FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » How in the world does this happen??
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
How in the world does this happen?? [message #26318] Wed, 13 July 2005 17:29 Go to next message
BobB is currently offline  BobB   United States
I replaced the following image files with custom-made ones:

existing_content.gif
existing_content.png
new_content.gif
new_content.png
read.gif
read.png
tableHeaderbg.png
tableHeaderbg2.png
unread.gif
unread.png

I got up this morning, went to the forum and these had ALL reverted BACK to the stock ones. How could this happen? Does the forum itself re-load them from some remote site without any human intervention?

One thing I really like about this software is that it is so customizable. It's starting to look, however, like it's hard to KEEP it customized. Once work has been done toward that end, it keeps having to be re-done.
Re: How in the world does this happen?? [message #26321 is a reply to message #26318] Wed, 13 July 2005 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These icons were there at 1am when I turned my computer off last night, but had changed back by 10am. I had rebuilt the theme after re-replacing those files I'd modified, but the custom icons were there for at least 12 hours after that.

It's not like I got a previously cached version with my browser. If so, I would have seen the custom icons which was the last version I'd viewed. Those modified files were still in place this morning, only those icons had changed, so it's not that someone at the server restored a backup of the forum files. I did find two files called "icon-cache..." in the errors/.backup directory, the result of the recent upgrade. The forum wouldn't take it upon itself to restore those without human intervention, would it?

I keep backup copies of the original icons on my computer, but not on the server. Where could they have come from?

Does the forum do any kind of self-maintenance late at night?
Re: How in the world does this happen?? [message #26323 is a reply to message #26318] Wed, 13 July 2005 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The custom images should go into thm/default/images/ directory. Then when you rebuild the theme they will not end up being overwritten.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How in the world does this happen?? [message #26324 is a reply to message #26323] Wed, 13 July 2005 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 13:52

The custom images should go into thm/default/images/ directory. Then when you rebuild the theme they will not end up being overwritten.

I have them in (in our specific case):

/srv/www/hml/htdocs/theme/default/images

I'll also copy them to the "thm/default/images" directory.

These did not seem to get replaced when I rebuilt the theme. I even did shift+refresh at the time to make sure I wasn't seeing a previously cached version. The custom icons were there for about 12 hours after rebuilding the theme.
Re: How in the world does this happen?? [message #26325 is a reply to message #26324] Wed, 13 July 2005 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Do you have more then 1 theme active? If the images are inside thm/default/images they should be placed in correct paths on theme rebuild.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How in the world does this happen?? [message #26326 is a reply to message #26325] Wed, 13 July 2005 19:30 Go to previous message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 14:12

Do you have more then 1 theme active? If the images are inside thm/default/images they should be placed in correct paths on theme rebuild.

No. I do intend to build themes eventually, but haven't had time to start learning about that aspect yet.

Perhaps I'm remembering the sequence of events inaccurately. Maybe I did the shift+refresh before rebuilding the theme, not after. It's the only explanation that possibly makes any sense.

I had no idea those image files lived in another directory. I found the path to them and replaced them there. I didn't know I needed to replace them elsewhere.

There is a lot to learn about this software. Much of the learning process is trial-and-error.

Thanks.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Installing upgrade un-did many changes
Next Topic: Create Low fi version
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 19:24:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02771 seconds