FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Serious issue with mailing list - thread breaks when a message is modified
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Serious issue with mailing list - thread breaks when a message is modified [message #26616] Fri, 29 July 2005 10:04 Go to next message
ligesh is currently offline  ligesh   India
Hi,

If a person modifies the message after it is posted, the reply to the message from a mailing list gets added as a separate topic.

This is terrible, almost makes it useless, since we will have to monitor if the user is making any changes to his message.

i guess the message ID changes on modification, and to solve this issue, when message ID is modified, the old ID should stored somwhere and that should be compared when a mail is received. Is it possible to fix this?

Thanks a lot.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 July 2005 12:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Serious issue with mailing list - thread breaks when a message is modified [message #26620 is a reply to message #26616] Fri, 29 July 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

i think i have found the basic problem.

Fudforum doesn't set the message-id of the mails it sends out, and actually gets the message-id when the mail returns to it via the mailing list. This is a round about way, and i think is what could be root cause of the current problem. Instead, Fudforum should set its own message-id, and then the MTA will not add it again, and then it can trivially set the reply-to even if the message is modified.

---------------------------------=============
char *mutt_gen_msgid (void)
{
char buf[SHORT_STRING];
time_t now;
struct tm *tm;
const char *fqdn;

now = time (NULL);
tm = gmtime (&now);
if(!(fqdn = mutt_fqdn(0)))
fqdn = NONULL(Hostname);

snprintf (buf, sizeof (buf), "<%d%02d%02d%02d%02d%02d.G%c%d@%s>",
tm->tm_year + 1900, tm->tm_mon + 1, tm->tm_mday, tm->tm_hour,
tm->tm_min, tm->tm_sec, MsgIdPfx, getpid (), fqdn);
MsgIdPfx = (MsgIdPfx == 'Z') ? 'A' : MsgIdPfx + 1;
return (safe_strdup (buf));

}

---------------------------------------------

The above is mutt message-id generating function, and i think we should have the message id generation inside fudforum itself.

Thanks.
Re: Serious issue with mailing list - thread breaks when a message is modified [message #26621 is a reply to message #26616] Fri, 29 July 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The problem seems to be that when a message is modified its.

mlist_msg_id gets corrupted or something. Since both the sending and receiving part is getting screwed, most likely there is curruption in the message itself rather than with either sending or receiving part.

So the bug must be in the message modification code.

i hope this information is helpful.

Thanks.

Re: Serious issue with mailing list - thread breaks when a message is modified [message #26622 is a reply to message #26621] Fri, 29 July 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, i got the bug. It is exactly like i had predicted. i checked the database and found that when u modify a message the mlist_id is getting cleared to null.

I do not where this is happening. Could this be fixed?

thanks a lot.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 July 2005 12:49]

Re: Serious issue with mailing list - thread breaks when a message is modified [message #26627 is a reply to message #26622] Fri, 29 July 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Yeah, I've replied to your other post with the fix.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Serious issue with mailing list - thread breaks when a message is modified [message #30376 is a reply to message #26627] Mon, 20 February 2006 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mischa is currently offline  mischa   Netherlands
Is this fix in the latest version 2-7-4 because I have the same problem Sad

[Updated on: Mon, 20 February 2006 21:38]

Re: Serious issue with mailing list - thread breaks when a message is modified [message #30381 is a reply to message #30376] Tue, 21 February 2006 15:16 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, it is.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Protect user list from anonymous users
Next Topic: Adding users to a group using a script
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 19:38:27 GMT 2024