FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » How to sort for popular topics  () 1 Vote
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
How to sort for popular topics [message #27545] Mon, 12 September 2005 13:01 Go to next message
Markus Allen is currently offline  Markus Allen   United States
Great, awesome forum software Ilia.

I can't believe how fast it is, too.

Onward.

I looked and searched everywhere on how to sort by 'Views' and 'Replies'...

Can you help point me in the right direction to find out how to do this?
Re: How to sort for popular topics [message #27547 is a reply to message #27545] Mon, 12 September 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
At only sorting by date is possible.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How to sort for popular topics [message #27564 is a reply to message #27547] Mon, 12 September 2005 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow... I'm surprised because FUDForum is so advanced in so many ways.

Should I post a new topic about this at FUDforum Suggestions?
Re: How to sort for popular topics [message #27565 is a reply to message #27564] Mon, 12 September 2005 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well before you do you need to know one thing and that is that the forum uses "views" for topic arrangement. This makes topic listings VERY fast even when you have tens of thousands of topics inside a single forum. However, to allow different sorts a different "view" per sort would be required, this would be quite ineffecient.

FUDforum Core Developer
FUDForum sort for popular topics [message #27567 is a reply to message #27565] Mon, 12 September 2005 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I understand... maybe.

I see you're able to sort members by posts at:
http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=finduser&usr_login=&&pc=1 &btn_submit=Find

And it's amazingly fast (but of course:>).

I'm not sure how sorting the number of member posts is different than sorting the number of 'Replies' and/or 'Views'.

If the concern is about speed (and I hear you), can't a click on 'Replies' or 'Views' open a new browser window (at the risk of loading a bit slower)?

I ask for 3 reasons:

1) When my wife is moody, I'll lock my home office door and scan my favorite forums. Often, I'll click on the 'Replies' header hyperlink to find the most active threads. I don't usually bother with sorting 'Views', but it would be nice.

2) As the forum admin, I'd like to get a summary of my top 5 or 10 (some number set in the admin) most popular forums. Even better, I'd like to syndicated that.

3) From a forum spam side of things, I had my programmer develop a quick phpBB script that analyzed the ratio of 'Replies' to 'Views'.

After manually studying several dozen popular forums, I found those with less than 3% often had a thread start with a spammy opening topic.

When the ratio was less than 3% (a global variable we programmed in the admin so it could be adjusted), the phrase [spam] was appended to the initial title of the thread.

For example:

Title: How to make millions at home [spam]

I've been using this simple calculation for a few years and while it's not perfect, allowed me to offer my forum to the public without moderation.

One other thing. The script analyzed the ratio after 100 views for (I hope) obvious reasons.

The only tweak to my forum spam script I wished to implement (but didn't because I'm a FUDForum junkie) was to erase the [spam] tag if the ratio surfaced back over 3% -- with my spam script, once the ratio fell below 3%, the [spam] tag was appended to the title for life... even if the ration surfaced over 3% in the future.

Would anyone reading this like to see this in FUDForum (or add ideas to this)?
Re: FUDForum sort for popular topics [message #27568 is a reply to message #27567] Mon, 12 September 2005 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
First (and very important) the forum does provide syndication a fairly flexible one at that (look @ admin RSS control panel). You can use that to create feeds for specific forums, most recent messages, etc...

Generally speaking a forum will contain far more topics then the member list. And the member list will get slower once the # of members becomes large. The compromise is that member list is accessed fairly rarely while topic list is one of the most frequently trafficed pages and requires outmost speed.

That said if you really want to change the sort order you can adjust the algorithm to sort by another field.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDForum sort for popular topics [message #27572 is a reply to message #27568] Mon, 12 September 2005 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Mon, 12 September 2005 12:38

First (and very important) the forum does provide syndication a fairly flexible one at that (look @ admin RSS control panel). You can use that to create feeds for specific forums, most recent messages, etc...

Hmm. I have FUDForum version 2.6.15 and I didn't see an RSS section in the admin.
Re: FUDForum sort for popular topics [message #27574 is a reply to message #27572] Mon, 12 September 2005 20:38 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
RDF Feed Managment

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Variable
Next Topic: force announcements above stickies
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:32:58 GMT 2024