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
How to do Simplified Chinese search? [message #25054] Tue, 24 May 2005 08:14 Go to next message
annec is currently offline  annec   Hong Kong
Hi,

I'm trying to do a search on both Simplified Chinese and English words but no result is returned. Please help!!!

I have created a topic and a message with the word "test" in them, as I try to search for the word "test" nothing is returned.

I have checked quite a few things to make sure I have setup the forum probably, the list is as follow:

1. Installed FUDforum 2.6.12 version
2. Choose "Chinese" as default forum language
3. mbstring support for Simplified Chinese is enabled
4. iconv() support is enabled (glibc 2.3.2)
5. PHP version is 4.3.8

Please kindly advice what should I do to get search working?

Thanks

AC
Re: How to do Simplified Chinese search? [message #25062 is a reply to message #25054] Tue, 24 May 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
If you chose Chinese, shouldn't you be trying to search for Chinese text? For multibyte languages FUDforum indexes text on a by character basis.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How to do Simplified Chinese search? [message #25077 is a reply to message #25062] Wed, 25 May 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

I did try to search for chinese text as well. No result is returened as well.

AC
Re: How to do Simplified Chinese search? [message #25078 is a reply to message #25077] Wed, 25 May 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Can you show me what was the Chinese message text and what was the search string so that I can try to replicate the bug on our test system.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How to do Simplified Chinese search? [message #25084 is a reply to message #25078] Wed, 25 May 2005 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Attached are the screen cap. for the search I did on my site for your reference.

Thanks Ilia

Re: How to do Simplified Chinese search? [message #25125 is a reply to message #25084] Thu, 26 May 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Fixed in CVS, here is the patch:
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=3544

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How to do Simplified Chinese search? [message #25546 is a reply to message #25054] Mon, 13 June 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ilia and,

I have upgrade my forum to version 2.6.13. However, I'm still unable to do Chinese word search (for simplified and traditional words).

I have used the Rebuild Search Index function in the Admin control panel to re-index the forum.I found out that after the re-indexing the search tables still contain nothing at all. I wonder why this is happening?

I suspect that may be some kind of setting at my server is not done properly. Would really appreciate if you can check the setting for me. Attached are some screen shots for your reference.

Thanks!!!

AC
Re: How to do Simplified Chinese search? [message #25553 is a reply to message #25546] Mon, 13 June 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The fix was added to CVS, it is not part of 2.6.13.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How to do Simplified Chinese search? [message #25571 is a reply to message #25553] Tue, 14 June 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ilia,

I have downloaded the isearch.inc.t 1.52 from CVS and replaced the exiting isearch.inc.t in my forum source directory. After that, I rebuild search index in Admin section. I checked the search and search_cache tables,both are still empty.

I proceed to do some Simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese search and nothing is returned.

What actually went wrong? please help.

Thanks

Re: How to do Simplified Chinese search? [message #25572 is a reply to message #25571] Tue, 14 June 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Did you rebuild the theme after applying the patch?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How to do Simplified Chinese search? [message #25574 is a reply to message #25572] Tue, 14 June 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ilia,

Thanks for your help. I can finally do Chinese words search.

Just wondering if it is possible to search for English word my Chinese defaulted forum?

Thanks
Re: How to do Simplified Chinese search? [message #25575 is a reply to message #25574] Tue, 14 June 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ilia,

I posted a message which contain "Learning English is important" in my Chinese forum.

As I try to search for the word "English", nothing is returned. However, if I search for the phrase "Learning English" then the search engine manage to return 1 record.

I don't quite understand how the search engine work. Can U help?

Thanks
Re: How to do Simplified Chinese search? [message #25576 is a reply to message #25575] Tue, 14 June 2005 03:56 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
On Chinese forum only chinese text will be indexed properly.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Database size and "hang time"
Next Topic: Polls voting disabled for reg users
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 03:06:11 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02777 seconds