FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » fud_read table huge
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
fud_read table huge [message #25472] Thu, 09 June 2005 09:20 Go to next message
sdefranc is currently offline  sdefranc   Australia

Hi all,

We're been running a pretty old version of FUD for a while now - 2.3.8. I've noticed lately the performance getting worse, so I thought I'd check out the database.

The major bottleneck seems to revolve around the fud_read table, which is now massive - around 519MB in size.

What is the purpose of this table? From what I can tell, it just records when a post was last read, or something like that? Is there any reason for it to be so big? What are the consequences of just blowing away that table Twisted Evil

Forum stats are as follows:

Our users have posted a total of 665976 messages inside 68347 topics.
We have 10743 registered user(s)

Thanks
Sam

[Updated on: Thu, 09 June 2005 09:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: fud_read table huge [message #25481 is a reply to message #25472] Thu, 09 June 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Sam, first you may want to upgrade your forum, it's quite a bit behind the times. It may improve access speeds to that table.

As far as the contents of that table, it is used to indicate which messages users have read. The reason it is so big, is that potentially the table could contain 1 entry per-user per topic.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: fud_read table huge [message #25494 is a reply to message #25481] Thu, 09 June 2005 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yes I'm certainly overdue for an upgrade!

So if I just wipe the contents of that table, will that mean that every user will go back to having every topic indicated as unread? I'm also looking at ways of reducing the size of the database before the upgrade.

And if so, does that mean that when a user first clicks "mark all topics as read", it will create a record in fud_read for every topic (ie. 68347 records).

Thanks again,
Sam

[Updated on: Thu, 09 June 2005 20:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: fud_read table huge [message #25496 is a reply to message #25494] Thu, 09 June 2005 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

sdefranc wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 06:12

Yes I'm
And if so, does that mean that when a user first clicks "mark all topics as read", it will create a record in fud_read for every topic (ie. 68347 records).

It's ok, I answered my own question - On my forum database I deleted every record from fud_read for my user_id only. I then clicked the "all messages read" link, and it inserted 68000+ records in the fud_read table.

How does this behaviour change in later versions of FUD? It seems not very scalable.

Regards
Sam
Re: fud_read table huge [message #25501 is a reply to message #25496] Fri, 10 June 2005 15:25 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   United States
Administrator
Core Developer
In newever versions this is done by setting just a single field.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Mailing List- Using a Reply-able email sending account
Next Topic: finduser.tmpl
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Oct 03 23:19:57 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02492 seconds