FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Group Management
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Group Management [message #29874] Sun, 22 January 2006 18:13 Go to next message
jttez is currently offline  jttez   Italy
Hello.

First of all thanks for the great forum! Very Happy

Everything is all right, except the Group Management.

I want to set all forums to allow anonymous posting.

Is there a way to do this without opening 100 windows? Confused

Thanks,

jttez Cool
Re: Group Management [message #29875 is a reply to message #29874] Sun, 22 January 2006 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Something like chmod -R 755 /home/anonymous. I've a lot
of forums and want to change the permission.
Re: Group Management [message #29876 is a reply to message #29875] Sun, 22 January 2006 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Anonymous and Registered Masks

This control whether or not this group will be able to affect the permissions of the resources assigned for to this group for all of the anonymous and registered users. This is a particularly dangerous option since it can be used to grant or take away permissions from a large group of users simultaneously.

Misuse of this option, can for example block access to all registered users to all of the forums controlled by this group if used improperly."

But how can I assign the permission to all users????????????? Mad

Thanx Very Happy
Re: Group Management [message #29898 is a reply to message #29876] Mon, 23 January 2006 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You can create a new group, assign all forums to it and make sure to enable anon & all-registered special masks when you create it. Then go to user land group manager and enable reply/post permission for anonymous users.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Group Management [message #29914 is a reply to message #29898] Tue, 24 January 2006 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks
Re: Group Management [message #29939 is a reply to message #29874] Tue, 24 January 2006 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DaveQB is currently offline  DaveQB   Australia

How do you do a per forum group permissions ??

ie. Group A can only see and post in forum X while Group B can only see and post in forum Y and Group C can see and post in both X and Y ??

I have come from phpBB where this all very easy to setup; having a little difficulties in the transition on this part.

Thanx alot.

PS so far it seems to be working the way i want after using the phpBB to FUDforum php script, but would like to know hows its working so i can control it as Admin.

PSS i have read the docs and it doesnt seem to say specifically how to do this, onnly that it can be done.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 January 2006 09:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Group Management [message #29945 is a reply to message #29939] Wed, 25 January 2006 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yeah forum is assigned a group, who's permissions you can modify via the user-land group manager linked from the front page. This manager allows you to change permissions of all registered and all anonymous users as well as add special permissions for certain users.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Group Management [message #29961 is a reply to message #29874] Thu, 26 January 2006 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yeah cool, i did read that, but for me for some reason, it isnt sinking in.

For some reason the permissions i had with phpBB have come across and are working, yet there are no special groups and no special perms been made for any forums. So not sure where to start with this.

Basicly i need a group called 'private' or whatever who have special access to private forums. Another one called 'private two' that overlaps all of private except their main forum is different and the 2 groups cant see each others main forum. If that makes sense.

But the first part is confusing me, how are the perms working when there's nothing been set up ?? If something was changed in the DB by the phpBB conversion script, wouldn't that be reflected in the php frontend ??

PS Where's the IRC chat channel ?? The address i found failed to connect.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 January 2006 03:20]

Re: Group Management [message #29962 is a reply to message #29945] Thu, 26 January 2006 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ilia wrote on Thu, 26 January 2006 01:24

Yeah forum is assigned a group, who's permissions you can modify via the user-land group manager linked from the front page. This manager allows you to change permissions of all registered and all anonymous users as well as add special permissions for certain users.

So based on this to get what i want i need to:
  1. Not allow access from either anon or registered users to my private forums (write nor visibility access)
  2. Create a private group and add members to it that i want to have access to the private forums
  3. And then give this group permission to access the private forums
  4. Repeat step 3 for my 2nd private group, making changes as applicable

Am i on the right track ??

[Updated on: Thu, 26 January 2006 09:46]

Re: Group Management [message #29968 is a reply to message #29962] Thu, 26 January 2006 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Those sound like the right step to accomplish your desired goal.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Group Management [message #29978 is a reply to message #29874] Thu, 26 January 2006 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ok, sounds like a plan Very Happy

But i am still curious, how are the perms working right now, from my phpBB settings, as there are nothing special set up in the groups yet it seems to work as it was in phpBB ??

I think you wrote the conversion script, no ??

Thanx for developing some dandy software Cool
Re: Group Management [message #29980 is a reply to message #29874] Thu, 26 January 2006 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ahhhh i see step 1. is already done, hence why some of the permission thing is working.

Still dont see why when i login i can see all of the forums as expect. Or is this because i am an Admin ??

I might check with guys who aren't Admin but should have access to the Private forums, maybe the perm's haven't been copied across like i thought.

Re: Group Management [message #29981 is a reply to message #29874] Thu, 26 January 2006 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ok looks like i was right. Other users cant see any further then what a registered user can ACCEPT if they moderator a private forum, then they can see that.

So..... the phpBB conversion script doesn't copy over group permissions. Why is this so ?? Very difficult ??

I am looking into this, maybe i can add to the conversion script Smile [although its been a long time since i did SQL commands]

Re: Group Management [message #30009 is a reply to message #29981] Sun, 29 January 2006 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The phpBB permissions do not directly translate to FUDforum forum ones, so that's something you'll mostly need to restore manually.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Group Management [message #30023 is a reply to message #29874] Sun, 29 January 2006 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yeah, thats what i needed to do.

I had a look into the phpBB database to see if one can translate some of the group settings over ..... I see why it hasn't been done yet Shocked
Re: Group Management [message #30024 is a reply to message #30023] Sun, 29 January 2006 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you end up writing something automatic, I'd love to see it, so perhaps it can be added to the conversion utility.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Group Management [message #30025 is a reply to message #29874] Sun, 29 January 2006 21:18 Go to previous message

Yeah thats the plan, contribute back to the project.

But i don't think i know enough bout SQL databases as yet; rather rusty on the basics, been a few years.

I'll see what i can turn up
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Change the permissions to all members in a group in a few clicks ??
Next Topic: Upgrading from v2.6.6 to v2.7.3
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 15:31:17 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02698 seconds