FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Who adds the In-Reply To
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Who adds the In-Reply To [message #26610] Fri, 29 July 2005 06:11 Go to next message
ligesh is currently offline  ligesh   India

When mutt sends a post to the mailing list, does it add the 'in-reply-to' or is it added by the mailing list? I am a bit confused here. How can the mailing list know what is the 'in-reply-to'?

Thanks.

Re: Who adds the In-Reply To [message #26619 is a reply to message #26610] Fri, 29 July 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ligesh is currently offline  ligesh   India
Both message-ID and the in-reply-to are are added by the MUA itself ( i saw the message-id to be of the form (122.qmail), and so naturally thought it was added by the MTA, but i don't think that is logically feasible. i will have to check the source code of mutt and figure it out.

Anyway, there is some small bug in the fudforum mail sending code. When a message is modified, someow the 'reply_to' is lost, and neither will fudforum add a in-reply-to when it sends out further mails, nor will it recognize mails that have been replied to this.

I have checked the code and saw 'if ($reply_to) in many places, so i will have to do a bit more searching to understand what's happening

Could ilia please help me out here.

Thanks a lot.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 July 2005 11:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Who adds the In-Reply To [message #26628 is a reply to message #26610] Fri, 29 July 2005 13:23 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
ligesh wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 02:11

When mutt sends a post to the mailing list, does it add the 'in-reply-to' or is it added by the mailing list? I am a bit confused here. How can the mailing list know what is the 'in-reply-to'?

Thanks.

The in-reply-to or references headers are added by MUA, although some MUA sometimes forget to add them.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Problem when creating new user from mailing list
Next Topic: "wordwrap" in messages sent to mailman list
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 15:20:59 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02913 seconds