FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Problem when creating new user from mailing list
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Problem when creating new user from mailing list [message #26359] Sun, 17 July 2005 22:48 Go to next message
ligesh is currently offline  ligesh   India

Currently when fudforum creates a new user based on the mail from the mailing list, it uses the REAL NAME (instead of the mail-id) as the new username. Is there a reason for this. SHouldn't the mail-id be used?

The problem is that the real name will contain capital letters, and also spaces, which isn't what a person would normally use as a forum login. So is it possible to change the code so that mail-id is used to create the new user?

Thanks.
Re: Problem when creating new user from mailing list [message #26364 is a reply to message #26359] Mon, 18 July 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Mail ID? what header is that?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem when creating new user from mailing list [message #26390 is a reply to message #26364] Wed, 20 July 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mail id is part of the 'from' header. From header is normally of the form, 'somebody(at)somwhere(dot)com' or "My Real Name <somebody(at)somwhere(dot)com> '.

As u can see, i think the right way to go is use 'somebody' as the forum username when importing from the mailling list, but fudforum - in the latter situation - uses the 'MY Real Name'.

Clear enough?

[Updated on: Wed, 20 July 2005 03:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem when creating new user from mailing list [message #26395 is a reply to message #26390] Wed, 20 July 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I would just like to know, if this behaviour is intentional - that is, there is some problem if u use the mail-id, rather than the real name. Or is it just used because mailing list is not a very important part, and not much effort has been put into developing it.

Thanks.

Re: Problem when creating new user from mailing list [message #26398 is a reply to message #26395] Wed, 20 July 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This behaviour is intentional, it is far more likely for 2 people to have the same e-mail handle then it is for 2 people to have the same 1st and last name.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem when creating new user from mailing list [message #26414 is a reply to message #26398] Thu, 21 July 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

SO can u change it to use the REAL NAME only fi there is a conflict in the mail-id?

Thanks
Re: Problem when creating new user from mailing list [message #26426 is a reply to message #26414] Thu, 21 July 2005 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It is not quite as simple as that, the way the forum builds associations is:

Check if posters e-mail is used by existing forum member. If the 1st check fails try to match the user by their name (real name, not mail-id).
If this fails to return data as well then the forum will try to create a new account for the user.

This means if the "login" part of the e-mail was used for the persons name there would be a lot of false positives. If you want to modify the code for yourself look into the match_user_to_post() function inside include/scripts_common.inc

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem when creating new user from mailing list [message #26600 is a reply to message #26426] Thu, 28 July 2005 18:23 Go to previous message

Actually i think the current method does have its advantages. WHen fud forum sends out mails on behalf of the forum users, it uses the fudform-id as the REAL NAME.

That would mean that i can recreate the whole forum from scratch by sending the mails in the mailing list back to the fudforum. I am trying to write a script to do that. The only problem is that the passwords would be reset. So you need another function to send mails to all the members the notice that their passwords have changed and also their new passwords.

I am talking about a way to recreate the forum in case everything else fails, but u have all the posts in the forum as mails in the mailing list.

Thanks.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: turn off quicklogon
Next Topic: Who adds the In-Reply To
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 17:46:03 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02513 seconds